General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

amr090
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Santosh trophy

Post by amr090 »

wow thats actually from some news source? the grammar and english are so horrible.
nnipp

Santosh trophy

Post by nnipp »

The article is most probably East Bengal's anti-Constantine propaganda. I don't think Constantine would say that stuff and if he did it would be in a real newspaper. Stephen has the right to be mad though as he hasn't been payed properly in 6 months according to an article I read!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Santosh trophy

Post by jayakris »

Man, I would not have thought that East Bengal and the likes of PK Banerji would stoop this low. I had seen an article by PK Banerji (one who I thought was somebody who had a clue or two) in the Telegraph last week about Constantine. But the kind of things the EB site has, is unbelievable.

Now, we know why our national team is as pathetic as it is.

That these guys have the cheek to talk about knowing more football (and having more "education" than Constantine!) is just simply ridiculous.

Jay
Chris_indianfootball.com
Moderators
Moderators

59th Santosh Trophy

Post by Chris_indianfootball.com »

KERALA CLINCHES THE 59th SANTOSH TROPHY 2004!

more details and pictures at IndianFootball.Com

Regards,
Chris.
murlikt

Santosh trophy

Post by murlikt »

Well done Kerala also Punjab they impressed everyone. jayakris will be happy

I hope K Abdul Nashaud from Kerala should be called he scored most in the tournament and also Singh Atwal scored may times. I hope Constantine will maybe bring some Punjab defenders for camp because from reading they are tall and good in the air and also Harish Sharma should be called he was always making news. Since the camp is in Delhi Constantine should just call them man at least try them even our national strikers couldnt score. Also there were many good keepers in the tournament.
PKBasu

Santosh trophy

Post by PKBasu »

Congratulations to Kerala on winning the Santosh Trophy (Jay will be justifiably thrilled too). Here's the rediff article on the final:
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2004/oct/31sant.htm

On the matter of Constantine vs. East Bengal, I think both sides are wrong to air things in public like this. (As a long-suffering Mohun Bagan fan, it's difficult for me to give too much credit to East Bengal :) ). But I think Constantine's attitude is really quite pathetic. He spent much of his time in Singapore blowing his own trumpet (clearly looking for a job, given the remarks he was making) while publicly excoriating Indian football administration in the press here (his criticisms aren't off the mark, but they are disgracefull and inappropriate coming from the national coach who is accompanying the national team to a foreign country). I don't have much sympathy for him, especially as he spent the first 70 minutes of the Singapore match seated on the sidelines (largely a mute spectator) in his white shirt, tie and navy-blue trousers (totally inappropriate attire for sultry Singapore, apart from suggesting the wrong attitude).
PKBasu

Santosh trophy

Post by PKBasu »

Here's a list of Santosh Trophy finalists through history:
http://www.indianfootball.com/data/santosh.html

Note Kerala's dominance in recent years: finalist in each of the past four years, and two titles.
It is possible that many players aren't released for the national championship -- thereby depleting some state sides -- but that doesn't detract from Kerala's dominant performance in recent times.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Santosh trophy

Post by amr090 »

like we've discussed about before theres plenty of talent on all these state teams. i would be surprised if among those players at least one isn't world class, possibly more. whats the harm in inviting some of these guys to the camps? especially the guys who scored a bunch of goals and some big defenders. that's usually how it's done in the U.S. players who del well in tournaments prior to the camp are called in. lets hope this happens in the next camp as i read the coach said he will consider some of these guys in the next camp.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Santosh trophy

Post by jayakris »

Yessir! ... "God's Own Football Team" did it!!!!

Jay
nnipp

Santosh trophy

Post by nnipp »

The national team organizers can learn a thing or two from the Santosh Trophy. Its no mistake that the tallest and physically strongest teams made it to the final. Manipur and Services were also very fit teams came close to the final. Guys like Harpreet Singh. Gurjit Singh Atwal, and Abdul Naushad definitely deserve tryouts in the next national camp.
Red_Indian

Santosh trophy

Post by Red_Indian »

PKBasu wrote:especially as he spent the first 70 minutes of the Singapore match seated on the sidelines (largely a mute spectator) in his white shirt, tie and navy-blue trousers (totally inappropriate attire for sultry Singapore, apart from suggesting the wrong attitude).
PKB I'm not sure what point you're trying to make complaining about his attire!
murlikt

Santosh trophy

Post by murlikt »

Here is a nice story of the final match with interviews:

http://www.hindu.com/2004/11/01/stories ... 402100.htm

Looks like Harish Sharma and Abdul Basheer, they are good tall defenders India needs them. Otherwise other attacking players are there also.

It will be great if there is a match between the India national team and the Best players from the Santosh trophy like a allstar game. This would be very interesting something like a India A team. what do you think?
amr090
Authors
Authors

Santosh trophy

Post by amr090 »

thats actually a great idea. problem with that is no one in india really takes the responsibility to organize anything.
nnipp

Post by nnipp »

There already is a plan to put together an under-23 India A team that includes some of the eligible Santosh Trophy standouts.
murlikt

Santosh trophy

Post by murlikt »

I hope this plan happens but isnt there already a u-23 team? like the team that played in the LG cup in Vietnam.

You know, i think Constantine has done good things for Indian football, but now he seems to be doing very funny things. One hand there is so many injured players with the India team he is taking 17 players to Kuwait when the minimum required is 18! And still he is not taking any Santosh cup players i don't understand? Since this game is a friendly and the Oman qualifier is useless why not try new players? Dont forget none of the current India team played for Punjab or Kerala, and India havent scored one goal in like 4 matches and still he is using Yadav and Biswas as strikers.

Maybe Constantine is being stubborn with the AIFF but still he is coach of India and he has to put the best players we have otherwise this nation will not have any respect from other countries. See this news:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 908550.cms