Champions Trophy Hockey, Breda,Netherlands, June 23-July 1 2018

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Champions Trophy Hockey, Breda,Netherlands, June 23-July 1 2018

Post by prasen9 »

So our hitting high balls helter skelter (or in general meaningless long hits usually resulting in mispasses) days are over? Good to hear that.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I saw the highlights of both the games. Man, this guy Dilpreet is only 17 years old? The guy must be a serious talent!
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Amazing results by India so far! Hope that they can keep this up against the more organized European and Australian teams...
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Where can these matches be watched?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

It is live on star sports 1 if you are in India. Would also be live on hotstar.com.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Belgium drew 1-1 with Argentina.

I think one draw from the remaining 3 matches should get us into 3-4th place play off. Of course playing the final would be fantastic. For that we need 3 more points and results in the other matches to go our way.

I'm hoping Pakistan can take a point or two in their remaining matches. That would be helpful.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Pakistan were their inept self and lost 0-4 to Netherlands.

At least in the highlights, 18 year old Dilpreet Singh looks like a real difference maker on offense. Hopefully, he is the catalyst to a continued strong performance here and into the next several years...
ssp

Post by ssp »

Pakistan were reasonable in Q1 and then fell away and were lucky to lose by only 4. It was a familiar story of an Asian team lacking discipline, intensity and losing all structure so that the opposition had acres of space to run into and 2-3 passing options whilst at the other end, Pakistan were tackled or pressured into mistakes by quality defenders. I have seen India do this kind of thing for several decades.

So we have 3 very tough matches coming up and I really hope we compete well till the last minute in every match.
ssp

Post by ssp »

We are 3-1 down to Australia with 9 mins left. That's a decent outcome so far... :-(
A PC to Australia, so expect the worst!
We had too many players on the pitch at one point, so Manpreet got a yellow for that!

Managed to save the 7th Oz PC and got it back to 3-2 and actually had a final minute PC that could have got us a draw, but attempt was saved.

We need some luck with results in other games and hopefully a couple of stellar performances to get us into the final.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

So, after the narrow 2-3 loss to Australia, the latter have moved to the top of the table with 7 points. Holland and India have 6 points each, but the former are slightly ahead on the goal difference. Argentina have 4 points, Belgium have 2.
All teams have two more pool games to play: for India, those pool matches will be against Belgium (tomorrow at 5pm) and Holland (30th June at 4pm, the last pool match).
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

So, drawing with Belgium will guarantee us a 3-4th place match. However, we likely will have to beat Holland to make the finals....

Are the match stats (circle penetrations, PC earned etc.) published anywhere?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Another good performance from our team ... Like the way they fought till end.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I am briefly in India and got to see the AUS match yesterday. Unlike the positive feeling around here, I was pretty damn disappointed with everything but the defense. "The same old crap" is what I was thinking, as we kept losing possession in totally dumb ways time after time. Bad trapping is still an issue, though it has improved over time. But our off-the-ball running and positioning in the midfield is as pitiful as it has always been. It was so maddeningly easy for the Aussies to make a hint of a double team on any Indian guy and there will be nobody anywhere for him to pass to. What the hell?? They only need to look at what the Aussies do to see that it is no rocket science for somebody to be in position to receive a pass all the time when somebody is moving with the ball. It is always some long pass we need to make to get out of trouble, and 3 out of 4 times an Aussie will intercept it. You don't have to all rush to the goal, looking only for long passes and scores when the ball is in the midfield with us, but that is what we do. Moving up methodically is just beyond us. Against good teams, we do need to do it though. This is not so difficult to fix over time, but I guess Harendra doesn't see it that way. Anyway, that is what we are.

But our defense is quite solid. I saw a lot of nice skills in intercepting the Aussies too. Much improved from a few years ago. Not too many sloths at the back, I suppose. We do have some talent and can match the Aussies in many departments. We could have won this match, if we could cut down on losing possession so easily, so often. In the stats I saw on TV, the circle penetrations, shots on goal and penalty corners were all fairly even, but the Aussies had some twice the amount of possession time. If we had kept possession a few more times, we could have created more chances, and certainly would have scored more and beaten them. Unfortunately, about half the time, it was unforced passing errors on our part that gave the possession away.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We are leading 1-0 against Belgium with 5 mins of Q3 to go. We dominated the first half and should have been up by 2 goals at least.

But Belgium is pressing hard in Q3 and we are somehow defending for life.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

And finally Belgium score of their 10th PC with 1 min 45 mins to go. 1-1.

And they get another one immediately. We have lost composure here. And this time thankfully Sreejesh saves it.

It ends 1-1.