Sultan of johor cup 2023

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

Saffron Lenin
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sultan of johor cup 2023

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Hey, are you worried about Pakistan being unable to win, and not about India being unable to win? Puzzled about what you meant...
I am saying India didn't play as dominating as I would like to see...They were good at passing the ball, good at defending, and overall shows good structural play!! However, Pakistan seems to me more speedy and physical side!! That may be because of fact that Pakistan may have send overage players!!! Indian players were looking like kids ( which makes sense as it is junior tournament) but Pakistan players were clearly looking as 25 year adult!!!!
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

PKBasu wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:06 pm Have India sent a junior team while the other countries have their full national squads there?
Nope, all have send junior team but it seems like Pakistan has send many over-age players ( as Sultan of Johor is a junior hockey tournament) .....
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Today, Pakistan beats Nz 3-2.. They were leading 3-0 until last 3 minutes when NZ hit 2 back to back goals!!!

India beats Malaysia 3-1... Pc was major problem... We convert only 2 pc out of 8-9 pc ....
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^^ interesting that Pak score is first above. Seems like you are primarily a Pakistan fan….
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:49 pm
Hey, are you worried about Pakistan being unable to win, and not about India being unable to win? Puzzled about what you meant...
I am saying India didn't play as dominating as I would like to see...They were good at passing the ball, good at defending, and overall shows good structural play!! However, Pakistan seems to me more speedy and physical side!! That may be because of fact that Pakistan may have send overage players!!! Indian players were looking like kids ( which makes sense as it is junior tournament) but Pakistan players were clearly looking as 25 year adult!!!!
Ok, I see what you mean. Pakistan guys seemed over-age, but that cannot be an excuse for India, is what you meant above... I see.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

arjun2761 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:29 pm ^^^^ interesting that Pak score is first above. Seems like you are primarily a Pakistan fan….
First match was of Pakistan, so I write it first 👽
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Ok, I see what you mean. Pakistan guys seemed over-age, but that cannot be an excuse for India, is what you meant above... I see.
Are you suspecting me a Pakistani? 😂😂
ssp

Post by ssp »

Firstly, thank you to Saffron Lenin for his posts.

This tournament is always good to watch as the results can be unpredictable and the play is not so regimented/robotic as seen in modern senior hockey. Lots of skills on display as well as mistakes.

I watched our game v Malaysia. We dominated but struggled with PCs and missed several good chances. Quite a few unforced errors and some awful tackles (which resulted in needless cards), which would be costly against Germany or Australia.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

India beats Nz 6-2!!! What a clinical performance!!! India converts most of its pc!!! It was quite physical match from NZ side but we shows our superior skills :bounce:
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Germany beats India in semis 6-3!!!
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

India beat Pakistan in third position match in penalty shootout! After 3-3 draw!!!

Poor umpiring in my opinion against India....The crowd was also cheering for Pakistan....Still we won!!!!

The last goal by Pakistan which equalized the match was not a goal for sure ( as far I know hockey, while taking pc if the ball hits the defernder's thigh, It is dangerous and not a goal)

We still won the match in shootout !!!
ssp

Post by ssp »

Overall, a disappointing show. Failed to beat Pakistan twice and were well beaten by Germany. We make too many unforced errors, tackle poorly (resulting in cards or PCs) and don't finish clinically. We lost 6-1 to Germany in a 4 nation tournament recently, so this can be considered progress :p

At the upcoming JWC, we will have the Netherlands, Argentina, Belgium as well as Germany and Australia to contend with. Getting to the semis will be success in my opinion. To reach the semis, we have to top our pool and hope to meet Belgium in the QF. Not sure about their strength, but I suspect the Dutch will be harder to beat.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Failed to beat Pakistan twice
I don't consider this a failure as 10-11 players of this junior Pakistani team are regular members of Pakistan senior team who played at Asian champion trophy and asian games!!!!
They are essentially sending their senior team in junior tournament ( a very short sighted decision by their management, they may win few tournaments at junior level but won't be preparing future generation players)