West Indies in India

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: West Indies in India

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Dravid want to give players long go https://circleofcricket.com/category/sa ... rformances
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

If you are going to give importance to domestic, Rishi Dhawan must be in the team. His bowling average in the recently concluded VijayHazare is 23.35 with slightly higher economic rate of 6 (career 5.35 and 29.6)
Batting 76.33 avg and 127 Sr (career 39 and sr 94.6)

He was tried in the IPl and after lack of performance(or opportunities), he does not seem to be in india’s plans. He got three ODI’s , but did not show much in bowlingand had limited opportunities to bat.

I think we should play our A team resting pretty much everyone that played in the recent test series including KL Rahul. Ideally IPL ahould be cancelled and we know that will not happen.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, let's do it. Play the best team where each member has less than 30 ODIs played.
Rajkumar Sharma

Kumar wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:42 pm If you are going to give importance to domestic, Rishi Dhawan must be in the team. His bowling average in the recently concluded VijayHazare is 23.35 with slightly higher economic rate of 6 (career 5.35 and 29.6)
Batting 76.33 avg and 127 Sr (career 39 and sr 94.6)

He was tried in the IPl and after lack of performance(or opportunities), he does not seem to be in india’s plans. He got three ODI’s , but did not show much in bowlingand had limited opportunities to bat.

I think we should play our A team resting pretty much everyone that played in the recent test series including KL Rahul. Ideally IPL ahould be cancelled and we know that will not happen.
He is proven failure, failed to impress in Aus tour was brought in before Pandya. Next allrounder who has chance to get picked is Prerak Mankad bats at the top and bowl with good pace with quite aggressive body language , has done well in domestic hope he gets team in IPL. Biggest surprise was failure of Shivam Dube, he had the quality and spark but fail to impress in his national tenure.
Last edited by Rajkumar Sharma on Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rajkumar Sharma

At present india is forcefully playing off spinners, there is not a single offspinner who has shown major performance to improve. Aswin & Jayant should't get picked now.K Gowtham is also average

Dravid is one of the decision maker, not seeing any new changes for WI series as he is very much vocal in giving players a long go but he got believe that India is playing the shorter format with wrong template. Odi cricket now also requires fearless approach.
Rajkumar Sharma

Some good news broke out in media, Hardik is in the radar for selection as an allrounder, final call will be made by selectors. Bhuvi & Ashwin's selection is in doubt
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rishi Dhawan and Shivam Dube were not given proper chances. If we believe that we will have readymade allrounders at the international level, we are delusional. We have to choose carefully and give the chosen ones at least 15 matches and grow them. If they show a good trajectory, then we continue. If not, we chuck them out. The problem with my model is that we can try fewer players. But, in order to do that, we need to rest the seniors and be ready to accept some losses. And, we can perhaps try fewer players even then. So, we need to use our A-tours and have non-stop A-tours, etc. Of course, BCCI will keep bumbling along.

Hardik keeps saying he is fit, he is working out, etc. Yet, he is never played or given overs to bowl. Or else, someone should come out and say that his back cannot take it and we will ramp up his work, etc. Maybe Hardik and V. Iyer can together be counted to bowl 10 overs. Or we try Hardik and S. Iyer? The problem is that we need batters up until #8 or so. Proper hitters towards the end. If we play Hardik at #6 and #7-11 are our dodgy bowlers, then it is a very weak batting lineup prone to middle order collapses.

The last seven can be: Hardik, V. Iyer, Pant, Krunal, PK, DLC, RDC. Or else, we can replace V. Iyer with Shardul if we want to strengthen the bowling.

The first four should be: Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Rahul if we are playing a WC today. If not, I'd go with Ruturaj, Dhawan/Youngster, S. Iyer, SAY. Given this situation, why does SAY not start to bowl a la Kedar Jadhav and secure his place? I do not understand why today's batsmen do not bowl. Azhar, SRT, SCG, Viru, Yuvi, etc. all bowled. It seems we have gone backwards wrt this. Bad strategy/thinking/planning.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I still remember the hero honda tournament, when sachin bowled india to victory in the last over. That was an Amazing win. I think Rituraj Gaikwad and other youngsters need to learn and be able to bowl especially in ODI and T20. The margin for error is less in T20, but u should be able to get away with at least 1 over.

Like CSK, i don’t see why Deepak chahar and Thakur can’t play. In fact both Thakur and Chahar outplayed V iyer as batsman.

Unfortunately we need more batsman who can bowl rather than other way around especially in white ball cricket. So one Or two of the top order batsman should be able to bowl at least 5 overs among themself. Everyteam in the past IPL had a top order batsman who could bowl. May be some like Abhishek sharma should be given a shot, he has better performance in IPL compared to ODI (list A)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am not so sure. Like I did in the past, we have a lot of bowlers who in any other good team would be #11 batter. That is not sustainable. We need our batters to bowl too. But, you can escape with five good bowlers even if someone has a bad day. But, you cannot actually escape the lack of bowlers who can bat at their position.

Hardik, Pant, Krunal, DLC, Jadeja, Shardul can play at #6-#8. Of these Hardik cannot bowl, Jadeja is injured and Krunal for whatever reason (strengthening bowling) is not considered. DLC and Shardul are not played at the same time. So, we are left with nincompoops batting from #7-#11 for us. That is awful.

Ashwin can play #8-10 in ODIs not really any earlier. Mayb even #8 is a stretch for Ashwin.

Then, we do not really have any one who can be #9-#10 type batsmen. Maybe Bumrah if his improvement is sustainable.

The rest are all #11s: PK, Siraj, Chahal, etc.

Now the #11s are the wicket-takers and if you can only take one of them, then you are sort of toast.
Rajkumar Sharma

Kumar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:58 pm I still remember the hero honda tournament, when sachin bowled india to victory in the last over. That was an Amazing win. I think Rituraj Gaikwad and other youngsters need to learn and be able to bowl especially in ODI and T20. The margin for error is less in T20, but u should be able to get away with at least 1 over.

Like CSK, i don’t see why Deepak chahar and Thakur can’t play. In fact both Thakur and Chahar outplayed V iyer as batsman.

Unfortunately we need more batsman who can bowl rather than other way around especially in white ball cricket. So one Or two of the top order batsman should be able to bowl at least 5 overs among themself. Everyteam in the past IPL had a top order batsman who could bowl. May be some like Abhishek sharma should be given a shot, he has better performance in IPL compared to ODI (list A)
Shahbaaz Ahmed is far better then Abhisekh Sharma. Its surprise that he missed SA A tour despite massive performance both with bat & ball that took Bengal in Ranji final of 2019-20 season. He also have managed to make a mark whenever he represented RCB in IPL. Abhisekh has lot to proof, very much new in domestic.SRH has lost many closed matches due to poor performance in middle order.

Shahbaaz will be a perfect replacement for Jadeja
Rajkumar Sharma

Squads

T20I squad:

Rohit Sharma(Capt),KL Rahul (vc),Ishan Kishan,Virat Kohli,Shreyas Iyer,Surya Kumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wk),Venkatesh Iyer,Deepak Chahar, Shardul Thakur, Ravi Bishnoi,Axar Patel, Yuzvendra Chahal, Washington Sundar, Mohd. Siraj, Bhuvneshwar, Avesh Khan, Harshal Patel

ODI squad:

Rohit Sharma (Capt), KL Rahul (vc), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shikhar, Virat Kohli, Surya Kumar Yadav, Shreyas Iyer, Deepak Hooda, Rishabh Pant (wk), D Chahar, Shardul Thakur, Y Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Washington Sundar, Ravi Bishnoi, Mohd. Siraj, Prasidh Krishna, Avesh Khan
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Given this, my XI for the first ODI is:

Ruturaj, Dhawan/Rohit, Kohli/Rahul, Iyer, Surya, Pant, Hooda, DLC, Thakur, Bishnoi, PK

The problem is Kuldeep, Bishnoi, PK, Siraj, etc. are all batsmen who can only play at #9 or #10. So, can't have multiple of them. I'd roll the dice on DLC, Thakur, and PK holding their own on Indian soil assisted by Bishnoi and Hooda.

Rotate between the old ones. It would have been best to give Kohli a rest. He seems mentally jaded.

Completely bizarre to see Ruturaj out of the T20I squad.

For T20Is, I'd play:

Kishan, (two of) Rahul/Rohit/Kohli, SAY, Iyer, Pant, VI, DLC, Shardul, Axar, Harshal

Don't mind Bishnoi for VI. Or better still keep VI and kick the oldies out.

Is not going to happen. Not a big Sundar fan but he will most possibly play. Sundar is the spinning Bhuvi. Doesn't take wickets but can keep things tight. My philosophy is that bowlers get hit anyway. So pack it with batsmen so that we can bat deep and the top order does not have to play afraid.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Please make a choice when offering you team. No X/Y. Either X or Y.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

There is got to-be a story about Gaikwad! He seems to be so low on the pecking order. He got two T20s against srilanka where he was ordinary (17.5 avg at 125 sr). For him to be not picked for T20 screams a total disconnect.

Again Ravi Bishnoi selection in T20 is okay, but ODI is perplexing. His record in the past Vijay Hazare is pedestrian. He was the fifth best bowler in his team in terms of Average and economy.

My predicted 11 for the odi
Rohit Shikhar, Kohli, Shreyas, Rahul , Pant, Thakur, D chahar, Sundar, Siraj Y Chahal

Hooda did not even bowl for his Rajasthan team, so not sure how we can pick him as the fifth bowler.

As to T20,
Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, SKY, V Iyer, Kishen(only if they decide to rest Pant), Axar, Thakur, D chahar, R bishnoi, Harshal

My preferred line up

Odi
Gaikwad, Rohit, Kohli, Hooda, KL Rahul, Thakur, Chahar, Sundar, Avesh, Chahal
Would not mind giving kuldeep a chance but makes 9-11 very pedestrian.
T20
Rohit, Ishan Kishen, Kohli, SKY, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Axar, Thakur, D Chahar, Harshal, Bishnoi
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ha, ha. You see I put the X/Y for the oldies.

But for ODIs, I'd go with Rohit and Kohli first to see how good of a form Rohit is in. Then, I'd rotate Rohit out with Dhawan if Rohit is not doing well.

For T20Is, I'd take Rahul and Kohli. But, a major problem with my T20I team is lack of spinners. So, I'd change that to:

Kishan, Rahul, Kohli, SAY, Iyer, Pant, DLC, Axar, Harshal, Bishnoi, Avesh.

What is annoying is that Hardik tells the press he is fit and bowling fine and then tells BCCI (or BCCI makes it up) that he is unfit and cannot play as an all-rounder. For T20Is, I'd actually play Hardik maybe with cover in V. Iyer and see if he can bowl instead of waiting for the IPL, etc.