FIH Men's Pro League

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: FIH Men's Pro League

Post by prasen9 »

ssp wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:53 pm There's no point in watching when Akashdeep, Mandeep, Lalit, Jarmanpreet and other perennial non performers are selected. Belgium played several newcomers, while we keep going back to dross! Just hope things get better after 2024 when most of my 'favourites' will retire...or could be 2028! :damn:
Hey, we have been at this for a long time. You will have new favorites then. :-)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Wow, we beat Belgium 4-1 today in pro league. After a long time, we have beaten Belgium with that kind of scoreline. Did not see the match to see what went well.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Great win by India. I think the Indian teams are reading SSP's posts and that is motivating them to prove him wrong. :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Long live Surinder Singh Plaha!
ssp

Post by ssp »

by arjun2761 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:22 pm

Great win by India. I think the Indian teams are reading SSP's posts and that is motivating them to prove him wrong. :D
Hahahaha. We won 5-1 against almost full strength Belgian team. Only Hendricks wasn't playing, so their PCs weren't the normal threat. Very pleased to see such a dominant Q1 & Q2 and we managed the game really well after that. None of the usual panic in Q4 was in evidence. Some great moves and skills. I think the team played with confidence and structure when not in possession. However, there were lots of silly cards and a few too many soft PCs conceded.

The umpiring was reasonably good (by the usual standards!). You can bet this won't be the case tomorrow v GB.
Hey, we have been at this for a long time. You will have new favorites then. :-)
Already have another 'favourite'- Raj Kumar Pal. Mandeep Mor is another candidate ;)

I am glad to see Sanjay get a game at this level. We have quite a few alternatives that should be tried out in these Pro League games. Pawan Rajbar, Shilanand Lakra, Raheel Khan and some of the U21s- Araijit Singh Hundal, Rohit and Anand Lakra.

Let's hope I'm proved wrong v the most annoying (and entitled) team in international hockey tomorrow.
srini

Post by srini »

Wow, such a dominant performance that it could bring back "ME in optimistic mode". Despite the umpiring crap in London stadium, my prediction for today match India Vs Piddly island 5-0 .GO India!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Is Craig Fulton coaching the team? Could it be his deep knowledge of the Belgium team that led to such a good win?

[I still remember us losing to Belgium just at the time when Belgium started their serious ascent out of nowhere, some 10 or 15 years ago, and how we were depressed. I remember writing about the careful planning Belgium did to get where they got at that point. That match was really a good indicator of where the two teams were going, at that time. Maybe things are somewhat reversed now]
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We drew 4-4 against GBR today and won in the penalty shootout. Another good result under new coach Craig Fulton. After couple of bad results last week, things look good with new coach although it may be too early to say anything.
srini

Post by srini »

Indian players played with black arm bands(for the victims of train tragedy) and if they could have 'warded' off English player Ward from striking 4 goals, they could have won today 4-0, but i would take a win even if its from a penalties.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Good to get 2 points, but we needed a win here to keep our chances of winning the Pro League. Now, it's very tough. We need 9-10 points from our last 4 matches and hope GB lose at least 3 of their remaining 5 games.

We conceded 17PCs today (ok 7-8 were just re-awards), which was way too many. Far too many silly errors in defence and too many cards. Umpires were non white but GB still got some crucial dubious decisions. Slightly disappointing to see us fail to hold on to 3-1 lead at half time and then 4-3 lead in Q4.

Mandeep scored a beauty. But I still want him out of the team forever because general play is pathetic. Just runs around aimlessly and his press is almost always rubbish as he runs along the wrong side of the ball carrier. Thankfully, there was no Akashdeep today, but Jarmanpreet 'filled' in admirably ( ;) ).

Early days to judge Craig Fulton. In fact David John's decision to move Manpreet and Sumit into defence and Dilpreet in to midfield was inspired.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Lost 4-1 to Netherlands B team. Pathetic showing. Whilst all the top teams are planning for the 2024 Olympics and trying out new talent, we keep going back to the same bunch of 'experienced' players and still lose matches like this.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Same like the WTC cricket. Keep counting on the same bunch who have not delivered a thing for the last ten years or so. Staring at innings defeat there.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

India beats Argentina 3-0.....
First half was quite even. We have quite few chances but fail to convert them, especially in the first few minutes of game.
Third quarter: we scored two goals by pc. Second pc by Amit Rohidas was just insanely too good. Argentina was underpressure throughout the third quarter.
Forth quarter: India control the game nicely. Argentina had few chances but our golie Pathak was too good today. We scored third goal at last minute of the game in turn-around (when all Argentina players are high-up in the field).

Overall, it was a good game! It seemed to me that Argentina prefers to play more physical (than Netherlands).
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

One very unusual things happened today in 3rd quarter: Argentina player pushes india's in Argnetina D, to which Harmanpreet takes vedio referal. The TV umpire gives decision in India's favour and told the field umpire for PC. However, the field umpire, along with another field umpire said that they don't agree with TV umpire and refuse to give India a PC.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

It was 50-50 decision as it was very hard to tell whether the push was deliberate or not. But the field umpire refusing to follow TV umpire advice was quite astonishing to me as well as commentators.