aggy and t-sips... US and other college rivalry posts

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

aggy and t-sips... US and other college rivalry posts

Post by arjun2761 »

Starting a thread on college rivalries, as I posted something after the Asiad medal by Rutuja... Mod, Jay

jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:51 pm And I am so happy for the only Texas A&M aggy in sports that I have ever liked. Ms. Rutuja Sampatrao Bhosale. :) :notworthy:
Is an Indian aggie called an aggy? :D
Atithee

Re: Tennis at Asian Games 2023

Post by Atithee »

^^ versus Aggie?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

^^^ aggy is a single word that is both singular and plural that emerged in the internet era, only about 2 decades ago. It is a noun, adjective, adverb, and even a verb. It is used to refer to individuals and collections of what can be called people who are associated with that farm school that masquerades as a university, and also to refer to the thinking, attitude, cult nature, defeatism, ill-placed notions grandiosity, foolhardiness, and denseness, or in a nut-shell everything that is regressive and anachronistic that the said farm school stands for. Capitalizing aggy is discouraged. Only the normal people associated with THE University of Texas understand the word fully.

Examples:

aggy were in the collegate final-4 of baseball, basketball or football only once since world war II. (noun plural.)
Rutuja is the only aggy in sports that I like (noun singular)
Aditi went totally aggy today and missed a Gold (adverb)
To call Rutuja an aggy is insulting, and will be an aggy thing to do (noun, and adjective)
I would not aggy it and say that Indian tennis has been a rolling ball of butcher knives at Asiads (verb)

It is a wonderful word :) ... I wish I could make "bug" (or may be "buggy") into something like "aggy" for all matters Pak, come to think of it.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:51 pm And I am so happy for the only Texas A&M aggy in sports that I have ever liked. Ms. Rutuja Sampatrao Bhosale. :) :notworthy:

Jayakris, I am a Texas Aggie. :-)
95-98.

Years ago, I was thrilled that we had an Indian playing for the Univ and have been following Rutuja since.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:36 am ^^^ aggy is a single word that is both singular and plural that emerged in the internet era, only about 2 decades ago. It is a noun, adjective, adverb, and even a verb. It is used to refer to individuals and collections of what can be called people who are associated with that farm school that masquerades as a university, and also to refer to the thinking, attitude, cult nature, defeatism, ill-placed notions grandiosity, foolhardiness, and denseness, or in a nut-shell everything that is regressive and anachronistic that the said farm school stands for. Capitalizing aggy is discouraged. Only the normal people associated with THE University of Texas understand the word fully.

Examples:

aggy were in the collegate final-4 of baseball, basketball or football only once since world war II. (noun plural.)
Rutuja is the only aggy in sports that I like (noun singular)
Aditi went totally aggy today and missed a Gold (adverb)
To call Rutuja an aggy is insulting, and will be an aggy thing to do (noun, and adjective)
I would not aggy it and say that Indian tennis has been a rolling ball of butcher knives at Asiads (verb)

It is a wonderful word :) ... I wish I could make "bug" (or may be "buggy") into something like "aggy" for all matters Pak, come to think of it.
"aggy" is a pejorative corruption of "Aggie" which is what an alum of Texas A&M University is called. Aggie is short for "Agriculturist" and the "A" in Texas A&M came from "Agriculture". Our (I am an Aggie) main school rival is the Univ of Texas at Austin. We call them "t-sips" and they call us "aggy" and maybe other things. TAMU is historically blue collar and UT is white collar in perception so Aggies like to make fun of UT Longhorns that they are tea-sipping elites while the Aggies are son of the soil farmers. Of course, none of this is valid now, it made sense in the 1880s.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Sympathies apart, I have to add you as one more among the group of non-sports aggies I like! :) ... I have to admit that A&M beat UT in the matter of producing a medal winner for India. I don't think we have had a UT alumnus winning a medal for us (Divij was a UT recruit but never went there).

(One of the greatest human beings to ever live that not many people know, and perhaps the foreigner who helped India most in our all-time history, is a Texas A&M Aggie - Prof. Norman Borlaug, the real architect of how India in the late 60s avoided what could have been the worst famine-death disaster in World History with a green revolution that Indira Gandhi took credit for, as she covered up the real story of USA's being the country that helped India most then)
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:00 pm ^^^ Sympathies apart, I have to add you as one more among the group of non-sports aggies I like! :) ... I have to admit that A&M beat UT in the matter of producing a medal winner for India. I don't think we have had a UT alumnus winning a medal for us (Divij was a UT recruit but never went there).

(One of the greatest human beings to ever live that not many people know, and perhaps the foreigner who helped India most in our all-time history, is a Texas A&M Aggie - Prof. Norman Borlaug, the real architect of how India in the late 60s avoided what could have been the worst famine-death disaster in World History with a green revolution that Indira Gandhi took credit for, as she covered up the real story of USA's being the country that helped India most then)

Wow, I had never heard of Prof Borlaug in all these years, neither from Indian sources, not A&M sources. Looking through wikipedia, I see that he got the Padma Vibhushan from GoI, and also the Nobel Prize.

Yes, some of the qualities you mention about Aggies are spot on. A bit like Pakistanis I must add when it comes to our sports team. Every year Ags think "this is our year" and every year the same disappointments. The "back in the day" feeling is strong, though there are not many achievements in football. Last title was in 1939.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sanjay wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:21 pm Wow, I had never heard of Prof Borlaug in all these years, neither from Indian sources, not A&M sources. Looking through wikipedia, I see that he got the Padma Vibhushan from GoI, and also the Nobel Prize.
It is one of the crimes that Indira Gandhi committed. Congress government under Manmohanji corrected it with a Padma Vibhushan in 2006 but Borlaug deserved a Bharata Ratnam as among the first 5 or 6 to get it. The last few days, as MS Swaminathan passed away and paeans were being sung on his part in the Green revolution, I was feeling very uncomfortable, as the great Aggie and the country of USA were never given credit for anything. But since it was not the right time to mention it, I suppressed my itch to put in a thread in the General Chit Chat.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

And with that we should open a new “Aggy and t-sips” thread and move all these posts there.

While USA gets a lot of criticism, some of it deserved, I feel it is still the largest benevolent nation on the earth. And one key differentiator I feel is that it never really had territorial usurping motives unlike most other aggressors. But, I don’t want to get into this debate here.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: aggy and t-sips... US and other college rivalry posts

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Thread started. There may be other posts from the past in some threads that can be moved here.

I wish we had strong inter-college rivalries and fanfare in India, like in the US. If any of you have things to post from India or elsewhere, spewing hatred on your rival colleges, post away! (all in good fun)
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

jayakris wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:52 pm ^^^ Thread started. There may be other posts from the past in some threads that can be moved here.

I wish we had strong inter-college rivalries and fanfare in India, like in the US. If any of you have things to post from India or elsewhere, spewing hatred on your rival colleges, post away! (all in good fun)
Rivalries among Indian colleges are local. Did IIt not have intra IIT meet. I guess it is very expensive for kids to travel across the country.

US is probably the only country where college rivalries get media attention because of college sports broadcast.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

In my vintage, Inter-IIT meets did occur during the winter break (in December) by rotation at the various IITs (that is the only time I've been to IITM and IITB). But there were only 5 IITs then versus a lot more now.

Not sure there was a strong rivalry between the IITs even though there was overall winner. Camaraderie among the competitors was actually pretty good. My funniest story is accompanying our basketball team to a game against a DU team (St Stephens?) where the hosts constant cheer was "IIT -- go home and study" even while their team was being thrashed (Ok, losing by a few points). :D
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Well in my vintage, we even had an inter-iit/iim competition, the only time I traveled to Calcutta since IIMC was hosting it. Against 11 colleges in total between the IITs and IIMs so different times.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:13 pm
Sanjay wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:21 pm Wow, I had never heard of Prof Borlaug in all these years, neither from Indian sources, not A&M sources. Looking through wikipedia, I see that he got the Padma Vibhushan from GoI, and also the Nobel Prize.
It is one of the crimes that Indira Gandhi committed. Congress government under Manmohanji corrected it with a Padma Vibhushan in 2006 but Borlaug deserved a Bharata Ratnam as among the first 5 or 6 to get it. The last few days, as MS Swaminathan passed away and paeans were being sung on his part in the Green revolution, I was feeling very uncomfortable, as the great Aggie and the country of USA were never given credit for anything. But since it was not the right time to mention it, I suppressed my itch to put in a thread in the General Chit Chat.
Jay, thanks for letting me know! I am amazed that I had never heard of him even through A&M sources. There are some pathbreaking Profs at A&M and I see a lot of publicity given. Maybe it is because I am in the EE/CompE field and Prof Borlaug was in Agri.