19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2023

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: 19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2023

Post by sameerph »

indiansportsfan wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:54 pm Women's hockey was definitely #1. Boxing doesn't have reliable rankings, but what more proof of #1 is needed other than winning the world championships.
For triple jumpers and 1500, will need to check the season's top list.
Triple jumper Pravin Chithravel had the top mark of the year of 17.37M just a Cm ahead of Chinese Zhu Yaming but Chithravel has not performed well when mattered. He only had 16.38M in Budapest world championships while Chinese Yamming Zhu had 2 marks of 17.15 and 17.14M. Second Chinese also crossed 17M in Budapest. So, this results at Asian games were as per expectations. Gold and silver to Chinese and bronze to Chithravel with 16.68M which is what his real level is.

Mens 1500M I expected Ajay Kumar Saroj to win gold and I though he made a late charge due to which he missed that.

Apart from that as you said - 1 between Nikhat-Lovlina, Mens chess team, Womens hockey team, mens doubles tennis were the golds which were expected and missed.

But, we got some surprise ones too like Anu Rani in Javelin, she was in no sort of form before the games or Parul Chaudhary in womens 5000M.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

To me the best performances at these Asian Games were (in this order):
- total dominance of compound archery (men's, women's, mixed team, individual) and the calmness of the triumphs (Ojas Deotale and Jyoti Surekha Vennam were spectacular; in the mixed team, the latter outdid the former, but that was probably just a relatively bad day for Ojas).
- The 1-2 finish in men's javelin, which has become an event embraced by Indians ever since Neeraj became the first ever Indian Olympic medalist (and, of course, GOLD medalist) in athletics
- The blemishless unbeaten run to the men's hockey gold medal, including the 5-1 triumph in the final and 10-2 decimation of Pakistan
- Parul Chaudhury's 5000m gold medal (especially the spectacular kick sprint finish in the final 50-70m) and 3000m steeplechase silver
- Satwik-Chirag bringing home our first ever Asiad gold medal in badminton
- Ayhika and Sutirtha Mukherjee beating the world champions in women's doubles TT to earn a bronze (had they won another round, I would have ranked this higher) in a sport where we are FAR behind China normally
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Fully agree with PKBs list above but would flip the top 2. Even though the domination in compound was the most amazing, it is still a sport without Olympic recognition and of course isn’t a professional sport by any stretch of imagination.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Another big disappointment of asian games. Cost us 2 medals possibly a gold. Ashish missed few jumps during show jumping!! He was in the top position. In fact I remember watching it out their website and did not know why would someone be eliminated. Now I know the answer.

https://thebridge.in/asian-games/stupid ... ting-44153
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Oh, I had no idea this had happened. Sad :-(
usaindia