India in the West Indies, July-August 2023

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: India in the West Indies, July-August 2023

Post by Kumar »

Actually, i agree somewhat with Sharma here…

In IPL, Axar is pretty much Jadeja in bowling and a much worser batting average with same rate.wondering if Axar is benefiting from lower numbers in T20I (smaller sample) .

Jadeja has faced 10.5 balls per innings while Axar has faced around 8 balls.

If u take away their best and worst performance , their SR drops to 120 and 140 . Axar has faced 95 deliveries of his 200 against zimbabwe and SL.

Also, jadeja SR after 2015 is 137(after Axar debut).
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

There is no comparison between Jadeja and Axar. I’d choose Jadeja over Axar every time. Maybe Axar competes with Kuldeep or Chahal—two useless appendages, particularly Chahal. He needs to be sent to cold storage ASAP. I’ll take a batter of any proven capability among current bowlers. Axar is the best among them. I don’t care much about numbers in the past in this matter. Sorry, Prasen. Losing a ODI and T20 game to WI should answer the question about the (non)quality and futility of the seniors who are still in the team. We need a wholesale change in the players and above all mentality if we have any hope of winning anything substantial beyond biaterals. We need hard hitters in every position of the team. All formats except maybe tests. No patience for builders and wild last over sloggers. Bowlers are less important, especially in T20. Any one will do the job but they must bat well. Only then you can be in the team. Even Bumrah needs to meet this expectation. No exceptions for anyone. I’m tired of repeatedly losing at knockout stage. ENOUGH!
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Jadeja has won us nothing in T20Is nor has performed. I do not want non-performers. Each one is within their rights to choose Jadeja over Axar "everytime" for no reason at all; that is their prerogative. They are also not similar players. So, I do not know why we have to choose between the two.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:16 pm R Jadeja in T20 WC- 22 matches, 21 Wickets, eco 7.14 , 95 runs. did much better then allrounder Patel with the ball
This is because Axar's record is of a small sample size. When we allow a full record, i.e., 15 innings, Patel will do better with the ball as he has done over his career. And, how did all the T20I WC matches become suddenly all big matches? A lot of them were against puff opponents.

Anyway, in this team, the problem is playing with 4 #10s with an awful fielder in Chahal. Drop both Chahal and Kuldeep. Bring in Yashasvi and Bishnoi. Get NTTV to bowl.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:17 pm Actually, i agree somewhat with Sharma here…

In IPL, Axar is pretty much Jadeja in bowling and a much worser batting average with same rate.wondering if Axar is benefiting from lower numbers in T20I (smaller sample) .

Jadeja has faced 10.5 balls per innings while Axar has faced around 8 balls.

If u take away their best and worst performance , their SR drops to 120 and 140 . Axar has faced 95 deliveries of his 200 against zimbabwe and SL.

Also, jadeja SR after 2015 is 137(after Axar debut).
Kumar, I did not slice or dice it this way and I would be willing to reconsider Jadeja's abysmal T20I batting as long as it is of reasonable sample size. If you have the numbers handy, can you quote both. If either is small sample size, then things are inconclusive and we should rather consider the fuller sample even if it is against smaller opponents. Or just say we don't yet know who is better or worse and need more evidence.

But, Jadeja has failed us time and again. And, like the old guys, I am not so inclined to give him even longer rope. My recollection is that Jadeja has been fantastic in tests especially in India, played some fighting innings but failed to complete things in ODIs but nevertheless played well many times, and largely failed badly in T20Is. But, like everyone maybe I am biased.

One metric maybe did he ever get a MoM in a big match in T20Is?
Mukherjee Babu
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Our selectors are terrible, Harshal Patel whose bowling suits in slow, sticky pitches is out from WI Series and probably will not be the part of T20 WC in 2024, these tracks of WI can make him match winner, whereas Umran was left out for Harshal in fast, pacy, bouncy tracks of Australia. Oldies are not getting chance in the condition they deserve, Harshal & Mohit can exploit this WI sticky pitches more then Mukesh or Arshdeep
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Whatever. At this point, I have just given up with these selectors. We need to get a new crop of batters who are not timid. The Gills of the world will not do much good to us. Hope he makes me eat my words.

SkAY and NTTV and Samson in ODIs are the only non-timid bats. Maybe Hardik, although he has started slowing down very much at the beginning. Hit out or get out should be the mantra in T20Is. Obviously, ODIs need innings construction.
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Use to criticize Pant for not being consistent, his replacements seems doesnt deserve club cricket. One format now demands freedom from Sanju & Ishan. Selectors are still in 2022 T20 WC mode, this batch needs to finish now they are high class proven failures, can only deliver in useless cricket. Dhruv Jurel type keepers needed. Axar the best....fails again. Needs batter who can ball at his place.
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

All format players and over domestic experience is hurting the team. This format now requires Venky Iyer, Shivam Dube, Rinku, Gaikward, Jitesh, Parag.... Picking 4 out of form players at the top order is not enough to beat even a team which is not qualified for the Super 8 stage in T20I WC
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

We are losing again to a Windies team that could not even make it to the ODI WC :rofl:

When is Indian media going to hold selectors and team management accountable?
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

Team needs to be free from " TukTuk" Dravid's approach. Its hard to accept TukTuk approach after 3 years of Fiery mentality
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

It seems county cricket has destroyed Arshdeep who looked to be lethal in bowling end overs. He is very much happy in containing runs from tailanders then attacking the stumps
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Would say nothing about Arshdeep or Mukesh as many loves to see them getting smashed for 30+ runs in T20I, support their selection then Umran Malik, who made his name from T20Is and now warming in the bench.
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

Not at all surprised 4 day performers with pace of 125 + can't win matches. T20 is instant cricket and for that instant performers are required not the baggage of FC stats.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

I wouldn't go as far as that. Medium pace bowlers can also be successful in international cricket, if they have the necessary guile and control. However problem in Mukesh Kumar's case is that he has never been successful in IPL, how can he be expected to do so at an even higher level? At least Avesh has enjoyed decent success in IPL.