Under19 World Cup 2022 : West Indies

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Under19 World Cup 2022 : West Indies

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Partnership is taking England for some respectable total
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:03 pm Its too early to predict that under 19 will fail with 0 domestic games in their names.
It is too early to predict that they will succeed with 0 domestic games in their names. If they were SRT good they would have been in test cricket already. The fact that they have zero domestic games means they were not good enough to be picked.

And, statistically speaking, most U-19 players fail. So, this crop will not be any different. It is not too early to say that. The onus of proof of these players being extraordinary in contrast to their predecessor U-19 teams five of which (or was it 4) won the cup is on you, who is claiming a ridiculous three players will be in the full team within a year.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

So India win again! Indian pacers get 9 of the 10 wickets to fall, Raj Bawa will be sold for multiple crores in IPL. If he shines in that stage ans if Hardik can’t bowl, Bawa may play in the WC he probably has the best chance. Would be surprised if any others make the WC team.

Where are the players from 2018 winning team.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/ind ... -where-now

Manjot Kalra MOM from last finals was suspended for one year due to age fudging. English boys actually looked younger than indian kids.

Prasen, you should absolutely love Bawa’s father comments,
https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... l-7758816/
“Fast bowling to uske DNA mey hai (Fast bowling is in his DNA). He picked up a five-wicket haul in an U-12 match in Gurgaon. That was the moment I told him you should focus on your batting more,” Sukhwinder tells The Indian Express.
The reason behind Sukhwinder’s insistence was that he never wanted his son to be a tailender. “I wanted him to become a proper batter, not some fast bowler who can’t even face 10 balls. I worked on his batting and never allowed him to bowl pace for almost five years.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, mostly. And I am sure Atithee will be too. I was cutting the whole bowling unit a slack not looking at the last three. So, he would say our tail is the worst meaning last three and I would say that they are not meaning the last five! But, it is the spinners who were bailing us out. However, now I have given up hoping that the tailenders will become better batters and want them to be dropped at least in the ODI and T20 teams. Bumrah has started taking his batting seriously. Bumrah always seemed like a smart chap. His mom was a teacher I think. Now, wrt this comment. I like it except the last part. Don't let him bowl fast for five years? That is totally stupid. Maybe that is an exaggeration.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Yes, if we have a genuine allrounder, get him into the A-team.

Although if the next WC is in India, we may be fine with a spin bowling allrounder. The problem with two white balls is that the spinners are de-emphasised these days. So, we have to work extra hard.

Batting clinic for Shami and Bumrah. They need to bat an hour every day before they are allowed to bowl. Throw in Chahal ... and Bishnoi too. And Kuldeep if he can keep his line and length while bowling that is.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

We will have to see if he ends up being a Hardik Pandya whose body could not handle pace bowling. Becoming a pace bowler requires lot of effort and probably his dad felt that he may not have energy to work on his batting skills if he was bowling a lot. Lot of times, the bowlers probably get throw downs and do not face genuine bowlers or bowlers who are tired. Hopefully there is a method to his madness.

I hope he can be the allrounder for India. Early days yet.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Bowling, batting, whatever. You are absolutely right in that bowling takes a lot of toll on the body. I hope at least this lot is given support, training and scientific advice wrt how the body matures, etc. The Aussies managed Cummins very, very well when he was breaking down early in his 20s and built his body up. I think they are doing the same with Jhye Richardson. Of course, they tried with Pattinson but did not succeed. We should do the same. We certainly have the money. We need to put a system together.

I think S. Bawa had a slip disc injury due to which his career came to an end. That is perhaps why he did not want his son to try to bowl fast before the body built up properly.
Rajkumar Sharma

prasen9 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:46 pm
Rajkumar Sharma wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:03 pm Its too early to predict that under 19 will fail with 0 domestic games in their names.
It is too early to predict that they will succeed with 0 domestic games in their names. If they were SRT good they would have been in test cricket already. The fact that they have zero domestic games means they were not good enough to be picked.

And, statistically speaking, most U-19 players fail. So, this crop will not be any different. It is not too early to say that. The onus of proof of these players being extraordinary in contrast to their predecessor U-19 teams five of which (or was it 4) won the cup is on you, who is claiming a ridiculous three players will be in the full team within a year.
You seems not getting my point. I mentioned in every comments 3 or 4 will be included in the senior team not directly but through domestic performances. Yuvraj, Rohit, Pant set domestic cricket on fire before their selection. 2020 Under 19 batch still to play full domestic season as last 2 years there was no domestic cricket. In indian set up there is always 2/3 performing domestic players competing for the senior spot. Since domestic season did'nt take place team is continuing with past performance specially in test as a result selectors are going for experience rather new ones and giving those failures more chances.

Under 19 kids like Yash Jaiswal, Akash Singh and few more of that under19 batch would have know their position if everything had gone well in past 2 years. Not a single selector is there who can stop these under 19 kids getting picked if they perform in domestic.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Getting back to the final: very well managed chase although there was little bit of tension when 3rd & 4th wickets fell quickly and then again when 5th & 6th wickets fell.

I found Swann's commentary (Sky Sports) nauseating. Talking up the English team and seeing issues for us repeatedly. He actually said that he'd rather be in the England's position when we were 175/6 than the India's! The Indian commentator (Deep Das Gupta, I think) expressed his incredulity at this comment very nicely. Mark Nicholas is equally c**p when it comes to white v Asian teams.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Rounding up the stats from this tournament. Just amazing to see that none of India’s opponents scored more than200. None of our batsman or bowlers were top scorers for tournament. Which actually shows their strength.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/unde ... at-1300043
The bowlers played a key role in India's success as no team reached the 200-run mark against them. No opening batter scored more than 30 against them in the tournament, and the highest opening partnership they conceded was only ten runs. The average partnership for the first wicket was against India in this tournament only 4.16 runs, the lowest for any bowling team in an edition of the Under-19 World Cup.
Another interesting observation, number of all rounders in lot of teams. Three players scored a century and also got a fifer with Pakistan’s Qasim’s Akram doing it in same game. Would be interesting to seemhow many of them pan out as allrouders when they graduate to seniors.
Rajkumar Sharma

Former selector MSK thinks Sk. Rasheed as future n.o 3 for India, in other words replacement of Kohli, when he retires. MSK finds the shadow of " The Wall" on him. Rasheed looks technically correct and those back foot punch look so much elegant.

https://pipanews.com/shaik-rasheed-remi ... 9-batsman/
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

ssp wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:45 am I found Swann's commentary (Sky Sports) nauseating. Talking up the English team and seeing issues for us repeatedly. He actually said that he'd rather be in the England's position when we were 175/6 than the India's! The Indian commentator (Deep Das Gupta, I think) expressed his incredulity at this comment very nicely. Mark Nicholas is equally c**p when it comes to white v Asian teams.
These guys are racist what's new. See Vaughn.

I think doing batting and bowling at a very high level internationally year after year and managing their fitness/body is a hard task. So, most of these guys will not be allrounders. But, a few will.

It was a good win but if we want to find out the next-gen, instead of looking at the hype here we should look at the U-23 in domestics, and more importantly A-teams.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:18 pm

I think doing batting and bowling at a very high level internationally year after year and managing their fitness/body is a hard task. So, most of these guys will not be allrounders. But, a few will.

It was a good win but if we want to find out the next-gen, instead of looking at the hype here we should look at the U-23 in domestics, and more importantly A-teams.
Most of the all rounders are spinning variety which is probably slightly (emphasis on slightly) easier.

I kind of agree with you on this age group with a caveat. Dominating performance against quality opponents in this age group usually translates well. They will definitely get their opportunities in IPL and domestics an hopefully A tours. Let us see how they show up.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kumar wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:38 pm I kind of agree with you on this age group with a caveat. Dominating performance against quality opponents in this age group usually translates well. They will definitely get their opportunities in IPL and domestics an hopefully A tours. Let us see how they show up.
Maybe you are right ... I did not check. I remember being very hopeful about Unmukt Chand but then disappointed by his disappearing. Same things is possibly happening with Prithvi Shaw. And Parthiv ... could not keep. But, I'll check sometime later if I can find "dominating performance" and see how they have done. Gill dominated too ... he will possibly stick. The jury is still out on him. He does not seem to be a Kohli though, which I initially thought he was. Maybe he will fix his technical deficiency. Kishan also seems interesting but ordinary. So, it was basically, Yuvraj, Rohit, Jadeja, and Kohli. Hope the folks who did well in the last ten years or so will put their hands up and emerge.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I was debating on whether I should put this in the doping thread. ;-)

Age-fudging allegation against Hangargekar, BCCI unlikely to act
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Kumar wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:14 pm Manjot Kalra MOM from last finals was suspended for one year due to age fudging. English boys actually looked younger than indian kids.
I had raised the specter of this as well..
With the national level selection meaning great opportunities, it is probably rampant. The funny thing is that indian parents show their kids as older so that they can join school early.