Davis Cup 2018 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Davis Cup 2018 - India

Post by PKBasu »

Given the relatively weak Serbian team, I think we have a reasonable chance to win. We need to be clear about the doubles pair. If Divij had been available, he would have been perfect (having just won the Asiad gold). Otherwise, I don't see why we aren't using Leander, Purav or Jeevan, who are all ranked above Balaji and Vishnu (and the latter I think is still ranked above Balaji).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

This is Mahesh's explanation for selecting Balaji ahead of Jeevan and Purav-

Davis Cup: Mahesh Bhupathi defends Balaji selection ahead of Jeevan, Purav

Really does not appear too much logic in what he is saying. I guess Saketh too is in the mix still and it will be between him and Balaji to play doubles along side Rohan.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I hope MB's assessment that this "combo" is the best is true. While Divij and Rohan would be my first choice, the problem is that the rest of the youngsters have been disappointing in doubles. Investing in youth is good but these guys are not really that young either. So, I may have given LP one last game telling the so-called "youngsters" to put up some achievements by virtue of which they can force themselves into the team to kick LP out as Divij has done. Entitling someone you like via nepotism is not a way to build a professional, efficient system. I hope that I am wrong and MB's assessment is correct.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Indian Chances seems to have have brightened up with Filip Kranjnivic withdrawal , the player who could have won both his singles

Ram the # 1 will now play their # 2 , Lasio Dere who lost to Tommy Paul few weeks back and over whom (Tommy Paul) Ram has couple of wins and Prajnesh would play Dusan Lajovic where again Ram has beaten him in the past

Wont be surprised if we are 2 Nil up on the opening day and all of a sudden the tables have turned against a depleted Serbian squad and who knows Rohan and Balaji can finish the job emphatically

Fingers crossed for World Group entry
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Despite their depletion, both Dusan and Laslo are top-100 players and playing at home. I'll be glad if our #1 can upset their #2
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Fully agree with Rohit. We are still the underdogs in both matches, so one win would be a good performance. On current form, Prajnesh has at least as much chance as RamK to pull out a win on clay...
Florian Buechting

Post by Florian Buechting »

Hi,
I agree. Feel it would be nice not to have the tie decided on Saturday evening already. 2:1 for Serbia would be fine, 2:1 for our guys would be great. Just had a quick view - they did not seem to have sold too many tickets so far.

Here is a more elaborate version of why I feel we are qualified for the February qualification round anyway:
https://flyctory.com/2018/09/11/davis-c ... than-ever/

Will try to post some impressions of Kraljevo and the arena and the draw Thursday night latest on my website and potentially on ITD - and then a more intensive coverage with the guys down there from Friday (likely: better reports on ITD, more pics on Flyctory :) ).

Keep your fingers crossed for the Indians :)

Florian
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Florian Buechting wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:05 pm . Just had a quick view - they did not seem to have sold too many tickets so far.
This inspite of having priced the tickets at a very low price. USD 5 each for Day 1 & 3.
USD 3 for Day 2
Florian Buechting

Rajiv wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:33 pm
Florian Buechting wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:05 pm . Just had a quick view - they did not seem to have sold too many tickets so far.
This inspite of having priced the tickets at a very low price. USD 5 each for Day 1 & 3.
USD 3 for Day 2
Yeah, but their Top 2 are out, India might not be the that-attractive opponent (otherwise, I guess, they would have played Belgrade or Novi Sad anyway...) and you need to see that the level of prices is amazing. I pay some 50 USD per night in a very well rated hotel (and even went for a fancy room...) and I assume that three-course dinner prices will not exceed 15 to 20 USD, so the level of pricing is very enjoyable ;)

Having said that, Edmonton last year was some 300 CAD for a weekend ticket... Much better now ;)
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Write up on the tie in the Serbian press. It is in Serbian , but can translate to English.
The Serbian captain is guarded in his optimism , and the key factor he feels that the Matches being played on Clay ,than any other surface is the most favourable aspect to the home team.

https://sport.blic.rs/tenis/njih-dvojic ... is/mf40ptn
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Day 1: 1400 hrs local (1200 hrs GMT)
RUBBER 1 - Laslo DJERE(86) vs Ramkumar RAMANATHAN(135)
RUBBER 2 - Dusan LAJOVIC(56) vs Prajnesh GUNNESWARAN(162)

Day 2: 1500 hrs local (1300 hrs GMT)
RUBBER 3 - Nikola MILOJEVIC(345)/Danilo PETROVIC(228) vs N.Sriram BALAJI(110)/Rohan BOPANNA(30)

Day 3: 1300 hrs local (1100 hrs GMT)
RUBBER 4 - Dusan LAJOVIC(56) vs Ramkumar RAMANATHAN(135)
RUBBER 5 - Laslo DJERE(86) vs Prajnesh GUNNESWARAN(162)
Florian Buechting

Sorry, took some time for sightseeing after the draw today - but here are some pictures, including a gallery:

https://flyctory.com/2018/09/13/davis-c ... a-preview/
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Great stuff, Florian. What will we do without you? ... Hironmoyee Chatterjee was late and they had to delay the press conference? What was he doing? Sitting in his room and finding the strategy to beat Serbia?... Yikes!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

No, he was being Bengali. See Sourav Ganguly. Guy was also just being Bengali and was late to the toss against Steve Waugh, and the media thought it was a great psychological ploy and he became famous for that :-) Kind of like discovering penicillin.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I kinda know what you are talking about. Somehow I had never been to Kolkata before, and finally was there for a day this past week. Amazing city, but everybody seemed slow and late in everything. But then again, I was in Assam and Meghalaya before that (an IIT Guwahati visit -- by the way, the most beautiful campus in all of India!) ... and Bengalis looked like rocket men compared to the laid-back people in those areas!