Mens hockey world cup 2023

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Mens hockey world cup 2023

Post by sameerph »

If you ask Jay, he will have a different opinion. I remember he said get a coach who has a resume of having previously taken a team to an olympic or world medal and he will get you a medal at big events. I am not sure if Graham Reid had that in his resume, will need to check. But, whatever said and done, he has delivered us our first olympic medal in hockey in 40+ years. It is not right the way he has been treated. This is an article on this-

Graham Reid scapegoated for India’s embarrassing hockey World Cup show
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

And so begins a new round to find scapegoats, with Roelant Oltmans trying to make a come back and possibly Shane McLeod who has an impressive resume as a possible candidate .
But the name of Siegfreid Aikman is surprise ,one who has no experience of leading a top nation and who recently broke away from the Pakis.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/hocke ... 489611.cms
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:24 pmIf you ask Jay, he will have a different opinion. I remember he said get a coach who has a resume of having previously taken a team to an olympic or world medal and he will get you a medal at big events. I am not sure if Graham Reid had that in his resume, will need to check. But, whatever said and done, he has delivered us our first olympic medal in hockey in 40+ years. It is not right the way he has been treated.
To be precise, my opinion was that a coach WITHOUT the resume of being a player (or preferably a coach) that made a podium finish in Olympics, Word Cup or Champions, was NOT going to take us to a podium finish at those events. Graham Reid had the resume and he did the job for us. I am truly sad that he is leaving. I would have trusted him to fix the current problems than anybody else.

Let us hope for somebody with the right resume to replace him.
ssp

Post by ssp »

I'm sad to see Reid go. He did really well but I think the lack of discipline and some arrogance from our Tokyo squad led to a steady decline in performance and results.

I had doubts about getting into the QFs, given the make up of the team selected. So many poor/out of form players that the results were as expected 9actually a bit better than I feared!!).

Most of the blame will fall on Harmanpreet, but why did we have only him as the main drag flicker. Reid can be blamed for zero options on PCs but the rest was all very predictable.

The question now is will we have a much needed clear out of the players as well? 6-7 of this team have no business keeping out new talent
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

We need Hockey India League, otherwise there is no hope!!! 😢