Happy 75th Birthday, Bharat!

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
srini

Re: Happy 75th Birthday, Bharat!

Post by srini »

I am all for dropping the word "India" too. I just didn't like the timing for the change, and i ask should BJP have waited until its 2nd term end and ONLY after an opposition alliance names itself as INDIA, would it come forward to drop it?

Its not a change for me at all who had all my school education upto class 12 in Telugu and we always read it like "Bharata Desam" in all text books. When i utter the "Sankalpa" in my Puja, i say "Jambu Dweepe, Bharata Vasrhe Bharata Khande". So if foreigners have some initial trouble figuring out Bharat is the name they need to use going forward so be it. Did they have any trouble with calling "Bangladesh" as "Bangladesh" then what's the pain they have in calling "Bharat" ? or is anyone still referring to "Srilanka" as "Ceylone" from the time it was changed in 1972?

BJP had always this ONE nation ONE market, ONE Flag, ONE tax, ONE law, ONE language thing...but how many of you even in your wildest dreams saw BJP would drop one of the two official names, India, in constitution and say ONE Nation One Name?

Sept 18th special session was convened on the auspicious day of "Ganesh Chaturthi" to preclude any Vighnas/impediments.
Modi has many Tricks up his sleeve, he is revealing one by one...let's wait for more coming until election day, who knows.. tomorrow they may say One Nation One Flag and One Color for it (safforn what else ;) ? and drops the other two )
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Srini, can you please dissociate each discussion with Modi and argue on the merits? Let’s stick to the name discussion and not speculate on why, when, how Modi plans to do it. Thanks.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

As a side note, I have noticed lately that Pakistan has started calling India Bharat as of late instead of Hindustan. I think this way they can make their case of minority persecution more sanguine.
srini

Post by srini »

I may have speculated a lot of other things, but this is not :p ...Govt has already called for a special session of parliament between Sept 18th to 22nd and they made their intentions very clear...no guess work needed.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:12 pm As a side note, I have noticed lately that Pakistan has started calling India Bharat as of late instead of Hindustan. I think this way they can make their case of minority persecution more sanguine.
Huh? Hindustan is a more majoritarian name than Bharat, which does not mention a religion.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:10 pm Srini, can you please dissociate each discussion with Modi and argue on the merits? Let’s stick to the name discussion and not speculate on why, when, how Modi plans to do it. Thanks.
Why? This is not a moderated debate on the merits of the name. He wants to debate why the BJP is doing this now. Very valid imho. We can have multiple threads of debate here.

What are the merits we are talking of? There are many angles. Should the name be changed? What should the name be? What is the impact of the name change? Should we do it? etc. These are valid. But, he wants to discuss the Why now? And, gave a good reason. The opposition was stupid to choose an English name "India". So, the BJP is playing the game to make that name not as glamorous. This is how democracy works. As many know, I am not a fan of the BJP. But, all power to them to use this name issue. As long as it is not done to gin up riots, etc. I would rather the BJP do this than find another Masjid that was converted to a temple, etc. and rabble-rouse on the basis of that.
srini

Post by srini »

Thanks Prasen for coming to my defense for a 2nd time recently !

From now onwards i request forum members to reach out to my legal counsel Prasen before asking me to explain myself. :p

On a more serious note, i am a free spirit and was encouraged by the forum name meant for "General Chit chat" to vent some of the observations as i see them. I would think twice before posting any such stuff on the core sports related threads. Though not knowing any of you in person, still feel connected with most of the regular posters due to long time association on this forum. So if some of my posts looked speculative or cheeky, i would like to convey i didn't mean any disrespect to any forum member.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

A hefty bill is in the mail. :-)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

srini wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:07 pm Thanks Prasen for coming to my defense for a 2nd time recently !

From now onwards i request forum members to reach out to my legal counsel Prasen before asking me to explain myself. :p

On a more serious note, i am a free spirit and was encouraged by the forum name meant for "General Chit chat" to vent some of the observations as i see them. I would think twice before posting any such stuff on the core sports related threads. Though not knowing any of you in person, still feel connected with most of the regular posters due to long time association on this forum. So if some of my posts looked speculative or cheeky, i would like to convey i didn't mean any disrespect to any forum member.
Agree. Please continue posting. This is the safest place I know in my life to say anything. Sometimes I may request to alter the tone or topic, but by no means you or anyone is expected to listen to me. I vent a lot too. I enjoy the discussion. In my opinion, this is is one of the best discussion forum and knowledge source for all things India (or shall I say Bharat) that exists today. Surprising that no one has petitioned to change the forum name yet. :D
srini

Post by srini »

:Offtopic:

Oops..the address i gave to legal firm was a mailbox only address :D
srini

Post by srini »

Atithee wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:27 pm
srini wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:07 pm Thanks Prasen for coming to my defense for a 2nd time recently !

Agree. Please continue posting. This is the safest place I know in my life to say anything. Sometimes I may request to alter the tone or topic, but by no means you or anyone is expected to listen to me. I vent a lot too. I enjoy the discussion. In my opinion, this is is one of the best discussion forum and knowledge source for all things India (or shall I say Bharat) that exists today. Surprising that no one has petitioned to change the forum name yet. :D
Hey Thanks. Apologies again if i was near my speculative best :)

BTW why do you think i haven't raised the forum name change? here's the link to the post which happened before BJP came up with this "Bharat" name, speculators do have a hunch you know ;)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

For now, it will be the Khandita-Bharat Forum though.
srini

Post by srini »

:Offtopic:

Just for Fun!

Assuming India name will be dropped, these institutions/people should change their names to follow suit.

IIT - > BIT
IIM -> BIM
ISRO -> BSRO
Indian -> Bharatiya ?

Some company names are already in good stead, no change required for them.

BHEL, BEL, Bharat Petroleum etc

Some company names using "Hindustan" - Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), Hindustan Computers Ltd (HCL),HMT (a watch company) etc.

Not sure why these companies chose the name Hindustan which was not one of the official names, not that any private entity is obligated to, but was surprising to see some public sector companies like HAL also have "Hindustan" in the name.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Now, that is the name that I do not like even one bit. "Hindusthan". I am perfectly fine with two names - Bharat and India. But not "Hindusthan". Like the sthan (place) belongs to only Hindus... I don't like that name at all.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

^^^ But Sthan morphed into a suffix for 7 or 8 Muslim countries including the Bug Nation.