Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Manas Dhamne thread

Post by jayakris »

Meanwhile, Manas is now the second highest 16 year old on ATP points ranking, with two more to take his tally to 7... Only Darwin Blanch with 12 ATP points has more. Manas has earned his points the hard way, playing a lot of futures and getting up to speed (6 pro events in 2022, 9 in 2023, and 8 already this year). He has basically skipped the junior events for most of the past year, and only played one junior event in the last 8 months. But he has clearly taken a "next step" in the last 3-4 months.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At the Challenger 75 in Francaville al Mare, Italy (clay)

[Q2] (WC) Manas Dhamne (IND,1257) l. (2) Alessandro Giannessi (ITA,352), 2-4 RET.

Manas got injured :( ... He was playing quite well till that point, despite a break in the match in the 4th game. He had just saved a 30-40 BP to hold serve (0/3 in BPs by him, and 1/3 by Giannessi). Giannessi hit a great drop shot and Manas ran from behind the baseline on the left to the right serve box corner. Great speed there. He reached the ball and almost hit a cross court winner that just clipped the net, but his right plant foot got caught on some sort of unevenness at the line and he tumbled forward. The ankle clearly got twisted, though I believe there was no gory ankle injury to be seen in the recording of the match, on frame forwarding. Giannessi was very nice to run to him immediately and help take his right shoe off, and the trainer came too. Manas was clearly in pain. After lying there for a minute, he sat up, and they tried to help him walk, holding him by his shoulders. He could not plant the right foot, so those two carried him to the bench - to audience applause. After some taping, he got on court for one more point, but that was just to see if he could even stand. He did walk around a little bit, trying to shake off the foot pain, and then walked gingerly to his spot to receive the ball. After returning it, he was hopping on one foot again. Retirement.

What a time for this injury! Just when he was looking so good and somewhat ready for the pro levels already. But he is only 16 and injuries should heal quickly if there is nothing more serious than a twisted ankle. As of now, I assume he will be out for at least a few days.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Bummer! Hopefully, this is a low grade sprain (days to weeks) rather than something worse!

Looking at the stats, each had 3 BPs so it was a fairly even match which is very impressive for a 16 year old playing against a 300+ player. Hoping for a quick recovery for him!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yeah, he was very competitive. Hit some great shots just before getting injured. You can watch the 36 minutes of match play at
https://www.atptour.com/en/atp-challeng ... 4/7707/all

He is quite clearly at least at a top-600 level already, in my opinion. Hope for him to not be injured seriously and to see him back soon.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, watched that replay. Manas was really good and hit some great shots. The way I saw in these 2 matches, he has taken his game a notch ahead. Maybe just needs to add a bit more power on serves and also ground strokes and he looks ready to get upto challenger level soon. I feel somewhere between 400-600 level right now but some adjustment and he can hit top 300 level pretty soon, maybe even within a year. Just a hunch because otherwise his strokes look so smooth and he has many more shots than many of the players we see who are ranked even within top 400.

Hope he gets over this injury and is back on the tour soon.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yes, the array of strokes is what amazes me. From just two matches, I have seen flat shots, loops, backhand cross courts, forehand heat, BH down the line, drops shots, etc. Even a couple of good volleys. Some of those retrieval shots are great too. He has something he can hot from anywhere on court, and he is super quick in movements too. Just listen to the sound from his racket. So smooth, because his shot timing is superb. This guy is going to be a load to handle for people once he adds a little more power to the shots and serves - and he has plenty of time to add that. Not too tall, not too short, and most importantly well-developed LEGS. I have always been a believer in that - and MB said it best sometime ago too; something like, "Give me a guy with legs, and I will show you a top tennis player" or whatever. Manas has it all. He can work on the upper body and core strength, and power will come.

Why did he have to get injured just when we started enjoying his tennis? Hope he will be back soon.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Second hand info is that Manas has an ankle sprain ligament issue that may take a few weeks, so maybe he will take about 45 days to get back to court. That sounds like a grade-2 ankle injury which usually takes 3 to 6 weeks to heal (so says Sri Guru Googlananda). Perhaps we should not expect him to be back to form and winning ways for a couple of months.

Unfortunate, but I am glad that it happened only after we saw that his game had unmistakably improved to a higher level. Let him take rest, heal fully and get back. His skills are not going to be affected by this, I would assume. Ankles do heal, even if it may take time to recover to full ankle stability.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks for that update,, Jay. That is unfortunate as some momentum which comes with confidence of doing well at this level will be lost. But one cannot help much with such kind of injury.

He can take his time to get it fully healed and come back recharged in couple of months.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is what Manas posted on his twiter-
Unfortunately I have hurt my ankle and will be out for a couple of weeks. Working hard to be back on court soon.
So, he mentions couple of weeks. Lets see.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:23 pm So, he mentions couple of weeks. Lets see.
I think he is being optimistic. Young guys usually are. At least there is no serious damage; otherwise he will not say that.
Prakharulz

Post by Prakharulz »

Manas is indeed back after a couple of weeks and playing the M15 Grodzisk Mazowiecki event in Poland.
His final qualifying round match is against Tanguy Genier from Switzerland.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Prakharulz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:49 pm Manas is indeed back after a couple of weeks and playing the M15 Grodzisk Mazowiecki event in Poland.
His final qualifying round match is against Tanguy Genier from Switzerland.
Actually 4 weeks. He was injured on Monday May 6th.
jayakris wrote:Second hand info is that Manas has an ankle sprain ligament issue that may take a few weeks, so maybe he will take about 45 days to get back to court. That sounds like a grade-2 ankle injury which usually takes 3 to 6 weeks to heal (so says Sri Guru Googlananda). Perhaps we should not expect him to be back to form and winning ways for a couple of months.
So, the Google info was right - 3 to 6 weeks. I was being unnecessarily pessimistic!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At the ITF M15 in Grodzisk Mazowiecki, POL (Clay):

[Q1] (6) Manas Dhamne (IND,1198) BYE
[Q2] (6) Manas Dhamne (IND,1198) d. Dorian Juszczak (POL,NR), 75 64
[Q3] (6) Manas Dhamne (IND,1198) vs (9) Tanguy Genier (SUI,1297)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Manas qualified in...

[Q3] (6) Manas Dhamne (IND,1198) d. (9) Tanguy Genier (SUI,1297), 64 75

There were a lot of breaks back and forth in the match. He was actually at 64 51, two breaks up, and served twice for the match and got broken twice, as he lost 17 of 22 points in a stretch there... At 5-5, he again went on a mini run, getting a break and serving it off, winnin 8 of the last 10 points.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Our players can't seem to avoid getting drawn against seeds these days... At the ITF M15 in Grodzisk Mazowiecki, POL (Clay),

[R1] (Q) (6) Manas Dhamne (IND,1198) vs (2) Ignacio Monzon (ARG,568)