World Test Championship final 2021-23 (The Oval)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: World Test Championship final 2021-23 (The Oval)

Post by Kumar »

My stats is probably wrong… because i did africa as continent…

When i just put those SENA countries, numbers go down dramatically… top average is much lower wuth those three countries. Only Rohit sharma does reasonably with those four countries above 40, Gill is at 35… if you exclude australia, the most depressing stats is that among top 7 batters, Kohli is onlyone in top 50 …

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin ... pe=batting
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

prasen9 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:05 pm Kumar has an excellent analysis. I wonder whether we should speak of SENA in one go anymore. Australia has the most batting pitches days after the drop-in pitches were introduced. Or at least had when I last checked about 2-3 years ago. So, should we consider success in Australia? Or should we look for SEN being the most challenging conditions?
So, one India A series in subcontinent against weak opposition Bangladesh, followed by good domestic season gurantees Indian test team selection, whereas Easwaran, Panchal, Mukund thrown out despite performing for India A ( Panchal - 6 matches, 417 runs, Avg 70+, Easwaran - 10 matches 515 runs, Avg - 52+) in SENA & WI in most recent tours, new methods and new calculations for a particular player's selection.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

In NZ, panchal scored a century in second innings. Gill scored 83 and 200 runs in same match. The NZ bowlers had a FC average of greater than30and none of their seamers had played a test match

In SA, Easwaran scored 200 runs in 5 innings, while Panchal scored 120 in 3 innings. Again, the first match in thsi series was a flat bed.

In india against NZ, panchal and Easwaran both scored 200 runs in 4 innings. Adecent perforance. Rajat Patidar scored 300 runs in that series

Easwaran absolutely dominated bangaldesh scoring 2 centuries

To me, u need to show some level of dominance against A team to really make yourself stand out. Gill did that scoring 400 runs agains NZ A team in 3 innings in NZ. These were flat pitches and against mediocre bowlers. Even after dominating A team performances, he has struggled to find a foothold in test team. For all of Sarfaraz brilliance with Ranji, his A team performances has been meddling as well.

Sports is highly fickle and u need some luck. The opportunities when they come, u need to grab with both hands.
Rajkumar Sharma

You are going out of the topic. Its about Jaiswal & Panchal Easwaran, not Gill & Sarfaraz. There is no need of dominance when national team skipper backs your selection.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:26 am
prasen9 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:05 pm Kumar has an excellent analysis. I wonder whether we should speak of SENA in one go anymore. Australia has the most batting pitches days after the drop-in pitches were introduced. Or at least had when I last checked about 2-3 years ago. So, should we consider success in Australia? Or should we look for SEN being the most challenging conditions?
So, one India A series in subcontinent against weak opposition Bangladesh, followed by good domestic season gurantees Indian test team selection, whereas Easwaran, Panchal, Mukund thrown out despite performing for India A ( Panchal - 6 matches, 417 runs, Avg 70+, Easwaran - 10 matches 515 runs, Avg - 52+) in SENA & WI in most recent tours, new methods and new calculations for a particular player's selection.
There is no new method and no new calculation. Show me where is the new method or new calculation I chose for different players?

Nobody has guaranteed anything to Yashasvi either. He is going as a backup.

I would not mind Easwaran or Panchal being chosen and would not mind Mukund being given a longer run. I have never argued against domestic and A-team performers. I have argued against the random posts wanting random players without the body of work.

Find me a post where I said Yashasvi should be chosen before Easwaran or Panchal or Mukund. I have merely said that I cannot complain with Yashasvi because he has a body of work - not an extensive body but he does not have failures. That does not mean I would prefer him and not someone else. It means I think one could make an argument for him. As one could make an argument for Easwaran or Panchal or Mukund. I would not mind either of these.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The composition of the team is very stupid.

Here are the batsmen: Rohit, Gill, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane
No backups whatsoever. If someone gets hurt at the last minute, they will have to really scamper. At least Yashasvi is going to be in London.

Two keepers: Bharat, Kishan
I will have to go with Bharat. But, you could go with Kishan too as an X-factor.

Pacers: Thakur, Siraj, Shami, Unadkat, Umesh
Thakur, Siraj, and Shami and possibly Umesh.

Spinners: Axar, Jadeja, Ashwin
Jadeja

If it does seem like spinners can bowl, then I'd bring in Ashwin and take one pacer out - possibly Umesh. Although I am not so sure about the 3rd and 4th pacer and the spinner. Nor the wicket-keeper. We have no choice for the batters. So, I am sure. :-)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

From the squad, my team is: Rohit, Jaiswal (leftie), Pujara, Kohli, Gill, Bharat, Ashwin, Jadeja, Shami, Siraj, Umesh. No Rahane, essentially. It’s time to throw both Gill and Jaiswal into the mix. Ashwin MUST play. Tempted to play Shardul in place of Siraj because Thakur has shown he can bat, but Siraj can be carried as one non-bat contributor. His big heart and recent IPL form allows him to be a pick over Thakur. Siraj’s poor fielding and overall fielding clumsiness isn’t that big a liability in tests.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

The question would be how big a defeat we will face?

I predict the following
- innings defeat with Kohli being the lone bright spot in batting
- we score less than 220 runs if we bat first

Prasen, i think KL Rahul being injured really left them with little choice as they needed a backup keepr for substitution
If KL had been fit, i would have stacked the squad with 6 batters along with keeper and jadeja. I don’t think the extra bowler is going to really help them. Guess we can try thatsame combo with Ishan but not sure he will be suitable.Considering that this is not sub continent pitch may be we can let Ishan Kishen keep instead of Bharath
Rajkumar Sharma

Kumar wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:15 pm The question would be how big a defeat we will face?
That depends on how much its swing & seam.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:59 pm From the squad, my team is: Rohit, Jaiswal (leftie), Pujara, Kohli, Gill, Bharat, Ashwin, Jadeja, Shami, Siraj, Umesh. No Rahane, essentially. It’s time to throw both Gill and Jaiswal into the mix. Ashwin MUST play. Tempted to play Shardul in place of Siraj because Thakur has shown he can bat, but Siraj can be carried as one non-bat contributor. His big heart and recent IPL form allows him to be a pick over Thakur. Siraj’s poor fielding and overall fielding clumsiness isn’t that big a liability in tests.
Thanks. But, Jaiswal is only in the reserves. So, we have to find some fake injury if we want to get him in ... I am not a big fan of reinstating Rahane either but I was going by the books and not fake injuries. :-)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I predict an injury on the eve of the match. Real or made up is another matter.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar, actually on subcontinental pitches, we need Bharat. Keeping to spinners requires much more skill than to keepers. That is why for a while we played Pant abroad and Saha in India. Then Pant got better and Dravid thought players don't get injured anymore. BTW, did Saha remember to thank Dravid after the excellent inning he played in the IPL final?

Bharat is the better keeper. Ishan may be marginally the better bat. So, the safer choice may be Bharat. But, with a weak batting keeper, if we want to play four pacers, one of them needs to be Shardul. The other three are #11s. Maybe Umesh is #10 at best.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:59 pm From the squad, my team is: Rohit, Jaiswal (leftie), Pujara, Kohli, Gill, Bharat, Ashwin, Jadeja, Shami, Siraj, Umesh. No Rahane, essentially. It’s time to throw both Gill and Jaiswal into the mix. Ashwin MUST play. Tempted to play Shardul in place of Siraj because Thakur has shown he can bat, but Siraj can be carried as one non-bat contributor. His big heart and recent IPL form allows him to be a pick over Thakur. Siraj’s poor fielding and overall fielding clumsiness isn’t that big a liability in tests.
One of these days we are going to have a test match decided by 10 runs, Atithee. :-)
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

Instead of Shardul/ Umesh, team should include Yarra Prithvi Raj in Playing XI. His left arm inswingers at 145 kph could prove lethal to Aussies
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe, but I think guy is not so powerful that his balls delivered sitting in India will reach the Oval leave aside being lethal to the Aussies.