Asian Games Golf, 2023

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

Vee
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Asian Games Golf, 2023

Post by Vee »

arjun2761 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:04 am Update: seems like they are counting scores in the aggregate for the team competition. Top 2 women and top 3 men.
Good deduction, Arjun! Looks right to me based on the empirical data in the live scoreboard at the official site.

The reason for top 2 in women and top 3 in men could be because there are some countries that are fielding only 2 women, whereas on the men's side, I see that each country has at least 3 golfers competing. But I'm not sure though (just conjecturing).

I tried to search for the official cut rules, but haven't found them yet, but based on Sin Hombre's observation, it does look like it will be top-20 and ties for women. For men, they are currently showing 46 golfers expected to make the cut at -1 and there are 37 players at even par, so the cut line would probable be between 38 and 46 ((and ties). Perhaps prajgolf has some insights here that he can share?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Vee wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:59 pm And by that I think you meant to keep this topic going in the golf forum and not to change or alter its content. But let me know if I misunderstood.
Quite the opposite; I’m afraid, Vee. I want all Asian games discussion to say in the Asian Games thread. I wasn’t aware tennis was already separated. And, I thought you were asking about golf but it had not yet been moved to its own thread.

I’m good either way. Just nice to have another enthusiast in the forum. We need more members like you.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Vee wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:04 am
I tried to search for the official cut rules, but haven't found them yet, but based on Sin Hombre's observation, it does look like it will be top-20 and ties for women. For men, they are currently showing 46 golfers expected to make the cut at -1 and there are 37 players at even par, so the cut line would probable be between 38 and 46 ((and ties). Perhaps prajgolf has some insights here that he can share?
The cut will be top-40 (and ties)
Vee

Post by Vee »

Atithee wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:15 am
Vee wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:59 pm And by that I think you meant to keep this topic going in the golf forum and not to change or alter its content. But let me know if I misunderstood.
Quite the opposite; I’m afraid, Vee. I want all Asian games discussion to say in the Asian Games thread. I wasn’t aware tennis was already separated. And, I thought you were asking about golf but it had not yet been moved to its own thread.

I’m good either way. Just nice to have another enthusiast in the forum. We need more members like you.
Thanks for your clarification, Atithee.

Looks like Sameer is not keen on moving the discussion here, so let's go with the flow and track Asian Games golf in the broader Asian Games thread.
Vee

Post by Vee »

Sin Hombre wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:27 am
Vee wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:04 am
The cut will be top-40 (and ties)
Thank you, Sin for confirming.
Vee

Post by Vee »

Now that golf events have concluded at the 2023 Asian Games in China, here is a final summary for historical purposes (in case someone wants to look back in the future). I will paste prajgolf's final scores here from the broader Asian games thread (thank you, prajgolf, for always doing a superb job in posting the scores)

In the women's individual event, Aditi Ashok won the silver medal! None of the other Indian golfers (man or woman) won a medal in either the individual or the team events.

In the Women's team event, India finished 4th, whereas in the Men's team event, India finished 7th.

Below are the individual results as captured by prajgolf:

by prajgolf » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:27 am:
Women's Golf - Final

Individual event

2 Aditi Ashok -17
13 Pranavi Urs -4
T18 Avani Prashanth +3

by prajgolf » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:33 am:
Men's Golf -Final

Individual event

T12 Anirban Lahiri -14
T27 Khalin Joshi -7
29 SSP Chawrasia -6
32 Shubhankar Sharma -2

Thank you to all Sports-India members for the enjoyable engagement in the golf discussions in this topic/thread as well as in the broader Asian Games 2023 thread.

And best wishes to our golfers for even greater successes in the years ahead...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

@Vee, It was nice to have you join... Do stay on... We need more golf discussion (and also check out other threads!)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

You’re not leaving us, Vee. Please?
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I do not follow golf at all. So, Aditi Ashok seriously overperformed in the first few days and choked on the last day? Overall, happy to have gotten a silver but disappointed by the last day's performance?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^yes. Not sure if she overperformed. But the final day performance was stunning for India.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:51 pm I do not follow golf at all. So, Aditi Ashok seriously overperformed in the first few days and choked on the last day? Overall, happy to have gotten a silver but disappointed by the last day's performance?
Leading by 2 strokes with three holes to play, there was no reason to play so aggressively at par 3 16 and end up hitting into water. That mistake cost her dearly. The Thai had no pressure considering her ranking and would have been happy with any medal.

The scars from such a loss can be tough to overcome. Champions are made by forgetting the bad days and not let it linger.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Aditi competes in a professional sport and hopefully will have plenty of opportunity to refocus and continue her strong play on tour of this year. In general, for competitors in professional sports like golf, tennis, football, basketball, baseball etc., regional competitions are quite minor in their careers and even Olympic medals aren’t the pinnacle of their careers.

It does seem to weigh more for medal starved countries like India but I suspect Asian medals aren’t as valuable as they were even for India as we are getting more used to winning them.

For example, in developed sports countries finishing 4th in an Olympic event isn’t anything that anyone really cares about or remembers for any length of time in contrast to the likes of Milkha and Usha being considered national icons whose most memorable achievement is finishing 4th.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^or the chest thumping in doubles tennis. Re: Aditi’s performance, I would say that if it’s not big in their professional scheme of things, they should consider letting the others participate for whom it may the pinnacle of their careers. This meltdown is unfathomable and Aditi deserves any criticism she is getting.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Sorry the above is illogical. Who did she keep out that was worthy? All the others performed pathetically compared to her and she did win silver which may help us get us get our sau medals. So you are saying a high performer should make way for low performers just because they didn’t perform to their peak even if what they achieve is far better? So if Neeraj wins a silver in this Asian Games, he should never represent India again?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Arjun, you are free to treat something as logical or illogical. I was just extending your original argument that in a pro golfer’s career, an Asian games medal isn’t a biggie. It holds true for top tennis players too. So, if such is the case, they may cede to a lower rung player, who would be better for the experience and may even surprise medal. Nowhere did I say that just because they ended up achieving less than hoped, they shouldn’t compete. Don’t confuse your opinion with logic.