Golf World Rankings of Indians

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

Vee
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Golf World Rankings of Indians

Post by Vee »

arjun2761 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:37 pm Also worth noting that Anirban is underranked as his LIV golf results aren’t counted in the world rankings. He is currently 7th in the LIV golf money list with over $10MM won this season, so is easily playing at a top 50 or even top 30 level if his LIV events were counted the same as PGA tour events.
Yes, Arjun, I agree that Anirban has been playing very very well during the last year or so, having finished 2nd on the LIV tour so many times! His world ranking could have definitely gone up based on his form had he played in the tournaments that awarded world ranking points. One thing to keep in mind though is that LIV tournaments only have 48 players competing in any tournament, and one can only wonder if he would have had such high finishes in the much larger tournament fields on the PGA Tour or DP World Tour.

I'm still optimistic that one day he would improve on his best world ranking of #33, and perhaps even surpass Jeev's best of #28 :)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

You forgot Atwal, Vee. I just saw him on TV in the top three. Not sure what tournament and where he finally finished.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Anirban is likely playing top-60 golf but I wouldn't extrapolate his 7th place in the Liv tour any more than that. Good payoff for him though.

Atwal's 3rd place happened in the senior tour. Still a prize money of 165k for a 3rd place in the senior tour is no joke.
Vee

Post by Vee »

Atithee wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:21 am You forgot Atwal, Vee. I just saw him on TV in the top three. Not sure what tournament and where he finally finished.
Thanks, Atithee, for reminding me about Arjun Atwal. I shouldn't have missed mentioning the only golfer from India to have ever won on the PGA Tour!
Vee

Post by Vee »

Not good news for Anirban Lahiri...The Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) body has decided that they will not allow LIV Golf tournaments (where Anirban plays) any world ranking points for various reasons, including the number of players (48) in the field, however they may reconsider at a later time if LIV Golf addresses their (OWGR's) concerns. You may read the details here: https://www.owgr.com/news/owgr-denies-l ... our-status
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

I think this is still political. They can address the rest. For example, they could only award points to the top 24 (rather than the full field) to mitigate the no-cut impact.

Not sure that 3 rounds versus 4 rounds makes that much of a competitive difference in quality of play as golf isn't all that strenuous of a sport at least relative to most other major sports (and the Champions tour often or generally plays 3 round tournaments).
Vee

Post by Vee »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:44 pm Not sure that 3 rounds versus 4 rounds makes that much of a competitive difference in quality of play as golf isn't all that strenuous of a sport at least relative to most other major sports
The only thing I would add is that golf requires a different kind of physical (and mental) test. It has one of the most unusual stances and swings, and taxes the body in a most unusual way when the golfers swing the golf club. The twisting of the body impacts wrists, shoulders, knees, legs, back and hips significantly. Golf does require one to walk over 7,000 yards (4 miles+) over 4-5 hours, many a times in an up and down terrain. You do need to sometimes hack the ball out of deep rough.

And, of course, you are basically playing against yourself ("between the ears") and the elements of nature.

All of this to say that a round of golf can leave you mentally and physically exhausted, especially if you make the cut and play for 4 days continuously (4-5 hours daily).

So, I do think playing 3 rounds of golf does make it much easier on a golfer vs. 4 rounds. Perhaps not linearly, but maybe at least 20% easier?