Australian Open 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Australian Open 2018

Post by PKBasu »

The story of Tennys Sandgren, the classic Challenger-level journeyman, making it to the last-16 at the AO (having never before qualified), has to be an inspirational one for the likes of Yuki and RamK. He is still ahead against Thiem as I write. (So RamK isn’t the only Challenger player capable of scaring Thiem on a non-clay court :) ).

Sadly, despite his perfect first name, Sandgren turns out to be one of the biggest bigots among American players — a fan of white supremacist websites like Breitbart and the views they spout. (Apparently John Isner isn’t far behind). What’s worse is that he is of white South African descent (from his mother), so racism is deeply embedded in his legacy.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am
Sadly, despite his perfect first name, Sandgren turns out to be one of the biggest bigots among American players — a fan of white supremacist websites like Breitbart and the views they spout. (Apparently John Isner isn’t far behind). What’s worse is that he is of white South African descent (from his mother), so racism is deeply embedded in his legacy.
Yes I remember , few years ago Isner was playing Monfils and made a big issue and wan't pleased about crowd support for Monfils
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

RamK isn’t the only Challenger-level player capable of beating Thiem on a non-clay court...! Sandgren has ousted Thiem in five sets (having beaten Wawrinka in straight sets in R2).
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am The story of Tennys Sandgren, the classic Challenger-level journeyman, making it to the last-16 at the AO (having never before qualified), has to be an inspirational one for the likes of Yuki and RamK. He is still ahead against Thiem as I write.
Perhaps PKB is the ideal person for this answer.
Thiem is an Vietnamese name , but Dominic hardly looks a bit of a Asian and complete European in his looks, or is the name Thiem prevalent amongst Germans as well.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

sportsfan wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 pm
:clap: :clap: :clap:

As the news of doubles maestro playing on show-court #2 at the Aus Open grounds got around, it got packed within no time and soon it was standing room only. Lee the master feeding off the love and adulation from his admirers, rose to the occasion ably supported by his apprentice. The Master and his Apprentice totally regaled the lucky audience with a masterful display of artistry and finesse. The victory was a bonus.
haha but not true.

Saturday was ridiculously busy and both the outside show courts were continuously standing only for every match. I think this year's AO is well on target to set new attendance records.

Anyways one pic of Lee and his apprentice from Saturday

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Djokovic down 2 sets to love against the NextGen sensation Hyeon Chung!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rajiv, Thiem is a German surname too, so Dominic is probably simply part of a pretty large German/Austrian clan. I don’t think he gets his surname from any Vietnamese link...
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Fantastic Chung.

Loved his post-match interview with Courier.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am The story of Tennys Sandgren, the classic Challenger-level journeyman, making it to the last-16 at the AO (having never before qualified), has to be an inspirational one for the likes of Yuki and RamK. He is still ahead against Thiem as I write. (So RamK isn’t the only Challenger player capable of scaring Thiem on a non-clay court :) ).

Sandgren beats Thiem and now faces the conqueror of Djokovic, Hyeong Chung. That should be a very interesting match.

Sad to hear about Sandgren's views. In another setting, in the past, I have endured racial epithets from all kinds of Australians, South Africans, and yes Americans and they especially dont like being beaten by brown-skinned coolies - all a part of the mental conditioning that professional tennis players have to overcome to win. These kinds of exchanges were quite routine in the old days especially during changeovers - McEnroe and Connors were adept at trying to get into your mind and psyche you out. Ramesh has faced this too but would simply shrug it off and keep playing, many times returning better than before the psyche-out exchanges.

India the former coolie nation is becoming aware that we are not coolies anymore. THat should wake up the white country club types. : :D
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

The day I landed in Pune for the Maharashtra Open and headed to the stadium, I saw Tennis Sandgren practising with Yuki on the centre court. Yuki was comfortably overpowering Sandgren in the rallies. Astonishing how much difference a decent first serve makes in the men's game today!
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

vatsal323 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 pm The day I landed in Pune for the Maharashtra Open and headed to the stadium, I saw Tennis Sandgren practising with Yuki on the centre court. Yuki was comfortably overpowering Sandgren in the rallies. Astonishing how much difference a decent first serve makes in the men's game today!
To me Yuki is a much more complete player in terms of groundstrokes, footwork/court movement, speed, transitioning to net, serve returns, etc. than a lot of top 100 players out there. As someone said here, he looks emotionally too cold on the court. He needs to show more belief and positive energy on court.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

sportsfan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:01 pm
vatsal323 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 pm The day I landed in Pune for the Maharashtra Open and headed to the stadium, I saw Tennis Sandgren practising with Yuki on the centre court. Yuki was comfortably overpowering Sandgren in the rallies. Astonishing how much difference a decent first serve makes in the men's game today!
To me Yuki is a much more complete player in terms of groundstrokes, footwork/court movement, speed, transitioning to net, serve returns, etc. than a lot of top 100 players out there. As someone said here, he looks emotionally too cold on the court. He needs to show more belief and positive energy on court.
Agreed - and he must find a way to improve his serving this year - one way or another developing an explosive first serve, and aggressive second is critical for anyone in the top 100.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

knarayen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm
PKBasu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am ...

Sad to hear about Sandgren's views. In another setting, in the past, I have endured racial epithets from all kinds of Australians, South Africans, and yes Americans and they especially dont like being beaten by brown-skinned coolies - all a part of the mental conditioning that professional tennis players have to overcome to win. These kinds of exchanges were quite routine in the old days especially during changeovers - McEnroe and Connors were adept at trying to get into your mind and psyche you out. Ramesh has faced this too but would simply shrug it off and keep playing, many times returning better than before the psyche-out exchanges.

India the former coolie nation is becoming aware that we are not coolies anymore. THat should wake up the white country club types. : :D
Tennys Sandgren not only has a perfect tennis name, he's also from Tennessee. Which explains his views. Do you know why there are so many unsolved murders in Tennessee? Because they all have the same DNA .... and they have no dental records. Enough said! :p

As for John Isner, apparently he puts his University degree on his dashboard.... so he can park in handicapped parking! Ouch! Was that a low blow? Then again, with Isner they're all low blows!

They're both good ol' Southern boys! They can't help their brain cells! Or their Sun-burnt necks - even when they're not playing in the Aussie summer! They're not to be taken seriously for their viewpoints on the human condition. As tennis players, they're pretty darn good.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

knarayen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:05 pm Agreed - and he must find a way to improve his serving this year - one way or another developing an explosive first serve, and aggressive second is critical for anyone in the top 100.
Exactly, but he himself admitted that he doesn't have any plans to work on his serve.... There wasn't any work on his serve even in the off-season... :damn:
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

Guys, a lot being written about Sandgreen and Isner.

I am not sure about Sandgreen but I can ensure you Isner is totally opposite of what is being explained above. I work at private aviation and meet him all the time and know him wel. The guy is nicest dude you will meet, not as friendly to all like his friend Sam Querrey but still pretty damn good person.

Also on that note, not all southern people are racist guys. Not everyone from Tennesee is like that either since I have spent time ther eand I can tell you many people are just absolutely fantastic and open, especially towards Indians. I have to mention this since there is this souther family who ensured they always make veggie burgers for me when I visit to meet their son knowing I am vegetarian. Southerners from the past might be racist just like some of us Indians are too back home with our class system, but not all are the same.

Also Isner talking about the crowd not supporting him but Monfils is his frustration for not being able to win the home crowd. That doesn’t mean he is being racist or whatever one meant above.

Sorry, I had to log in and post since I have known Isner since his college days when he used to come visit to play in Leg Mason/Citi and the guy has been very friendly.