BWF tournaments July 2023

Moderator: Moderators

srini

Re: BWF tournaments July 2023

Post by srini »

Looks like Lakshya heard my wish and fulfilled, but only partly...i wanted a 2 set loss, he went for 3. S-300...no worries.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

And he heard my wish and pulled out of Korea open this week. He had to play Dane Antonsen in first round and he had reached Korea on Friday itself and properly practiced there. There was no point going there and playing without any rest.

So, now have in main draw- 5 in mens singles ( Srikanth, Prannoy, Priyanshu, Kiran George and Mithun Manjunath), 6 in womens singles (Sindhu,Aakarshi Kashyap, Ashmita Chaliita,Malvika Bansod, Tasnim Mir and Tanya Hemanth), 2 in mens doubles ( Satwik-Chirag, Dhruv-Arjun) , 2 in womens doubles ( Tresa-Gayatri, Panda sisters) and 2 in mixed doubles ( Sumith Reddy-Ashwini Ponappa, Rohan Kapoor-Sikki Reddy) in fray at Korea open super 500.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Has Saina retired? Or unable to enter due to her ranking?
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

Saina is trying. She said she will not make rotis at home. But age not with her. She isn't the fittest.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

She played at the Orleans tournament. What does it mean by "trying"? She is not getting entries into tournaments? She went on a pilgrimage to Amarnath recently.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

She is playing whenever she gets a chance. She is 'trying". Maybe she is also "trying" for some divine intervention.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Does anyone know that she would not have gotten into some of the tournaments due to her ranking? What about the smaller tournaments? The way forward would be to go there and win to get points and get the ranking back. Or are there no smaller tournaments either? This is the type of knowledge our enSameeroPhedia has.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

She should stop playing. It is painful that former world no 1 is loosing in 1st of 2nd round of every tournament.
Of course I am not saying this objectively but only emotionally.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Omkara wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:42 am She is playing whenever she gets a chance. She is 'trying". Maybe she is also "trying" for some divine intervention.
Not sure how what is meant by getting a chance. Her current ranking is the second highest among the Indian women, so ranking-wise she would be eligible in many of the recent tournaments where multiple Indian women have competed. However, badminton being mostly an amateur sport, I'm not clear if the participation depends on whether your federation sends you and somehow BAI isn't sending her in favor of younger talent. Or she isn't choosing to participate based on her own priorities.

As far as the comments here from her "fan" on what she should do or when she should retire, that is clearly her choice and decision. At #36 in the world, she is clearly capable of playing at a high level. However, it is also reasonable for the federation to encourage younger players keeping in mind the future.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

This is basically what I was after. Is she not playing these tournaments because she does not want to? I doubt that she is playing everywhere she can or is pushing to play everywhere she can. I think she is sort of semi-retired where she is not playing. Is it forced by the federation? I do not know. Do countries have quotas on the number of players they can send? Are there rules published on this like Olympic quotas earned in say shooting that the federations can then use to send other players if they so wish?
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

arjun2761 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:18 pm
As far as the comments here from her "fan" on what she should do or when she should retire, that is clearly her choice and decision.
I hope "fan" is not because of my id because it is SaniaFan and not SainaFan :-) .
Of course it is her decision but what a "fan" would like her to do is his wish. Fans are invested in stars to some extent and thus show their feelings and wishes.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Satwik/Chirag won their first round, Dhruv/Arjun retired with yet another injury :mad:
royallion7

Post by royallion7 »

Korea Open 2023, Go India!!!
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Other than Rajawat, all the Indians who played at the Korea Open lost including a disappointing loss for Sindhu.

Srikanth and Prannoy still to play their first match tomorrow as is Tanisha Hemanth.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

^^^ Their first round matches also got done today. Srikanth lost in a close 3 game match against former world #1 Kento Momota. Srikanth should really beaten Momota in his current form. Tanay Hemanth too lost. Prannoy won his first round match. So, only 2 wins all thru today- Priyanshu and Prannoy.

So, we have only 5 left in the draw. In mens singles, Praiyanshu Rajawat plays top seed Japanse Kodai Naraoka and Prannoy plays Lee Cheuk Liu from Hongkong ranked 18th.

In mens doubles, Satwik-Chirag play 16th ranked Chinese team.

In Womens doubles, Tresa-Gayatri play second seeds from Korea.

In mixed doubles, Rohan Kapoor-Sikki Reddy play 4th seeds from China.