BWF tournaments July 2023

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: BWF tournaments July 2023

Post by arjun2761 »

sameerph wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:37 pm
srini wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:42 pm But Axelsen was stronger player and always had Prannoy's number. That's why i am thinking it will be beneficial if another younger player like either Priyanshu or Kiran make it to top2 with Lakshya from India.
But, Axelsen is a very dominant world #1 and has a number of most of the player. So, no shame for Prannoy to be losing to him in 3 games. Otherwise, Prannoy has been quite good against many of the top 10 player in last 1 year or so. It will be great if one of the younger ones overtake it. The only one I can see is Priyanshu who in recent weeks is showing that belongs to at least top 20 level. Kiran George is not really upto it, he did well in only 1 tournament. For Priyanshu too I think it will take time for him to come to level where Prannoy is currently.
Completely agree for this Olympics, Prannoy and Lakshya Sen are our best (and perhaps only) hopes for a medal in mens singles. The other juniors need to take multiple steps up before becoming medal contenders and it's very unlikely to happen in 1 year. Surprising to see the comment after he had a chance to beat Axelson who is on a 15-0 win streak and has lost a game in only one of those 15 wins. Prannoy is 2-2 with Axelson in his last 4 matches, so he may be one of the very few that can upset Axelson currently....
srini

Post by srini »

Okay, i eat my words about Axelsen having Prannoy's number. Prannoy did have 2-2 record with Axelsen in recent times, but i guess his over all head to head of 2-6 against Axelsen and not capturing on those 2 outcomes by going on to lose other 2 matches with lesser opponents in World tour finals and the S-750 event probably made me not remember those. Actually Prannoy seems to be the only player able to bother Axelsen in recent times as Axelsen resorted to argue with umpire and was unsettled in last match.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Lakshya lost against Christie 16-21 in third game.
srini

Post by srini »

Not to worry much, as it seems slower shuttles are used in the tournament which suits Japanese style of play...makes it more interesting if it can spring some surprises for players like Axelsen.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

SatChi's conquerors went on to win the event winning the next 2 rounds in straight games. In the semis they beat the world no.1 pair. So obviously they were in not form. In that context SatChi probably will rue the luck of the draw.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Same with Axelsen. He thrashed his opponents in the semis and the final. So in that context Prannoy didn't do too badly
srini

Post by srini »

Australian open an S-500 tourney started today and is over loaded with Indian representation in Mens and Womens singles.

Some elite players like Axelsen have taken a break possibly to prepare well for World championships. Its not as WC is happening tomorrow...there is lot of time left, Aug 21s start date. Even then i see all Chinese A stringers like Li Shi Feng and Shi Yuqi have chosen to skip this tournament.SatChi have skipped but Treesa-Gayatri are playing.

This tournament can be good hunting ground for our guys! Kiran George got promoted to main draw but unfortunate to have the 1st round with Lakshya.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Srikanth, PVS, Priyanshu and Aakarshi all won their first rounds today. The only notable result was Srikanth dispatching better ranked Nishimoto with ease.
srini

Post by srini »

5 Indians out of 16 players for round 2 in MS. Prannoy, Srikanth, Priyanshu,Kiran and Mithun all have made it to 2nd round. Lakshya retired at 0-5 in the match with Kiran...hoping his injury is minor as WC is very near.

Talking of notable results, i think Mithun's result was also very good 21-19 21-19 as he defeated 7th ranked Loh Kean Yew from Singapore. He actually led 19-13 and then 20-14 in G2 then almost allowed the opponent to equalize. Seems he has a habit of losing such matches from a position of strength before.This Singaporean defeated Srikanth in 2021 in the WC final.
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... w-8873308/
srini

Post by srini »

Prannoy,Srikanth and Priyanshu are thru. Indian representation in MS QF will be 3 out of 8.
Sindhu won the match with Aakarshi.
Kiran lost to Ginting and Mithun lost Lee zii Jia.
Treesa -Gayatri lost to 4th ranked Japanese 10-21 20-22.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Mithun had a very close loss. I think he needs to work on his mental strength to pull off these close matches
srini

Post by srini »

rajitghosh wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:47 pm Mithun had a very close loss. I think he needs to work on his mental strength to pull off these close matches
He has some behavior issues too, was fined for throwing the rocket into air and doing a Ganguly of Natwest final by celebrating....all for a round 1 win in a S-500 tournament :roll:

By the way, the chances for a medal @Paris in MS seem to be rising with the rise of younger players who have taken mantle. Priyanshu has beaten Srikanth 21-13 21-8 and will meet Prannoy in Semis. Prannoy has won his match with Ginting 16-21 21-17 21-14. So we will have one finalist in this S-500.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Priyanshu beating Srikanth is like a passing of the baton from the earlier generation to the current. Prannoy is now the highest seed left. He had a good win over the top seed. Hope he makes it count. Sindhu again got thrashed. I don't see Priyanshu qualifying for the Olympics. India will get 2 spots. Most likely Prannoy and Lakshya would take those. Maybe he has a chance in 2028.
srini

Post by srini »

rajitghosh wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:27 am I don't see Priyanshu qualifying for the Olympics. India will get 2 spots. Most likely Prannoy and Lakshya would take those.
I think its too early to come to that conclusion, the qualification cycle started only 3 months back and another 9 months is a long period, a lot can happen from now. I would hope Priyanshu can at least keep the current top2 on edge and push them to be more competitive through out the remaining cycle which is good. Complacency has been the worst enemy in Indian medal hunt esp so due to selection criteria in some federations. I am glad that is not so in badminton case where IOC has defined the criteria and individual federation doesn't need to hold separate trials to fill the quota sort of thing.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, but selection for Asian games seems to have already gone awry due to selection trials being held too early. Prannoy and Srikanth are selected as 2 singles players for individual event while Lakshya is there only for the team event. Priyanshu is not there in the team at all while Mithun Manjunath is in the team.