T20 World Cup, W.Indies/USA 2024

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: T20 World Cup, W.Indies/USA 2024

Post by prasen9 »

In the past 3 years, Jadeja is batting at 37.47@138.42, and bowling at 25.28@7.1

In the same duration, Axar 19.53@149.48, and bowling at 23.02@7.41

So, the choice really is wrt a bigger hitter and more strike bowler vs a more defensive bowler and more runs. I would take both in the 15 and then depending upon the needs of the combination, wicket, opponent, I would choose a more strike bowler or lengthen the batting sacrificing the runrate, etc. Jadeja got 16 matches, Axar 41.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Hot take straight off the oven. Jurel will be the T20 WC keeper. All he has to do is outperform Jitesh in IPL

Ishan Kishen chose a bad time to request for rest. His path into indian team just became even more harder.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

This is the biggest problem in indian cricket, a player performing in one format is too soon asked to be thrown in other two format without giving him time to adjust. MSD was'nt thrown into Test cricket despite his performance in Odi Cricket. It took one year for him to make debut in test cricket. SKY's long format career is over as he was quickly shifted from T20Is to Odis & Test matches , they are doing same thing with Rinku.Rinku should have played few 50 over games for India A and then he should have been part of Odis.

At present Jurel should play every format in domestic and get ready for all important 5 BCG test matches downunder
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

This team mgmt believes that players with international success can adjust to all format. See Mukesh being selected with his domestic T20 and list A

Dinesh Karthik made the T20 WC out of nowhere after an awesome IPL. If Jurel performs 75% of what karthik did, he will get picked. Jurel has gained the trust of this mgmt and i firmly believe that he has the leg up on competition.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

We should just choose the top two wicket-keepers who score at over 25 ave and then choose by the highest SR in the IPL. Let this be a flat-out trial and the top two chosen.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

The problem is that often, it is not as black and white and then you have to take other factors into consideration. Things being roughly equal wrt IPL performances, I would pick Jurel because of the mental toughness and match-winning capability he demonstrated.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Absolutely. When things are close, we should indeed take a whole lot of things into consideration and we should give Jurel some brownie points for his superb innings and composure here. In fact, even if things are not equal but reasonably close, we should give Jurel the pip. The problem I have is when things are totally out of whack and we choose a person averaging 20 in place of another averaging 50 or similar disparities in SR as we did with SkAY.

All I am saying is that we not go into selecting a proven failure just because we have the power and we want to exercise our nepotism or just believe without any shred of evidence that that person can succeed.

p.s. BTW, what is this rating thing? Two of us thanked you for the post above (Atithee and I) and it rates your post at 50%, which I have no idea how to interpret. If we don't have a dislike button, then why is it 50%?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^Yes, the ratings is a puzzle. Once you get four ratings, it becomes 100% but no idea what happens then and what it means. Almost 10 years ago, we had a thumbs up and thumbs down option. Never liked it then. Don’t care about it now either but have no problem having it.

Oh, I just noticed that once you upvote, the icon turns to downvote. It’s really a thank you button. You can remove your prior thanks. So, it is really a “Like” button only as on various social media sites. The % is misleading. It should be just the # of votes. Could be in how Dhruv implemented it.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks. So, now the guess is that it is the number of ratings/4 expressed as a %. Let's see.
Rajkumar Sharma

It will be interesting how RR camp include Jurel in their Playing XI as they already have 5 WKBs in their Squad with Sanju & Buttler the stars
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

They played Jurel as impact player last season. Very likely that he will continue in that role

Butler, Jaiswal, Sanju, Hetmeyer, Parag or Jurel, Powell could be their batting line up. I expect Jurel to get lot of opportunities.

I hope Parag gets opportunities. If he does not do well in IPL, he will not get any traction for indian team.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

The quad injury of KL will probably make it almost impossible for KL to be WKB in the WC. The fact that he is having issues with same quad where he had surgery last year could be doubly ominous for his wicket keeping future.

We have four WkB candidates jitesh, Jurel, kishen and Pant with Pant being a long shot. A great season from Ishan and bad season from others could see Ishan making a comeback. Pant will probably keep during second half of IPL and if he is anywhere in ball park of the other three best candidates (even +/- 5 points), he could make a comeback considering that he has a brand name (though people have forgotten that he was being dropped in T20 before his injury)
Rajkumar Sharma

IPL finishes on 26th May and India's first game in T20 WC 2024 is in 5th June. So, again question of players being tired will arise.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is some talk of Kohli not being automatic for the T20I WC. This is great news. I would rather see Rohit, Yashasvi, Gill, SkAY, Rinku, Hardik, Jadeja, and a keeper be the batting lineup.

The challenge will be up to Kohli (and Yashasvi, Gill, Rinku) to show what he can do in the IPL. If they do well, then they get rewarded. If they have a poor IPL, the others who perform will get in. Let's see.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Gill is definitely part of the team. It would come down to Jaiswal or Gaikwad. Unless Gaikwad overwhelms, Jaiswal would be the other favorite

Ishan should play in middle order for MI to make a cade. Even a above average IPL season as opener may not be enough

It is doubtful for all three Jaiswal, Gill and Rinku to be in playing 11 even with Just Rohit playing. With Rohit and Kohli both playing , only One of the three will be in team. And if Kohli is dropped, there is a chance that two of them may get a chance, but not all three. The team mgmt will be afraid to trust that Jadeja and Pandya can bowl full quota of overs. So they will go with 4 full bowlers.

Rohit, Gill/Jaiswal, Sky, Pandya, Rinku, Jadeja, WkB,
Last edited by Kumar on Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.