Rio Summer Olympics \ Summer Paralympics 2016

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ayush1234567
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Rio Summer Olympics 2016

Post by Ayush1234567 »

Alternative Method to Compare India's Performance:
The total points can be calculated and compared and we can make some changes to use it as our official comparing systems for comparing between Commonwealth-Commonwealth, Asian-Asian, Olympics-Olympic

Gold-100
Silver-90
Bronze-80
4th-70
5th to 8th-55
9th to 16 -40
17th to 32nd - 20
32-64 - 5
Above 64- No points
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

So, what will be our points for these Olympics and last ? :D

Btw, I looked at the womens weightlifting results and the event seems to be totally dominated by Asians. Asians have picked up 17 of 21 medals here and swept all 7 gold medals. China is of course quite good from the beginning. But apart from that Thailand, Chinese Taipei,Indonesia, North Korea and Philippines have picked medals here - some of them even gold. I think at one stage few years back we were clear #2 or #3 in Asia in this.

Why have we fallen so badly ? Can we get something back from here ( of course without the help of spinach). :D
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfy63JgujUo

OP Jaisha FAINTS in Rio Marathon As Indian Officials Went Missing: The Newshour Debate
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

jayakris wrote:
Atithee wrote:Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/rio-20 ... 817326.cms
Thanks for posting that, atithee. I'm traveling and couldn't post for a while today. Some journalists who observed the situation also seem to dispute Jaisha's account. I believe G.Rajaraman etc were tweeting on it.

I no longer believe all the things our athletes say. They are often as much to blame as our officials for the mess they and their coaches make.
I would still give the benefit of doubt to our athletes. Based on the article, I thought that Jaisha refised personalized drinks. But she didn't refuse water. In any case, someone should have been there manning those stations whether Jaisha wanted any help or not. As officials of the athletics federation, they should do everything possible to make their athletes feel comfortable (and maximize the chances of getting a medal). What else are they there for?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Visiting Cristoforo Redentor?
Mugundan

Post by Mugundan »

gbelday wrote:
jayakris wrote:
Atithee wrote:Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/rio-20 ... 817326.cms
Thanks for posting that, atithee. I'm traveling and couldn't post for a while today. Some journalists who observed the situation also seem to dispute Jaisha's account. I believe G.Rajaraman etc were tweeting on it.

I no longer believe all the things our athletes say. They are often as much to blame as our officials for the mess they and their coaches make.
I would still give the benefit of doubt to our athletes. Based on the article, I thought that Jaisha refised personalized drinks. But she didn't refuse water. In any case, someone should have been there manning those stations whether Jaisha wanted any help or not. As officials of the athletics federation, they should do everything possible to make their athletes feel comfortable (and maximize the chances of getting a medal). What else are they there for?
Was water available on the route is the basic question. It seems (and it is logical too for an Olympics) that there was. At what intervals were water stations placed? That is another crucial question and one most relevant to Jaisha's complaint (she said it was available only at eight kilometre intervals). The OC would have gone by the rule book and placed water stations at 2.5km or nearby. The fact that there has been no complaint by anyone else suggests that such water stations were available. The other Indian runner, Kavita Raut did not have complaints about water. May be there was some inadequacy or may be Jaisha missed one or two water stations in the first 10km.
Was the temperature 42 degrees celsius as had been made out by a TV channel? It was around 26-28 when the race finished according to news reports. I guess Rio does not cross 30 during these months or doesn't have an average of 35-plus throughout the year.
Thanks to the outcry public (especially TV viewers) is convinced that Jaisha couldn't get water through 42km in 42 degrees heat!! It is also convinced that Indian officials were shopping during that time (what is there to shop in Rio?).
The whole controversy could have been avoided had officials made available some drinks at the country's station irrespective of Jaisha's request. This is of course being wiser after the event. In future this is what they should do.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I'm convinced that all the drama is a subterfuge for something. Maybe she was afraid of being tested and get caught or something and pulled off this fainting scenario. I'm sorry; anything is possible with these foreign coaches. He did create quite a scene and had to be detained by the police for half a day per reports.

And, I still don't know why a marathon runner needs a coach. Could our runners (Suresh, Ajay, prasanthm?) help me understand the role of a coach for a marathon runner? Thanks.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

it doesn't matter whether there is something to shop in Rio or not. I am certain there will be "i love rio" t shirts available. Thats enough for indians to shop.

Any way point noted Mugundan. There was something fishy about the complaint. Lets see what the 2 member committe finds out.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Mugu, based in the article link I posted, I think it's not that straightforward to just supply drinks. I think the article stated that drinks have to be sealed and submitted the night before or something similar. You can't just put out drinks for your athletes. If Jaisha didn't want her drinks, Indian camp couldn't just supply them regardless. But, I may be wrong.
yssriram

Post by yssriram »

Sumant Raman in FB:

Fact vs Media Reporting on the O P Jaisha issue.
Media: Indian athlete O.P.Jaisha was not even given water by Indian officials and made to run a full marathon in 42 degrees heat.
Fact: Plenty of water was available to O.P.Jaisha. It is NOT the responsibility of the Indian officials to provide water. It is the responsibility of the organizers of the Rio games and they did it to perfection. It is the responsibility of the Indian officials to provide any personalized refreshments that the athlete may want- eg. energy drinks,snacks etc. In this case the AFI officials say that they asked both Jaisha and the other Indian participant in the marathon Kavita Raut if they wanted any personalized refreshments. Both apparently declined. Kavita has confirmed that she was asked and that she declined. In Jaisha's case AFI says they asked her coach and were told that she did not want any personalized refreshments.So the officials did not organize for anything and the desks provided to India for this purpose were empty.
AFI officials asked the Indians who competed in the Men's marathon and the 20 Km Walk the same question and when they asked for personalized refreshments the officials provided them the same. Media never highlighted either Kavita Raut's statement or the fact that the male marathoners were provided the refreshments they had asked for.
The temperature in Rio on the day of the Women's marathon never crossed 30 degrees Celsius. This can be verified with the records of the Met Department available online. So Jaisha running in 42 degrees heat is again not a valid statement.
Media: Even if she did not ask why could the officials not have provided the refreshments?
Fact: What an athlete takes in during a race like a marathon is strictly conditioned and decided by the coach and the athlete. Any deviation from the decided regimen can affect the performance of the athlete. So the AFI can only go by what the athlete or the Coach ask for.
The AFI is as bad as most other sports Organizations in India and hardly deserves defending. But in this case the facts have been completely distorted to create a story. Why Jaisha is saying all this is unclear and the inquiry ordered will hopefully establish that as well.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Mugundan wrote:Was the temperature 42 degrees celsius as had been made out by a TV channel? It was around 26-28 when the race finished according to news reports. I guess Rio does not cross 30 during these months or doesn't have an average of 35-plus throughout the year.
Thanks to the outcry public (especially TV viewers) is convinced that Jaisha couldn't get water through 42km in 42 degrees heat!!
It started around 24 degrees and went up to 25.5 degrees by 12 noon when the race was finishing, as per weather.com reports and daily temperature graph I checked for Aug 14th Sunday. As per accuweather, it could have been up to 29 degrees at most (depending on where it was measured, I suppose). This was actually about 3-4 degrees more than the average for the day though, but nowhere near the fainting heat what the Indian press/media were reporting. Don't they have research interns or anybody who can do basic facts research at all? It's so easy to do on the internet these days. When will our press/media improve? The biggest impediment in our country's development is our worthless press, which is the worst in the world for any country of substance, as I have insisted for years.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I also went back and checked the temperature shown on NBC's coverage (the whole video is at http://stream.nbcolympics.com/track-and ... n-marathon - not sure if it's accessible for everybody). The video starts showing the temperature of 19 degrees, and the announcers kept talking about how good the conditions were, compared to many other marathons in oppressive heat.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Lets just close this Rio thread, the sooner the better to forget the debacle :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 824969.cms
Kavita says Jaisha and coach did not attend the assemblies
"AFI provided all facilities, have no complaint against them. I can only speak for myself, I was offered energy drinks, etc., by the officials before the marathon but I had refused. OPJaisha and her coach didn't join the Assemblies so maybe that's why they didn't know about keeping a personal water bottle (at the designated station)," Raut said.
This is all quite curious. What's going on here?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

It seems possible that Jaisha and coach were not on the same page and it may have been his paranoia (as per Jaisha) that made him refuse personalized drinks. Well, Jaisha, did you have to jump the gun and blame Indian officials, and get BBC to write about India not providing water to our athletes? Jeez...
Whose fault is it, anyway? OP Jaisha and the Athletics Federation of India now both blame the coach