Afghanistan in India T20I series, 2024

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Afghanistan in India T20I series, 2024

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

There is no big differance in those stats. Dube was part of the team when Pandya was serving ban. Pandya was taken care by Dhoni, Kohli, Rohit despite he wasn't so much good with the ball. He used to bowl only bouncers, however he was quicker then Dube. Dube wasn' t given chances like Pandya not even in IPL he was allowed to groom.There is no point mentioned to put Dube ahead of Pandya, case should be made where both should play. Unless its Shami, 4 pacers should play in the Playing XI. Bumrah, Arshdeep, Hardik & Dube. Dube might become ahead of them in those slow & sticky surfaces of USA & WI with slowers & cutters working for him.

But since its Dravid, expectation is 0% in these new performers getting picked.
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

Is Shivam Dube's bowling is like Manoj Prabhakar ? what 's 80s fan view on it ?
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

No. Manoj Prabhakar was a good bowler. He did not spray the ball all over and could swing it much more. Infinitely better bowler than Dube. Dube has very little swing. Very little pace. And, poor control. I'd use him for one over when the other team is not looking to hit and have some insurance to hide the worst bowler of the day.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:19 am There is no big differance in those stats. Dube was part of the team when Pandya was serving ban. Pandya was taken care by Dhoni, Kohli, Rohit despite he wasn't so much good with the ball. He used to bowl only bouncers, however he was quicker then Dube. Dube wasn' t given chances like Pandya not even in IPL he was allowed to groom.There is no point mentioned to put Dube ahead of Pandya, case should be made where both should play. Unless its Shami, 4 pacers should play in the Playing XI. Bumrah, Arshdeep, Hardik & Dube. Dube might become ahead of them in those slow & sticky surfaces of USA & WI with slowers & cutters working for him.

But since its Dravid, expectation is 0% in these new performers getting picked.
I too agree. We should have two #11s. Bumrah, Arshdeep (if he fails Siraj), and then Hardik and Dube both should play. If we have a spinning pitch, then Jadeja replaces Hardik. however, Dravid will play Jadeja and Hardik. Useless as he is.
Rajkumar Sharma

If we think out of the box selection, Chakravarthy can be very much useful in WI & USA tracks just like Narine has been for WI & Trinidad
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Unfortunate that Samson got in place of Jitesh. And, did what he does very well in T20Is. Fail again.

The stupidity of playing four #11s is coming back to bite us. Rohit and Rinku cannot hit because we only have Washy after this. Stupidity of selection. Even then they should keep hitting because a 100 run innings is not going to win us the match. If they are out, we lose big. But, whenever we have batted slowly because wickets were down, we lost anyway.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^Prasen9—was this written before the RoRi show in regulation time? We won alright but doesn’t bode well for T20 World Cup coming up with no more international matches to play, only IPL left—a fixed league that’s single-handedly responsible for India’s futility in winning big multi-lateral tournaments.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

Once again this match showed the ineffectiveness of our bowling attack. Our bowling attack cannot even defend a decent total against the minnows, how do we expect it to do so against AUS or ENG in a high stakes game; and this will again cause us to bow out in a World Cup when we are batting first.

Also just having Bumrah back will not fix the issue. While Bumrah may restrict the flow of runs from 1 end, he often does not get many wickets, especially top order ones.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I wrote it when India was 65/4 at the end of 11 overs. Spending 11 overs was too much and that is what prevented us from getting a par score. Remember this is my least favorite stadium, MC in Bengaluru. I don't like very short stadiums. Par on this ground was perhaps 220. It was incredible hitting in the last 8 overs that brought us to a near par score. As we saw even a weak batting lineup such as Afghanistan almost got the score. Ideally, even if 4 wickets are down, we should not "stabilize" beyond maybe 8-10 overs. We have to take the risk and start hitting. Rohit and Rinku could not because of our 4 #11s. With only Washy left, and that too a player who averages 10 runs/inning or so, they had to delay the hitting until the 12th over. Due to a weak bowling with a rudderless debutant, we escaped to 212. That is not going to happen everyday if we bat to 65/4 in 11 overs.

Rank bad bowling by Mukesh, Avesh, Bishnoi, etc. Somehow Washy was superb! Go figure.

Dube was utterly crappy again. He should be restricted to one over and not two.

Washy 28.5@7.2. Axar 24.2@7.3. Jadeja 28.4@7.1. Bishnoi 19.5@7.5. Kuldeep 14.1@6.7.

I would rather take the batting of Axar, Jadeja, and Washy. Along with Kuldeep. Among the former, Axar and Jadeja have batted better than Washy. So, Axar, Jadeja, Kuldeep would be my three. In West Indies, slower bowlers rule. I would argue we need to take Washy or Bishnoi too depending upon whether we want a more strike bowler or a more containing bowler who can bat.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I don’t know how Sundar did well today. He is a walking injury magnet and inconsistent, especially with bat. I would only consider him for test matches, if at all.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

3 overs 18-3 is absolutely superb when teams are scoring 212, i.e., over 9 runs/over. 6 runs/over especially taking out about half of their batting muscle giving away 6 runs/wicket. Jadeja would dream of but rarely achieve this in T20Is. Without Washy we lose this match out and out. Sundar's bowling in T20Is career record is about the same as Jadeja's with Washington being slightly more expensive per over. Maybe because Jaddu started playing much before Sundar and run-rates have increased in the recent years.

I don't care if someone is injury prone. We get worse outcomes by playing players for 7 matches and them sucking in all 7 matches. I'd rather play someone for 3 matches and they are good in those three matches falling back on the backup. Our best bowling allrounder (spinner) is Axar, whose batting longevity perhaps is the issue. But, he is much better than the Jadeja types who scores more runs without getting out but is old style and uses up too many balls. Washy is a fast batter but cannot score consistently. That is, we do not have a true spin bowling allrounder who can both bat and ball.

I will take you literally. I don't know how Washy did well either but he managed to do so and won India the match. His contribution was at par with that of Rinku I'd say. Rohit, of course, was sublime.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Interesting. I guess I am swayed by Washy's early career success. I checked the bowling of Indian spinners in the last three years (qual: 8 wickets). Here it is:
Kuldeep Yadav 2021-2024 14 14 47.5 1 295 20 5/17 14.75 6.16 14.3 0 1 investigate this query
Ravi Bishnoi 2022-2024 24 24 93.4 0 703 36 4/16 19.52 7.50 15.6 1 0 investigate this query
AR Patel 2021-2024 41 39 124.1 1 921 40 3/9 23.02 7.41 18.6 0 0 investigate this query
R Ashwin 2021-2022 19 19 71.0 1 479 20 3/20 23.95 6.74 21.3 0 0 investigate this query
RA Jadeja 2021-2023 16 15 49.5 0 354 14 3/15 25.28 7.10 21.3 0 0 investigate this query
YS Chahal 2021-2023 35 34 118.3 1 953 37 3/20 25.75 8.04 19.2 0 0 investigate this query
Washington Sundar 2021-2024 17 16 46.3 0 356 13 3/18 27.38 7.65 21.4 0 0 investigate this query
Sorted by average. So, Sundar has been the worst wrt runs/wicket and runs/over if you take out the horrendously expensive Chahal, who was second worse. Jadeja has bowled better. But, Ashwin has bowled much better than Jadeja. Our best three bowlers have been Kuldeep, Bishnoi, and Axar. Axar is a tad more expensive than Jadeja. Bishnoi is the most expensive. Kuldeep is in another world.

This is possibly why people don't like Sundar that much in T20I teams and perhaps it is justified. Nevertheless, today, he was superb.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It was a crazy bit of decision-making at the end. In super-overs, you pretty much have to send your pacers. It is similar to the last over of an innings. We used Mukesh. And, then we used Bishnoi. The logical choice would have been Avesh but the team management seems to have been so down after his 55 run performance that they did not give him the ball. They also did not use Kuldeep, our best bowler perhaps because he bowls slower and is not equipped to bowl a last over. And, they did not want to go to Washy, who bowled very well today and was miserly. They possibly went for the fastest spinner? These are bad signs for Avesh then.

Mukesh and Avesh have both been awful. 32.5@9.3 Avesh and Mukesh 34.3@9.4. Horrendous. Neither can really bat. We are losing these spots when we could have tried two promising youngsters. Avesh has gotten 20 matches and Mukesh 14. How much more do we need to see of these two and the likes of Ishan and Samson to know they are bad while others are starving for chances?

Shivam Mavi can bat a bit. DLC can bat a lot. Why are they not there? They are not worse bowling wise than these two or the likes of Prasidh or Umran who we have tried recently. Why are Mavi and DLC not being given more chances?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

DLC is another walking rehab citizen who prefers the cozy confines of NCA. We disagree on this, but no place for such perennial softies in my team. Has he even played much domestics lately?
Rajkumar Sharma

prasen9 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:09 amShivam Mavi can bat a bit. DLC can bat a lot. Why are they not there? They are not worse bowling wise than these two or the likes of Prasidh or Umran who we have tried recently. Why are Mavi and DLC not being given more chances?
Mavi is injured and DLC is one of the worst end over bowler in India