ITF Junior circuit 2023 India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ITF Junior circuit 2023 India

Post by jayakris »

VReddy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:23 pm Article from Kamesh Srinivasan sir - https://sportstar.thehindu.com/tennis/v ... 695113.ece
Thank you for posting the link! It is a terrific article from Kamesh, whose service to Indian tennis is unparalleled, really. Old friend of mine, and a great gentleman. He still goes around, covering big and small tennis events, and actually watching the matches (man, what a concept for tennis scribes!). And he gives us the most correct judgment on most of our players. He has been doing it for nearly 30 years, but Kamesh still doesn't consider himself the "senior journalist" who only goes to Wimbledon. Thank you, sir. If I need to know how good a player anybody is, I would search for a Kamesh article that may have reported on a match. He may only say one or two words and he rarely criticizes anybody - but his comments are always on the money, if he makes any! The best tennis journalist in the world, in my opinion.

Okay, back to the article, check this out:
“It was not easy at all. It was super complex. Last week, I was really tired. First couple of weeks, I was patient. Last week in Madurai, I realised that with patient tennis, I would not survive. So I played an aggressive game, moving the opponent from corner to corner and coming to the net. Had I been angry or shouted in tough situations, I wouldn’t have been able to achieve this”, reasoned Vihaan. “Patience is my big weapon”, he said.

Not allowing negative thoughts to eat into his energy is perhaps the key to his success. At 4-6, 1-4 he stays calm to turn the match on its head.
This kid has unbelievable maturity at his age. I wish some of our senior players would learn from the kid. Kamesh clearly got the crux of the matter in his summary lines. Some (many/most) of our players never get it!
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

jayakris wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:05 am I think Prakash or Somdev (or both) did three weeks at a stretch, but I don't think anybody has done four. Actually maybe Prakash did it in the 4 weeks satellite circuit. Somdev's may have been 3 weeks of challengers. Or maybe my mind is making it all up. Will need to check ITF activity records to be sure.

Somdev won 3 futures and 1 challenger in his first 4 tournaments after coming out of college although not sure if there was a time gap between the tournaments. Thereafter, he had limited success at the challenger level winning only 4 more challengers in the rest of his career although of course he played a fair bit on the ATP tour.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Checked ITF record. Yes, there was a time gap. Somdev actually went on a 28 match win streak (including 3 qualifying wins at the start), but there was a few months break for college between first and second futures, and then a break till the challenger after back to back weeks futures titles.

I was right about Prakash. He went undefeated in the final 3 weeks of the India satellite circuit in 2003 (one of the last 4-week circuits ever, iirc). He had lost in the semi in the first week. Got a bye and a walkover in the masters (4th) week, so it was only a 13 match win streak in three weeks.

I just don't think any Indian has won 4 weeks straight for 21 wins in a row at any level, like Vihaan has done (in at least the last 25+ years).
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jayakris wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:31 am
I wonder if it is financial issues stopping Sreesyleswari from playing more events. AITA should step in. Or somebody (we can!). Hope to hear more about her situation...
We should set up the charity.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

ITF Juniors J60 - Chennai, Hyderabad, Aug 2023

Post by jayakris »

The first of two J60 events got going this week in Chennai. Actually I don't think there is even one player in either qualies or main draw that was not an Indian or of Indian origin. Even the Indian-origin players are only 3 or 4.

The qualies draws from ITF - Boys ... Girls

Main draw and results - Boys

Main draw and results - Girls
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: ITF Juniors J60 - Chennai, Hyderabad, Aug 2023

Post by sameerph »

We had a thread for 2023 junior circuit in India. Should we merge this in that thread ?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Oh, ok, we can merge... [Merged. Mod, Jay]

After two rounds, there are no big surprises in the QF. I had hoped for Rishitha Reddy Basireddy and Harithasree Vankatesh to do better. Maaya Rajeshwaran booked her place in the QF... Very glad to see the 15 year old, Sree Syleswari Velmanikandan (who seems to be poor or something, and has not played outside TN yet) continue her win streak which is now at 9 matches, going back to the Madurai J30 last year.

I think Sreesyleswai is probably the most talented junior girl in India right now (behind Shruti) - purely based on her results. Hope I am not jinxing her too much by speaking too early. As of now I expect her to meet Maaya in the final. Let us see.

On the boys' side, it is Rethin's event to lose. He should not be losing to anybody in the field, ranked well ahead of all of them as top seed, and making one wonder if he should even be playing this event. 4th seed Vraj Gohil is the only seed who did not make the QF, so all going on expected lines so far.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

jayakris wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:04 pm I think Sreesyleswai is probably the most talented junior girl in India right now (behind Shruti) - purely based on her results. Hope I am not jinxing her too much by speaking too early. As of now I expect her to meet Maaya in the final. Let us see.
I think I did jinx her, as her 9-match win streak ended in a 64 46 46 loss to Sreenidhi Balaji in the QF.

3rd seed Asmi Adkar was dumped out by a 14 year old qualifier Kashvi Sunil who has upset 2 seeds already. Thirteen year old Wildcard Diya Ramesh justified the respect she has, with an upset of the 7th seed Nainika (who is a good player too) to follow up on her well-expected R1 upset of the 4th seed Sai Janvi (well, maybe only I expected it :) )

It is Maaya vs Kashvi and Diya vs Sreenidhi. Eighth seed Maaya is the only seed left in the SFs. Girls draw/results - Chennai J60

On the boys' side it all went just as I expected, except for the 8th seed Venkat Batlanki of USA (who has not had great results in the juniors) getting a retirement from 2nd seed Sehaj Singh Pawar who has been continuously playing lately, and has made the stupid mistake of playing 4 weeks in a row - the previous three in Africa. Why would you do that for the weeks leading up to the 2 Indian events in which you want to do well? :frown: And then, when will somebody tell our kids that retiring one game away from losing is just not a nice thing to do?...

So it is Rethin vs Aarjun Pandit and Kandhavel vs Vankat. Boys draw/results - Chennai J60
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

No surprises in the Friday semis. It is Maaya vs Diya on the girls' side and Rethin vs Kandhavel on the boys' side in the finals today.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

ge
jayakris wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:17 pm Thank you for posting the link! It is a terrific article from Kamesh, whose service to Indian tennis is unparalleled, really. Old friend of mine, and a great gentleman. He still goes around, covering big and small tennis events, and actually watching the matches (man, what a concept for tennis scribes!). And he gives us the most correct judgment on most of our players. He has been doing it for nearly 30 years, but Kamesh still doesn't consider himself the "senior journalist" who only goes to Wimbledon. Thank you, sir. If I need to know how good a player anybody is, I would search for a Kamesh article that may have reported on a match. He may only say one or two words and he rarely criticizes anybody - but his comments are always on the money, if he makes any! The best tennis journalist in the world, in my opinion.

This kid has unbelievable maturity at his age. I wish some of our senior players would learn from the kid. Kamesh clearly got the crux of the matter in his summary lines. Some (many/most) of our players never get it!

Has it been 30 years … time seems to be flying. One of the best sports writers.

Best wishes for Vihaan. Hope he continues to grow and bring more accolades
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Maaya beat Diya 61 64 and Rethin beat Kandhavel 64 61 to take the titles at the Chennai J60. Maaya also won the doubles title.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Maaya beat everyone in straight sets here. She is clearly one of the most talented girl to come out in last few years. Hope she continues on this promise.

Rethin surely be not playing at this level event. He is 16 and should be moving up to higher level tournaments now. He was troubled in only 1 match in SF against Aarjun Pandit where he won in 3 sets. Aarjun looks another one with some talent. Had reached J100 SF in Iran last month.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

This week's J60 has reached the semifinal stage at Hyderabad.

The girls' event has been more interesting to me, as I was unconvinced which, if any, of the boys playing this week is a "sure-bet high-end talent". Rethin is also not there this week...

Prisha joined the girls' event this week (I was wondering why she didn't play last week), to join the talented bunch of 2009 batch girls (14 and under right now) that includes Maaya, Harithasree, and Diya... Harithasree and Diya aren't playing this week, but Maaya continues from last week, on her win streak that has reached nine matches now. I would have predicted three of the SF players quite easily - 10th seed Sreenidhi, 9th seed Maaya and 5th seed Prisha.

Here are the girl's draw and results from ITF... Maaya vs Prisha will hopefully be a fun match tomorrow.

On the boys' side, I had a fair degree of confidence only on Sehaj Singh Pawar reaching the SF. 17 year old top seed Debasis Sahoo has actually surprised me by reaching the SF. It is pretty much a crap shoot if we want to predict who will win this event.

Here are the boy's draw and results from ITF...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Prisha didn't give as much of a fight to Maaya as I expected. Basically Maaya is proving herself to be a cut above the other few in the u14 group who seem talented. Maaya's win streak is now at 9 matches in singles (and 7 in doubles, as she had won the doubles title last week with Aaakruti Sonkusare, and is in the final with Rishitha R Basireddy this week). Against Maaya in the final is Saumya Ronde with a surprise run. Saumya got a retirement from Sreenidhi Balaji who had actually won the first set 6-4 before retiring. Interestingly, it is the second time Sreenidhi is playing Saumya in an ITF event, and she had to retire at 2-2 in the first set the last time in April too. 7th seed Sia Mahajan had also retired in the R2 against Saumya, and she had a wildcard and a qualifier also among her 4 wins. So, a bit of a really lucky run for her here.

On the boy's side, the top seed Debasis Sahoo faces 2nd seed Sehaj Singh Pawar, as they both won three-setters in the SFs. Interestingly, Debasis Sahoo has won a lot of three-setters in the past few events. 7 of the last 11 wins have come in three-setters for him.

ITF's draw/results links are in the post above.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Maaya Rajeshwaran won another double crown this week, following last week's double crown at Chennai. Maaya beat Soumya Ronde easily 63 61 in singles and then teamed up with Rishitha Reddy to take the doubles title over Aaaradhya Varma and Shanvita Reddy.

In the boy's draw, 16 year old 2nd seed Sehaj Singh Pawar beat top seed Debasis Sahoo in a 67(6) 62 61 comeback. The doubles title went to Debasis and Samarth Sahitha who beat Sehaj and Pratyaksh (with a last name still unknown to ITF after several events, and listed as XXX)

The tour goes to tow lower level J30 events in Bengaluru and Ahmedabad, and some of the top players like Maaya are expected to skip them.

Maaya should go to around #465 next, as among the youngest 5 or 10 players in the ITF junior top-500. BIg jump for her from near #1200 from just two events. Well-deserved ranking, as she seems to indeed be one of the super talented players that has emerged lately.