Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:59 am ^^^ I don't know if this is the case, but I agree that it makes the most sense, and probably that is the only guess that makes any sense. He perhaps wants to see if whatever discomfort he felt heals fully, then try hitting with some good players at the Nensel Academy, get some good massages and all that, see if the problem shows signs of returning, talk to the doctor who did his surgery to see what he thinks, do some MRI or whatever needed, etc, and then return to tournament play. It might all be uncertain, and maybe there is no serious issue at all, and so he does not want to tell people and create a hoopla that he is down injured, which is not what he feels. That is probably the scneario that we are under right now.

Again, these are all guesses, so we should just wait, wish him well and look for when he return to court. Hopefully as early as the week after next, at the Rome qualies.
I know we should all wait but time does not go fast forward. In the meantime, we kill time conjuring up what may be the case. I used the term "niggle" and you used the term "discomfort". The only other explanation is a mental fatigue but the signs are not there that he may be mentally exhausted. Some people are very good at not showing things though.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

A nice interview by Nikhil Naz that just came up a few hours ago. I loved it. It seems to be from this week, after he decided to skip the next couple of weeks. He did not say he was going to Germany, but he was still waiting for the passport to come from the UK embassy/HC but said "maybe Rome; maybe end of Rome week". So maybe the passport was also an issue, or even the main issue, why he chose to skip this coming week. The thing that I noticed is that he looked quite relaxed and not too concerned about any issues. I was looking for subtle hints in his expressions; No. Nothing. I am going to take this as more of a passport issue than anything else. Skipping the week after Monte Carlo was quite probably due to a worry about too much playing and maybe some physical discomfort he felt. Then he chose to go to India and get the UK visa in the break-week, as it was something he needed to do to be able to go to Wimbledon... but it has taken 3+ weeks to get it done and and he was still waiting for the passport this week! Now what to do next week? He skipped Cagliari. Well, then he decided, okay, let us go to Germany for a few days and then to Rome. There is probably nothing else to see here, except lost time and money due to a UK visa issue! Back to the interview....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xuSolK8rAI

Do not miss the question at minute 6:30 in the video and the answer. I broke out laughing!!

Sumit is so articulate and answers the questions quite thoughtfully too. Quite charismatic.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

I hadn't realized that visas is a big headache for players zipping across continents. There needs to be a better way to do this for sportspeople especially tennis who have to travel a lot.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 pm A nice interview by Nikhil Naz that just came up a few hours ago. I loved it. It seems to be from this week, after he decided to skip the next couple of weeks. He did not say he was going to Germany, but he was still waiting for the passport to come from the UK embassy/HC but said "maybe Rome; maybe end of Rome week". So maybe the passport was also an issue, or even the main issue, why he chose to skip this coming week.
Thanks for that link. When he said "maybe Rome; maybe end of Rome week" he does say depending on how the body is feeling. So, maybe there is some physical issue although it may be not that serious. In this interview, Nikhil Naz said that he reached a rank of 80 this week, so maybe it was taken last week ( Sumit is down to 82 this week). Interview by Prajwal Hegde appears to be taken this week where it looks like he has got his passport back and he has made definitive plans of going to Europe and mostly taking next 2-3 weeks off and return only a week before French open.

So, maybe he is not yet confident of getting back to big tournaments and needs to test out his body during training to see if whatever issue was there has disappeared.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Smitten by Yukitis? :-(
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:49 pm Smitten by Yukitis? :-(
Hope not!
vparam

Post by vparam »

Sumit withdrew from Rome. Must be really injured to skip this many tournaments in a row! Hope he recovers quickly.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sumit had posted a twitter clip of him practicing yesterday at the Nensel Academy (near Hanover, Germany), right around when his name was take out of Rome. He looks fine, but I am sure there was at least a worry that something might crop up, that prevented him from playing these 4-5 weeks. He has not withdrawn from the big Challenger 175 at Bordeaux next week. Then he is in the list for the Lyon ATP the week before FO.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Where does Sumit live as his main residence? So let's say he completes a tournament, where does he fly to? Or does he just stay in hotels all the time?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

No idea but I would guess his main home base is somewhere in India with his family.

At the ATP level, he gets hospitality for 5 days (at a minimum), so likely goes from one hotel to another if he is playing in successive weeks. When he is at the academy, I wonder if the academy facilitates staying at people's homes (sort of like an academy AirBNB) since a lot of their students likely can't afford hotel stays for the entire time that they may be training. Just my guess, I have no idea what his actual arrangement is.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

It's been a while.
Looking forward to some Sumit tennis. :frown:
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

It's Saturday and Sumit has not dropped out yet. :rofl:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sumit posted this today

Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Sumit plays 130 ranked Harold Mayot tomorrow. Should be a win.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sanjay wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:46 pm Sumit plays 130 ranked Harold Mayot tomorrow. Should be a win.
Can never say something like that for a guy coming back from a 5 week break and possibly some injury concern too (though never confirmed). The 22-year old Mayot is very talented. World #1 junior four years ago. There is a high chance for Sumit to lose this match.

EDIT: Also, there are only qualifying matches on the schedule for Monday at the Bordeaux challenger-175. Sumit's match will be on Tuesday or Wednesday.