2023 Men's FIH Hockey Junior World Cup, Malaysia

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: 2023 Men's FIH Hockey Junior World Cup, Malaysia

Post by ssp »

They played poorly in the 2nd half. Ok, it's the first match and they may improve, but this squad has been together for over a year and really haven't progressed like the 2016 team. Way too many silly decisions all over the pitch. Dribbling needlessly near our own D and in central midfield should result in an instant substitution! And this maddening habit of giving away PCs and not getting any at the other end really skews the results badly. I mean we should have won by 4-5 goals easily with some composure. For reference, we beat Korea 9-1 in the semi final of the Junior Asia Cup about 4-5 months ago.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Absolutely no need to disrespect out junior women by calling them girls. Assuming unintentional on your part but the tone of your message is ambiguous…,
Saffron Lenin
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Saffron Lenin »

arjun2761 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:12 pm Absolutely no need to disrespect out junior women by calling them girls. Assuming unintentional on your part but the tone of your message is ambiguous…,
How can calling them girls is disrespectful :rant: !! Absolutely pathetic by your part by calling me out again and again on the forum!!!
It's completely normal to call sportspersons as "Boys" played well, "Girls" doing good etc
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

No. That is condescending. They are men and women and should be so called. Just because people have regularly insulted black people, brown people, etc. does not mean that we should continue to do so. It is simple. Call them what they are and not condescending terms. They are not girls. Or boys for that matter at that age.

Don't call them girls
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

The article you have posted says "when there is a situation where males are called boys, then it may also be fine to call females girls." But it does not say when men are called boys is it correct to use that term. Also, I have seen most of the female players also call themselves girls. Rarely I have seen women being used. I think in sports and army "boys" or "girls" is used quite often. So I don't think in it is condescending in this context. Though in general I agree with you.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Fair enough. Also, these being "junior"; so the question may be where you draw the line. But, I have seen Lenin use the term "girl" or "girls" for the wrestlers and a few other times for women. I have not seen him use the term "boy" or "boys" for men in posts. I did a quick search to verify that. Possible that I missed things. The British used to call colored people "Boys", etc. So, in certain contexts, I used to be sensitive to being called that.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Guys, it was a good experience being with you in the forum!!!! But there are some people who are not happy with my presence in the group, so I think I should leave the forum!!!!
As far as calling sportsperson boys or girls is concerned, I stand on my principle that calling them boys/ girls is not wrong!!!!

Overall it was a good experience!!!! Bye Bye
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

WHAT??? Who is not happy with your being here, Saffron?

I (and many many others here) will be very unhappy if you are NOT here, Saffron. Please come back!!!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, Saffron. Your posting on so many different sports really added value to this forum. Please continue posting here.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am happy he is here. I just like to argue. :-)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’ve been meaning to say this, but Saffron’s reaction has made it actionable. I do think he has been needlessly name called. We go too far with nit-picking. A case in point is that Wimbledon calls its juniors girls and boys. Does it get more proper English than English? :rofl:

There are ball girls and ball boys in tennis. And, the other extreme is when our men’s cricket team calls everyone “boys.”

I’m totally on Saffron’s side on this. It’s almost like in Hindi choosing to call a young female “ladki” or “aurat.” At their ages, they are girls and it’s fine to say so. I understand there may be some unintended connotations here, but that doesn’t warrant the load of pointed criticism directed at Saffron.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The age limit for women playing in the junior world cup is 21. Not 18. Almost all our players are women and not girls. All words do not mean the same. I am not saying that it was done on purpose but the calling women girls is not right especially if you have not called men boys. At age 21, they are not girls.

It is important to hear from all voices on this forum. However, one must also call out biased and false information, prejudiced terms, etc. It is perfectly fine to nitpick. If you can't take it, tough.

I understand people use terms like the n word, etc. and have historically used terms in the past and it was okay to do so. Just because the privileged do so did not make it right. I am glad that people objected to words that are loaded and prejudiced. So, it does not matter to me if condescending usage is part of society today. If we accept things as they are, we will never improve. We need to speak out.

FIH uses the term "women" and not "girl" and we should use the accurate term.

But, we are using the men's thread to talk about women being wrongly called.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Please ask any player of Junior Indian women hockey team whether they would like to be called a girl or a woman and you'll realize that you are unnecessarily fighting for their case :D
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

SaniaFan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:56 pm Please ask any player of Junior Indian women hockey team whether they would like to be called a girl or a woman and you'll realize that you are unnecessarily fighting for their case :D
That’s exactly what I meant with the ladki vs. aurat example.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

SaniaFan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:56 pm Please ask any player of Junior Indian women hockey team whether they would like to be called a girl or a woman and you'll realize that you are unnecessarily fighting for their case :D
I am not fighting for their case. I want women to be called women and girls being called girls. It does not matter what some women may think. I do not know much Hindi and don't really care about what it means in Hindi. Last time I checked, we had women from all over India some of whom speak Hindi and some do not. It does not matter. We are writing in English here. I don't know how many of the women in the team actually know English for that matter leave alone whether the usage of a word is condescending or not.

In how many posts has he called men boys? And, even if it is equal, it does not really matter.