ACC Asia Cup

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: ACC Asia Cup

Post by Kumar »

Don’t really make sense of Thakur as to how he does this. I keep thinking it is not sustainable, but he seemingly gets a wicket out of nowhere.

27 runs in 16 balls with 8 wickets down. Every team seems to bat way deeper than india. The debutant playing his first game scores 14 off 8 balls.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Jadeja’s batting in ODI :puke:
We need to have him play up the order like 2 down… he needs a partner that can take quick singles. Kohli would fit that better. I don’t ever see jadeja getting dropped. Let us play him in the top order to salvage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerplay_(cricket)
From 1992 to 2012, during non-powerplay overs a total of five fielders were allowed outside the circle. This was changed to four in October 2012.[8] Moreover, from 1992 to 2005, two fielders were required in catching positions in the first fifteen overs. This was reduced to the first ten overs in July 2005.[9]

From 5 July 2015, the ICC further amended the rules, making the whole innings as a composition of 3 powerplays, thus removing the batting powerplay previously introduced.[10] Furthermore, the restriction of two catching fielders on the first powerplay was relaxed.
Ashwin bought up a great point that powerplay rules was effectively changed to reduce the impact of indian spinners .. but more than Indian spinners, this impacted our middle order batting big time. They were used to period of consolidation between overs 15 and 50 when field was spread out. But now with five players in the infield and our inability to score singles , the singles have not been as easy. Our bowlers and batsmen have failed to adopt to the new powerplay rules. They won the champions trophy in 2013 and after that their success is limited.

England’s fortunes changed after this rule change. . I see no scenario where england loses this.., may be pakistan can change the story.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Again its proved, selectors made disaster selection by including SKY in WC. He was playing sweep short without seeing the ball in every deliveries. Rayudu was sacrificed before 2019 WC and this time Hooda's career got sacrificed just to feed SKY's T20 stats in Odi.

Unlucky SKY of 2020 is very much lucky now as there is no contemporaries challenging his place in the Squad.
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Same goes with Tilak Verma. If a batter can't anticipate that a bowler is trying to set him with 3 outswingers, one got to come in, doesnt deserve international cricket. Tilak is another blind selection from T20s. All other teams even Pakistan & Bangladesh replacement players are performing, whereas Indian IPL greats are enjoying free WC tickets.
Last edited by Mukherjee Babu on Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

This article though old, reflects our problem. We need our players to play domestic games.

Kohli's last Ranji game was in the 2012 season against Uttar Pradesh. Rohit Sharma last appeared in a domestic first-class game for India Blue in Duleep Trophy in September 2016 while KL Rahul's last red-ball match for Karnataka was the Ranji semifin...

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/sports/cri ... 87604.html
I think Mayank Agarwal would have been a much better choice . If Shreyas Iyer is not fit, we should consider Mayank. He is the best player in indian conditions. Our selectors and team mgmt only follow horses for the courses with Ashwin. He played all his ODI in Australia/ NZ and was never considered after that. He has a SR of 98 in list A.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Once again failures by four batters in the top 7: Rohit, Ishan, NTTV, Jadeja. That did us in. In a low-scoring match, you can absorb three failures at most. In high scoring ones, 1-2 or none for ultra-high-scoring ones. Especially, if you play with 2-3 #11s. In this match, we had 2. The idea that somehow Jadeja can bat match-winning innings or bowl devastating wicket-taking spells is basically wishful thinking. Can happen but most likely will not. At this point, I find Axar's batting to be of more value because he does not waste balls.

Among the four failures, Ishan's inning was the worst because he ate up 15 balls. Seems like nobody is telling him not to waste so many balls at the beginning of an innings. That 15 balls was 5% of our total resources, a significant amount. This caused Thakur and Axar to hit out having no other options against good balls and gave the Bangladeshis the pressure they wanted.

But, our spinners, Jadeja, Axar, and NTTTV were also worse than the Bangladeshi spinners. We have deferred to Jadeja for too long in ODIs and maybe it is almost the time to say the same about Axar. If we had a few more pacers who can hit, then we perhaps would not have required all our spinners to be able to bat.

A brilliant innings by Gill went to waste. Because the others did not keep the run rate going.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

India was 183-6 in 39.1 overs while Bangladesh was 182-6 in 38.5 overs. Our 8,9 and 10 scored 59 runs in 53 balls with bulk of scoring come from Axar. Their 8,9 and 10 scored 87 runs in 63 balls with their 9 and 10 scoring half the runs with a greater SR..

For all said and done, Gill should have taken responsibility and stayed till end. Axar was 11 runs off 18 balls when he got out.

The funny thing is that Jadeja will never get dropped. He is one of the biggest sacred cow for this team than any of the others. Our team mgmt is paralyzed by indecision. They are sticking to old archaic formula.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

That the #8,9,10 of Bangladesh batted so well is an anomaly, a freaky thing. I can guarantee they will not repeat it. India could not copy them and knew very well we could not copy that. We are weaker in our #10 and #11 slots for sure. Anyway, we knew our last 3 could not match that. So, we should not have left it for the last 3. The top order especially Kishan played shameful innings. Maybe Jadeja too but I don't expect much from his bat.

Hit out (at the required rate) or get out. A bit slower I can understand but batting at a SR of 33.33 etc. is shameful.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:41 pm That the #8,9,10 of Bangladesh batted so well is an anomaly, a freaky thing. I can guarantee they will not repeat it. India could not copy them and knew very well we could not copy that. We are weaker in our #10 and #11 slots for sure. Anyway, we knew our last 3 could not match that. So, we should not have left it for the last 3. The top order especially Kishan played shameful innings. Maybe Jadeja too but I don't expect much from his bat.

Hit out (at the required rate) or get out. A bit slower I can understand but batting at a SR of 33.33 etc. is shameful.
The problem is when u have only 7 lives compared to other teams having 9-10, loss of early wickets outs lot of pressure. KL Rahul had a much slower SR as well. Ishan showed lot of positivity in the first game , but was lot more tentative in the next two. It seems like srilanka and bangladesh have better spinners than pakistan and this could be Pakistan biggest achilles heel in the wuest for world cup.

By the way, India named Washington sundar to be part of Asia cup after Axar’s injury. I am overtly fond of sundar in white ball cricket. He cannot take wickets. Even in the recently concluded deodhar trophy his bowling average was 26, while top spinner had average of 15, 16 and 20.incidentally the top 3 of the five bowlers with best averages are all left arm spinners. I have a feeling that hedoes not build his bowling skills as much as he should. Parag with his big hitting may be more suited, but failed in emerging cup.
Rajkumar Sharma

Kumar wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:16 pmParag with his big hitting may be more suited, but failed in emerging cup.
Why not Hooda ?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Hooda was very badly treated even though he did fine in the chances he got. A bit more patience was warranted.
Raju Bhai

Post by Raju Bhai »

Team needs allrounder like Arshad Khan, who can bat at n.o 6 and bring the ball into the right hand batters at 145+ kph with hus left arm pace
Rajkumar Sharma

It will be all spin for Sri Lanka. Sundor should play this game instead of Thakur
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

We do not need or can afford a batter who averages 20 at #6. Nor is an average of 37.66@6.45 with the ball useful, i.e., being hit out of the park in List-As. Let him show us that he can dominate in the matches he plays in the future and then we can talk. Taking a player like him in Hardik's place is basically harakiri.

I would opt for Sundar too. He has done okay in the limited chances he has gotten. He should be told to bat faster though.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:31 am It will be all spin for Sri Lanka. Sundor should play this game instead of Thakur
🧐🙄🙄