Geopolitics around major sports events

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
srini

Re: Geopolitics around major sports events

Post by srini »

Another instance of geopolitics elsewhere now. China issues stapled visas to Wushu athletes based from Arunachal Pradesh for attending the world university games. Another country would have responded with measures of similar kind when it got a chance. But this is India we are talking about...it inflicts more self damage by cancelling entire Wushu team travel to China. India along with US,UK was one of the few nations having diplomatic relations with independent Tibet and did not do much to bring International attention to China's invasion but it also supported China's bid to replace ROC at UN. So it is seeing effects of all its past mistakes even now when China starts calling Arunachal as South Tibet.

It would be interesting to see what India plans to do in various events that India has to send teams for Asian games in China. Its standard response has always been to cancel the team trips and say "We reserve the right to suitably respond at time of our choice". Now does it not plan to send any Arunachalis to any sport at Asiad that invites the wrath of Chinese embassy or does it have a proper plan to respond ever to such malicious politicking by China?
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

This was a stupid response. We should have gone and given Tibbetis representing China a stapled visa or something like that.
srini

Post by srini »

^^Exactly my thoughts Prasen. Our country has been doing better in its foreign affairs ever since a career diplomat like Jaishankar became external affairs minister. But i feel we should be doing a lot better. I mean the whole Foreign affairs ministry is there to think ahead and be prepared to give fitting responses immediately right? Why do we see such stupid responses like "A Befitting response will be given at an appropriate time" ? I would expect Pro Active responses rather than "Reactive" responses like that at least from a nationalist government we currently have!
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^^ The petty tit for tat proposed above is exactly how a petty mind thinks. Right now there is asymmetry in China's power and influence and India at least as far as sporting events are concerned. We host cricket events (which very few care about globally) while they host a lot more world level events, so our ability to retaliate isn't the same. I think it is appropriate for us to respond when appropriate in larger spheres of influence.

By aligning with the Quad or pushing back at the LOC, we have shown more spine than we have shown in the past. Recall 1962 when a thoroughly unprepared regular Indian army was essentially running away from combat. In some sectors it was our reserves who actually had the passion and courage to engage the Chinese.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Agree with Arjun.
srini

Post by srini »

^^
The Tibetis 'Stapled Visa' can't be implemented even if we want a petty tit for tat. The reason being say country A issues stapled visa if it claims some territory of country B's as its own, then by natural extension residents of that territory in country B don't need a visa to enter country A. So just a paper is stapled saying let them in and the paper will be torn at the port of exit when the person is leaving back to country B. So no paper trail is left, which is a disgrace and makes difficult Country B's job of tracking its own residents travel data.

In our case we never claim Tibet as our own. So we can't be issuing stapled Visas to any Tibetans from China. But China claims Arunachal as its own by calling it South Tibet. But my point is saying "We will take a fitting action at appropriate time" only conveys knee jerk reaction and lack of preparation.
I would expect something on the lines of sending some government officials to Taiwan for a meet etc. We already did something like that....but only former service chiefs were sent. Message will be conveyed better if we sent acting service chiefs or Chief of Defense staff for such visits. Actually our politicians should start considering visiting Taiwan just like Nancy Pelosi did.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india-today-i ... 2023-08-08
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Nobody asked for a tit for tat per se. The primary point was not to pull out athletes. It is a completely moronic response to pull the team. It serves no purpose. The Chinese don't care. The world does not largely care. It looks like a petulant child throwing a tantrum on a field. China comes out better. They say that they were allowing the athletes to come in. The world sees India throwing a tantrum.

A visa is actually important for a country to have some checks on who can come and who cannot. China allowed the athlete to come in and represent India. That is a huge concession. If they want to require a visa or no visa for the Arunachalis that is fine with us. A lot of people travel to a lot of countries without visas. Being let in without a visa is not a problem at all for the person going in. So, India's response is stupid and the people who made this decision made a stupid decision.

I said if you want to throw a tantrum throw one with the Tibbetis or something like that. The something like that says do some stupid show. These shows do not matter. If China is hosting a lot of events, then this response is even more moronic. What do you do in the Asian Games? Or other important games? Again pull off your entire team? Or tuck your tail in and reverse your stance. When you take a stance you need to think about it. Random tantrum throwing is not good foreign policy. Next time if you tuck your tail and fall in line, then you actually give the Chinese the last laugh. You can say, I won't go for countries like Pakistan where you can use your clout and avoid going. But, you cannot boycott every sports event being held in China. And, having different policies for different sports or events also makes no logical sense. Anyway, stupid people will make stupid decisions I suppose.

The main point is that in trying to protest against someone you do not cut off your own nose, which is what the ministry did here. And in that sense, it was a moronic decision to pull our own team when the Chinese had actually allowed the Arunachali athlete to go in.