England in India 2024-25 : The Pataudi Trophy

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: England in India 2024-25 : The Pataudi Trophy

Post by arjun2761 »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:21 pm On a different topic, it is really irritating that the term "chinaman" to describe Kuldeep Yadav's stock ball is no longer usable for some political-correctness reasons. The Chinese should be flattered that there is a term in cricket that comes from a cricketer of Chinese origin inventing a type of bowling. Kuldeep doesn't bowl a "leg break" unless he is bowling a googly. The stock ball he bowls is a chinaman. Now apparently it can only be called a left arm unorthodox ball! Ludicrous!
I believe the term is offensive in the US because of the way it was used. Otherwise, in isolation, the usage could be similar to Englishman or Welshman which isn’t considered derogatory.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: England in India 2024-25 : The Pataudi Trophy

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:47 am Mohinder Amarnath over the likes of Vengsarkar and Viswanath, if they are in consideration. Even otherwise, as a batting all rounder over others would be a worthy consideration.
Vengsarkar - only in India because of his much better performances at home.On the other hand, Mohinder's strength was abroad. Vishwanath was good. Absolutely superb player to watch. Did well across the globe and many times when the chips were down. But, so have a lot of other people. And, some more frequently and consistently.

My away team would be:

Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Amarnath plus the keeper and bowlers I supported in India and in the overall team.

Amarnath has played much better abroad than Kohli, who has a decent away record but is a giant at home. On the other hand, Amarnath would be sublime abroad and then come back home and score a bunch of zeros, etc. Jimmy's home average is 30! This is why I have replaced him with Kohli in my alltime XI. We play half the games at home afterall. And, at home, his slow medium pace is not that effective, while being useful to give people a rest. Somehow Amarnath was awol in India, England, and New Zealand. But, he could play pace and bounce like a king.