Asian Games Golf, 2023

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Asian Games Golf, 2023

Post by arjun2761 »

To be clear it is your extension of my argument that is illogical. Clearly, winning an Olympic medal isn’t a biggie for Novak but extending that to say that he shouldn’t compete for a medal starved Serbia is illogical.

Furthermore, not only was your extension illogical, you also misunderstood my argument. My argument was that this failure wasn't going to scar Aditi Ashok (as someone else had alluded to earlier). Novak hasn't had the most success at the Olympics but it has had no impact on his main tennis career. On the other hand, someone like shooter Saurabh has apparently been scarred by his Tokyo failure which is much more probable when you fail in the biggest moment of your career and those big moments are few and far between.
Vee
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Vee »

jayakris wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:22 pm @Vee, It was nice to have you join... Do stay on... We need more golf discussion (and also check out other threads!)
Hi Jay,
Thank you for making me feel welcome in the Sports-India Community Bulletin Board (“BB”). I truly appreciate it. I was not planning to leave the forum, rather I was just bringing closure to the suggestion I had made in an earlier post that at the conclusion of the golf events, we should post the scores in both this topic and the broader Asian Games topic.

You guys have done a terrific job in creating this BB and sustaining it for 20 years! Not an easy task by any means. I wonder if there is anything else out there like what this BB provides for its Indian sports followers. I would love to hear about the history of this BB, how it evolved, etc.!

As a newbie to this BB, I am still trying to understand the lay of the land so as not to run afoul of the norms of this BB – As you know, I found it the hard way right after I first created this topic when my posts got moved to another section unbeknownst to me 😊

Based on my research on this BB (I’ll admit I have not gone through everything on the BB so please correct me if I didn’t get something right), it seems like Dhruv is the “owner” of the BB as he is the Admin, and there are 3 active Moderators (you, Kumar and Sameer) although I did see somewhere that there are 5 moderators for some groups (?) even though some folks have not been active for a few years.

My understanding, based on my initial experience, is that we should first get approval from the moderators to create a topic in any forum of the BB, is that right? If so, that was not apparent to me when I first joined as there was a similar topic in the Tennis section - Sameer subsequently clarified the rationale for doing that. Is there a FAQ or a “Read Me First” type posting that outlines the governance structure of this BB and approvals needed etc.? If that exists, please share that link so I and other newbies get familiar with those in the future.

Coming back to golf, you mentioned that we need more Golf discussion. Have you and other forum members discussed any specific ideas or thoughts about what we need to do in that regard – perhaps a survey was done on what the preferences are for those interested in golf? I guess it will also depend upon how many members actively participate in golf discussions currently, and what aspects of golf they and other members would like to see being discussed more to get more participation.

As I said before, I’m just a newbie here and am trying to understand how things work.

Thank you for reading this LONG post 😊
Vee

Post by Vee »

Atithee wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:19 pm You’re not leaving us, Vee. Please?
Hi Atithee,

Thank you very much for your post. You truly made me feel welcome! As I just mentioned in my reply to Jay's post, I was not planning to leave, but your (and his) posts were very kind and encouraging, and I appreciate you guys doing that!

Thanks again!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

We used to have a golf tournament. It was a lot of fun. Please go back a few years and enjoy some of the fun we had. Maybe you can revive it. It’s a good way to cover many aspects of golf. Ryder cup just ended; it was good to see Europe win.
Vee

Post by Vee »

Atithee, per your suggestion, I looked at a couple of years' worth of golf contests (the last one was in 2008 I think). It does sound like good fun. I am happy to participate in and help revive the contest, but as a new member, it will be helpful for me to first get answers to some of my questions I posted above. Once I get a primer on how this BB operates, I will be able to better help. We may perhaps do things like surveys about interest in golf contests, other surveys such as what other golf topics the members are interested in, where do we take the golf section from here (vision) and perhaps try to cultivate a greater interest in golf (looks like only a handful of members are active about golf currently).

As you can see, I have more questions than answers :)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

My suggestion is just jump into it and start ANY discussion, contest, poll, …. you want. No need to build consensus or gage interest. Those days Tiger and a few others were such an automatic choice for top spots. Now, it might be more fun and less restrictive to pick. Let me know if you need to discuss further. I didn’t realize it’s been 15 years.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

This is a fan forum. Most of us following sports.. especially Indian tennis. However, over time individuals have started other segments of the forum, discussing other sports. That inturn created interest amongst others and discussions became bigger. Now it's truly an Indian sports forum. It's upto the users to grow a segment. What I can promise is that you will be able to generate enough interested people should you patiently post. Your expertise will help others to understand the game better. Hope to see you more often.
Vee

Post by Vee »

Thank you Atithee and Omkara for your suggestions/feedback.

Let me think through this and I will circle back.
Vee

Post by Vee »

Hi Atithee and Omkara,
I thought about it, and at this time, I would prefer that someone else take the lead in reviving the golf section's members' tournament.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Hi Vee. Thanks for considering the revival of fantasy golf. I’m also not in a position to revive it. It was just a suggestion to your request for ideas to engage other forum members in the golf section. You mentioned polls—those are quick ways to increase engagement. Feel free to see what sticks. All I recommended was just do it, don’t think too much or try to build a critical mass upfront.