World Test Championship final 2021-23 (The Oval)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: World Test Championship final 2021-23 (The Oval)

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, terrific. We have gone from a guy who takes wickets at 80/wicket to 48/wicket. But, maybe we don't need to bother. In a few days, another johnny GotLucky guy will get a few wickets here and there in one match and he will be the next flavor of the day.

Guy seems like a good T20 bowler though. We should give him a fair run in high-level T20 matches.
Raju Bhai
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Raju Bhai »

Come to reality, as rajkumar mentioned, performance in empty stadium in domestic doesn't matters for indian team selection anymore, he even mentioned players & their domestic performances who put the domestic stage on fire but still did'nt get chance to play for India.Previously domestic cricket used to come live on TV and now the games are getting live through streaming platform as no one is interested in seeing it, even selectors doesnt bother watching domestic games. Domestic cricket is good career for earning livelihood, its not mandatory for India team selection anymore.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Reality? :-) Reality is Madhwal going to get selected for WTC? You want to bet some real money? If you believe that is reality, then you should have no problems betting right? Let me lose. We have the whole board as witnesses.

Domestic performance is still used by and large with some exceptions. Those are because of selector biases. Domestic performance is mandatory for selection.

There are two terms: "necessary" and "sufficient". For the test team, domestic performance is necessary. No player has been chosen without it. It is not "sufficient" as Raj has shown with the examples of Sarfraz, etc.

Which test bowler was selected without domestic performance? Instead of making useless claims, show me. If you live in the reality-based world, you should have no problems showing that.
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

Rinku Singh has 50+ average in domestic, by now he should have played for India, but who care about 50+ avg in empty stadium domestic cricket. Look now he is being backed by all cricket experts for India team selection as he has made "impact" in IPL. Nehal Wadhera has become more popular for MI with his 30s & 40s then his double ton for Punjab against MP.
Last edited by Raju Bhai on Thu May 25, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

IPL is a domestic tournament.
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

IPL is that domestic tournament where impact players are given chances, not to those empty stadium performers in domestic. Ranji, Duleep, SMT has lost its credibility for india team selection, but its great for players who earns for their livelihood
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

prasen9 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:31 amWhich test bowler was selected without domestic performance? Instead of making useless claims, show me. If you live in the reality-based world, you should have no problems showing that.
Unadkat was pleading recently to get a chance to play red ball cricket just like Karun Nair, whereas Shardul, Natarajan played test cricket despite Unadkat having great domestic numbers. IPL talent Natarajan was injured otherwise he would have been seen more in test cricket. Look at Umran, Kuldeep Sen nobody cared about their domestic performance even many doesnt knew both can ball at 150 kph :D till IPL impact performance gave them chance in Odis
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Raju Bhai wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:46 am
prasen9 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:31 amWhich test bowler was selected without domestic performance? Instead of making useless claims, show me. If you live in the reality-based world, you should have no problems showing that.
Unadkat was pleading recently to get a chance to play red ball cricket just like Karun Nair, whereas Shardul, Natarajan played test cricket despite Unadkat having great domestic numbers. IPL talent Natarajan was injured otherwise he would have been seen more in test cricket
Can you read? I asked for which domestic player was selected without domestic performance? Shardul, Nair, Unadkat, and Natarajan all had domestic performances with the red ball before being given a test berth.

Shardul averaged about 28 and did quite well in A-team tours before being given a berth. Ditto for Natarajan, whose domestic FC average is better than Shardul's 27.5. Unadkat has been superb. He was written off but then forced his way with a 22 average in FC cricket.

Nair averaged around 49-50 when he was chosen.

So, the question remains: show me a player who was bad in domestics but got into the test team?
Last edited by prasen9 on Thu May 25, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

prasen9 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:49 am
Raju Bhai wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:46 am
Unadkat was pleading recently to get a chance to play red ball cricket just like Karun Nair, whereas Shardul, Natarajan played test cricket despite Unadkat having great domestic numbers. IPL talent Natarajan was injured otherwise he would have been seen more in test cricket
Can you read? I asked for which domestic player was selected without domestic performance? Shardul, Nair, Unadkat, and Natarajan all had domestic performances with the red ball before being given a test berth.
Those domestic numbers weren't great that they could walk into the test cricket. Abhimanyu Easwaran scoring plenty for India A, domestic.Forget Easwaran even Ruturaj scored plenty but Easwaran was never considered whereas Ruturaj was benched despite making debut ahead of Gill. And Gill is now " The Prince "
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

No player who averaged 40+ or 80+ was ever called into the test team as a bowler. IPL or no IPL. These jonny-got-lucky players will not either. If you have a domestic failure who got into the team, show me one. Averages of 27-28 in FC cricket bowling is quite good. 22 is phenomenal.

Show me one FC bowler who averaged above 35 say who got into the team. Domestic failures have never been rewarded and should not be so. That is in the reality-based world. In a nonsense-based world, of course, we can dream up anything.
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

By the way what happened to Arzan Nagwaswalla? He had what you called domestic performance and all that stats required to play for India. Diwesh Pathania 50+ wickets in a domestic season, 208 wickets in 51 FC.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Just to repeat again: domestic performance is necessary but not sufficient.

Although repeating may be neither necessary nor sufficient to get through some people's comprehension.

By definition, not all people with domestic performances will get into the national team because there are only 11 slots.

Still waiting for that bowler who averaged over 35 runs/wicket in domestics and played in tests for India ... :-) Or should I lower that number to 30 runs/wicket?
Rajkumar Sharma

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

11 slots are alot, you can't drop because they are superstars, they will play WCs after WCs whereas domestic performers will retire. I completely agree domestic performance now does'nt gurantee chance in indian team.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Never ever did. Not just now.

I would gladly drop Pujara, Rahane, etc. This set of selectors even went to total failures (in tests) like Rahul. Essentially, they were saying that we want experience. Which is not a good criterion just by its own. We need skill, calibre, experience, form together. It is indeed a stupid selection. But, more so on the batting side than the bowling.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Natraj probably never makes the test team if not for his T20 prowess and covid. AustrAlia had stringent travel rules, so teams kept their T20 players behind and spate of injuries ( Shami, Bumrah, Umesh Yadav and Ashwin all missed the last test) . KS Bharat probably never makes the test team if not for his IPL prowess. I still cannot digest Axing of saha.

Are selectors selecting players based on stats that is accessible to all of us or they watching this players in person? Does Indian team have scouts? I think the BCCI selection committee is probably archaic and they need to explore recruiting scouts. The average can be pretty misleading. For example, Upendra Yadav who is strongly pushed as candidate for Indian team has not performed for past two seasons and his past performances have come against mediocre teams.

I agree that Duleep trophy should come back.