India fires Brahmos Supersonic missile into Pak(accidentally!!)

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Atithee

Re: India fires Brahmos Supersonic missile into Pak(accidentally!!)

Post by Atithee »

srini wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:44 pm
Atithee wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:44 am Can we get back to India firing the “accidental” missile?
Oops Thanks for gently flagging my rant. :p

More on this...
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/what-us ... an-2823163
Big Brother thinks there's absolutely no need to suspect india on missile as india vouches it was accidental. Biden thinks Modi is angel when compared to "killer" Putin, he better wait for Modi using his new pilot run for influencing 2024 re-relection outcome. So we can also put a pause on this thread until then and get back to it in 2024!
I’m now flagging it even more gently! :roll:
VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by VReddy »

Oops :p
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:31 pm ^^ True that US has "invaded" too. Many times. But there are big difference though.

The US did it with UN support in almost all cases, though one case -- Iraq -- involved lying to the UN, even if on the basis of clearly mistaken intelligence on WMD. More importantly, USA has NEVER taken territory in any of those invasions in well over a century. Russia has, and will do that here again. If it isn't clear that they will do that, there wouldn't be a reaction like this from the Ukrainian people (a portion of whom, may be 10 to 25%) are actually even okay with Russian influence and don't trust the West too much. The Ukrainians, except in the border regions, to the east (Donestsk etc) know that this is not a US-style invasion. This is a grab of territory; nothing else. That is why they are out there fighting with whatever they can find. The Iraqis and Afghans did not stand up against the US, because they knew that USA would not put up an oppressive undemocratic puppet government. And USA hasn't. In many cases they didn't want USA to leave (and the world reaction was to blame USA for "leaving after creating a mess"), but USA still left. Every damn time.

I feel the reverse of what you say about blaming Russia. I feel there is a lot of attempt out there to whitewash Russia, and equate what they are doing to what USA has done in many cases. But there is no equivalence at all.
Parts of this is total BS, Jay, with due deference. The U.S. has never ever cared for democracy. They cared always for power like any colonial power. It is true that they do things differently. In Iraq and Afghanistan, they have almost always put in puppet governments that have been oppressive. In all the cases, Iraq and Afghanistan, the country as a whole wanted the U.S. to leave long before they left. There were pockets of elites and supports, especially cities in Kabul and women in Afghanistan in the urban areas, who did not want them to leave. But, Iraq had had enough of the U.S. colonial occupation. In all of these countries, the U.S. has left a heavy presence of military ranging from Korea to Japan to Iraq to Afghanistan almost always over 5,000 to preserve their own "strategic interests".

I do not know if Russia has occupied the regions and kept control. Russia has played the game of destabilizing the areas near its border and keeping them in turmoil with no stable government. Ukraine is different because this is not fudging the borders like they have been doing in Crimea or Donetsk but this is all out warfare. I honestly do not know what they will do. Maybe I do not know enough history. Which country has Russia occupied for the last century? I am not a supporter of Russia. Far from it. This attack is utterly despicable. But, so was each of the U.S. wars. It devastated and ruined Iraq into one of the poorest countries in the world from being a stable autocracy of sorts but much better economically.

Afghanistan was a basket case. The U.S. intervention hardly did anything and left it perhaps poorer although the case is not as cut and dry as the total devastation of Iraq. You still buy the Bush nonsense of Iraqis welcoming U.S. soldiers with open arms. By and large, they opposed the U.S. soldiers, nobody really welcomed them except the elite who were being propped by the U.S., aka the puppets and their followers who would make a tone of quick money and grab power. The elected legislature and leaders of Iraq at one point wanted the U.S. to get out but they would not.

The U.S. tried to impose a puppet government in Iran by supporting the Shah. Again, I am not a supporter of Khomeini, etc. And, given a choice would have preferred Shah but the U.S. meddling is undeniable. The U.S. toppled the democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh after their puppet for over a quarter century was toppled.

Bush toppled the Hamas government in or around 2006. Hamas was democratically elected.

I have not even started going back to South America whose history of democratically elected leftist governments brutally toppled by the U.S. is a long saga. Let me know if you need pointers.

The history of the U.S. is to install puppet governments all over the world toppling democratically elected governments. We are just better at doing so covertly without using brute force as the Russians are doing OR doing so in Iraq and Afghanistan under some pretext or the other. That is they did much better PR.

I am not denying that the Russian attack is barbaric. But, they have very similar goals as the American invasions. To install puppet governments that they can influence and exercise power on foreign lands. Only time will tell whose method is worse. Maybe the Russians are more brutal but we will see the overall damage this causes to Ukraine eventually and see whether it was totally destroyed like Iraq was and see how many casualties are there.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:14 pm In Iraq and Afghanistan, they have almost always put in puppet governments that have been oppressive.
This is where we disagree. You mean the governments that US left Iraq and Afghanistan were more oppressive than the Saddam and Taliban governments? If you buy that argument that anti-USA people say, then we cannot argue. Because that is the key difference in my mind. Mostly similar in the S.America cases too. People were there in invaded countries who didn't want US there though; on that there is no disagreement.

Anyway, you are a US citizen. I am not. So I guess I will should buy what you say. As for me, I do not want India to hitch its wagon to a failed and again-failing country of hardly much economic might, at the expense of good relations with USA. There isn't any country out there that has really benefited from being with Russian, in comparison to USA. Not even any country that benefited from being "non-aligned" with no wagon hitched to anything. Cheap Russian oil and lower-quality arms are probably some short-sighted reasons, but that is not enough.

In simple terms, I feel that the world order (or the lie that it is) that the most powerful country in the world is in favor of, is better (again, however much of a lie that "democracy" is; and even if it leads to US "hegemony" for their own self-serving reasons). I just cannot accept any country with communist or dictatorial rules. Democracy may be a lie, but it is a more acceptable lie than anything else, to me.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:17 am
prasen9 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:14 pm In Iraq and Afghanistan, they have almost always put in puppet governments that have been oppressive.
This is where we disagree. You mean the governments that US left Iraq and Afghanistan were more oppressive than the Saddam and Taliban governments?
No, I did not say that. I said that they were not truly democratically elected. They were puppet governments and they were oppressive. They were certainly less oppressive than the Taliban. But, my issue is not how oppressive the government was but on whether they were U.S. stooges. And, both were.
If you buy that argument that anti-USA people say, then we cannot argue. Because that is the key difference in my mind. Mostly similar in the S.America cases too.
I am saying that Russia is following the U.S. blueprint. Topple a government in a foreign country that you do not like. That is all I am saying. And, that is not the U.S. blueprint. That is a function of the jungle-raj we have had in international affairs. There is no law. Nothing. Might is right. All colonial powers have done that. Russia is doing it.

The only difference I see is that you are claiming that Russia will just gobble up Ukraine. I think they possibly will not because the costs of maintaining control of a land with hostile people is large. They will do what the U.S. has regularly done. Put up puppet governments.

I do not know what you are claiming about South America. The U.S. put up brutal dictators like Augusto Pinochet and brought down the democratically elected government. My point is narrow. The U.S. cares diddly squat about democracy. It cares about power and more specifically money. Wherever conditions the U.S. thinks their businesses can make money, they support that regime, however brutal and however dictatorial they may be. I am assuming you know and read about the details in Chile. Even after that if you say that the U.S. cares for democracy and topples dictators and not the other way around, I do not have much to say.

Please read the long history of the banana wars. It is always about U.S. power. By hook or by crook. Sovereignty of our neighbors be damned.
People were there in invaded countries who didn't want US there though; on that there is no disagreement.
Not just people. The majority of the Iraqis wanted the U.S. to be out much before the U.S. was out. And, the Iraqis never welcomed the U.S. army with open arms. However much Bush wanted us to believe.
Anyway, you are a US citizen. I am not. So I guess I will should buy what you say.
No, you should not. I want you to argue as I want everyone with opposing viewpoints do. I want to flesh out the details. And only two parties arguing can bring that out.
As for me, I do not want India to hitch its wagon to a failed and again-failing country of hardly much economic might, at the expense of good relations with USA.
Fully agree here. I do not want India to hitch itself with Russia either. I am no fan of Russia and I think this war is diabolical. The difference is that I think almost all wars except defensive wars are diabolical. I think that way as an Indian ... okay, Indian American, I am proud. We never went around colonialising other people's lands as all the colonial powers starting from the Muslims in Central Asia to the British to the Americans to the Russians now have done.
There isn't any country out there that has really benefited from being with Russian,
Separate argument. I am fully with you on whom we should side with. All I am saying is that I do not see very much of a difference between the U.S. colonialism and the Russian one. Both are deplorable in my eyes.

Please argue your point or points where we disagree, btw.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

For Prasen to lighten up his angst :D

And, the real reason behind the “accidental” firing. :D :D

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:-)

Actually, lonch means a motorized boat usually with a roof. :-)

I really do not have much angst but much sadness by the repeated opposition of the U.S. to the creation of any semblance of a world government instead of this might is right raj.
srini

Post by srini »

Ironically even after the Iron curtain is supposed to be over, the 2 nations which continue to be most aggressive and invasive into other nations internal affairs are stll US and Russia. Chinese atleast backed off from a war with India in the last minute, India tried face saving tactics when Balakot strikes backfired.

US should stop playing protector of democracies for waging wars to sustain its war economy and Russia should stop taking leaf out of Us's playbook. i mean US CAN NOT usher in change like democracy for a society which is not ready for it! As simple as it seems to me, after all the body bags counted (on US side and Iraq side, what was the end result? A Regime that is now on more friendlier terms with Iran than US ? And what after 20 years of occupation of Afghan, isn't it back to the same Taliban rule ? Why US does all this drama even losing some of its precious young soldier lives in the process only those at the helm would know. Democracies are not for every one...as there is no guarantee tyrants don't get elected democratically...Putin is democratically elected...Modi is too!
These tyrants get elected only because general public gets vexed up with puppets like MM Singh.

Western media keep projecting Jelensky as a hero and keeps feeding the narrative that "Ukrainians" are resisting the Russia's might, when infact it's the NATO and West waging a proxy war with Russia all the way! Even US took 30 days to conquer a Iraq which didn't receive any proxy support. Need to see how long Russia will take for a country which practically gets all military supplies from West.

By the way any predictions on what the end game would be? Will the hero flee to Poland (like it always happens in so many cases of invasion ) after costing all those innocent lives and will Russia annex Ukraine?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Please open a new US bashing topic. This debate about US has little to do with the the thread topic.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

srini wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:56 am Why US does all this drama even losing some of its precious young soldier lives in the process only those at the helm would know.
And a lot of others do. The issue is that corporations and the defence industry is a huge lobby. More than half of our taxes (not counting social security and medicare) goes to the war ministry (okay that name has been changed now).
Democracies are not for every one...as there is no guarantee tyrants don't get elected democratically...Putin is democratically elected...Modi is too!
These tyrants get elected only because general public gets vexed up with puppets like MM Singh.
Or because Russian elections are a sham.
Western media keep projecting Jelensky as a hero and keeps feeding the narrative that "Ukrainians" are resisting the Russia's might, when infact it's the NATO and West waging a proxy war with Russia all the way!
What is a proxy war? And, why does that justify Russians killing so many innocent people.

Yep, a kind mod may move this all to the politics thread or some other thread. Sorry!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

For the record, the US stood with India on this. They said they saw no reason to think of the missile firing as anything but what India said it was -- a mistake. Somehow the Indian press and intelligentsia do not seem to notice anything the US does that is friendly to India.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

US India relationships have been better since before Bajpayee. And that is for the better.
srini

Post by srini »

jayakris wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:06 pm Somehow the Indian press and intelligentsia do not seem to notice anything the US does that is friendly to India.
Right now US took friendly stand, and probably it matches with their geo political interests at the moment. But that can change any time. More over there's also a chance US smelled an opportunity to sustain its war industry after the Ukraine war(Obviously the board of directors of war industry companies will be discussing what after Ukraine war for our livelihood kinda questions in board meetings!) and US is not foolish to make sense of assertions by RSS guys from Modi ministry that all of POK plus Aksai Chin is part of India etc etc.More wars more money.. "Show me the money yeaah"!!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Every country is looking out for its own interests. And, no relationship is permanent. That is realpolitik.

The U.S. does what it things is in its best interest. It always has. The problem is democracies sometimes produces governments that do not match with western philosophies. For example, the Muslim Brotherhood was democratically elected in Egypt. Truly, the people possibly will want them again if they are given a chance. But, the U.S. would prefer the generals, who are not as religiously minded as Muslim Brotherhood to be in power if that is the case. So, democracy is a PR thing only. See the support of the autocrats in the middle east.

The problem is what it thinks sometimes is wrong and results in bad outcomes. See Saddam Hussein, Pinochet, etc.
srini

Post by srini »

Now Wesern media has started churning out articles of how Ukranian army is pushing back Russians by retaking territory and towns they lost earlier.I am not sure how much of it can be believed, but such narratives can make hard sceptics like me also to believe the military supplies provided by West and crippling sanctions on Russia are probably tilting balance in Ukraine's side.If its really happening so its a worrying development because that would drive Putin crazy and make him take additional risks with nuclear weapons that he may not originally intended to use.I am really hoping he can get some face saver and back-off leaving Ukraine declaring the objectives he intended before the start of this "special" military operation have been achieved.I would really like to close any serious topics like this and get back to the fun and excitement of sports,but can't really be blinded to the real threat world is facing now.It's high time to dismantle the UN that has been grossly in-effective in providing any deterrent for wars like this.If every country acts in its own self interests and not do whats morally right, the days are limited for the world to doom. I don't think every country acted in self interest, atleast India in Nehruvian era didn't...it actually acted on what current world would call as "misplaced" priorities by supporting China for security council over its own bid etc. Hopefully world sees the need for a stronger structure that replaces UN which actually makes it mandatory to dismantle all these military treaties like NATO and instead makes it mandatory for every country to commit for peace keeping forces that can be used as a deterrent on these unilateral wars by US, Russia etc.
PS : If any moderator would, please rename the thread to conflicts of the world and just hope this thread can rest in peace soon.