Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by Omkara »

Sanjay wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:50 pm
prasen9 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:54 am Sorry, I think the place used to be spelled Marrakech or Marrakesh in English - the latter perhaps more phonetic and less ambitious. Since when did the "t" come in? I thought Jay's was a typo but then Sanjay also used that ...
You are right, I probably just copied it from a post above... :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrakesh

Anyway, Sumit is playing Moutet. Rank 107.
Blame the brits :D . Thiruvithamkoor or Travancore.... Kozhikode or Calicut... In case Marrakesh should we blame the French?
Anirban

Post by Anirban »

Hi All, Just wanted to understand Sumit's chances of qualifying for Paris Olympics (Singles)... As I can see 10th June is the cut-off date & with the upcoming Clay season (His prefered surface) he is in with a shot I believe particularly when we take the 4 players per NOC rule... As per my understanding, as on date, a back of the hand calculation puts the cut-off at around WR#80 (Around 725/730 points) - Only considering top-56 direct entries from latest ATP rankings (Draw of 64 = 56+4+4). If somebody knowledgable can kindly elaborate on this further... Thanks!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

:Offtopic: Anirban, you posted after 17 years in this forum? That’s some restraint in an addictive forum like this for us passionate members.
Anirban

Post by Anirban »

Atithee wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:44 pm :Offtopic: Anirban, you posted after 17 years in this forum? That’s some restraint in an addictive forum like this for us passionate members.
I've been a 'silent' follower of this Forum for quite a while now... Had forgotten my login credentials & took all of 17 years to retrieve it :D :D :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Anirban? ANIRBAN??? Whoa... Where have you been, man??
Anirban

Post by Anirban »

jayakris wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:25 pm Anirban? ANIRBAN??? Whoa... Where have you been, man??
Jay Sir, main yahan, main yahannn :D
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Welcome back Anirban. Hope your next post is not after 17 more years. Don't know if I will be alive then. :-)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Anirban wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:18 pm Hi All, Just wanted to understand Sumit's chances of qualifying for Paris Olympics (Singles)... As I can see 10th June is the cut-off date & with the upcoming Clay season (His prefered surface) he is in with a shot I believe particularly when we take the 4 players per NOC rule... As per my understanding, as on date, a back of the hand calculation puts the cut-off at around WR#80 (Around 725/730 points) - Only considering top-56 direct entries from latest ATP rankings (Draw of 64 = 56+4+4). If somebody knowledgable can kindly elaborate on this further... Thanks!
Welcome back, Anirban.

Usually the cut falls lower than 80 which you mentioned. In the last 2 Olympics, the cut has fallen to around 100 or even lower in case of Tokyo.

This year too there is a competing ATP 500 tournament in Washington on Hard courts, that will be played during the Olympics. Olympics will be played on clay courts at Roland Garros. So, some of the players who are not good on clay may just prefer Washington over Olympics.

So, Sumit might even make it with his current ranking and should certainly make it in if he makes it close to top 80 by cut-off date.
Anirban

Post by Anirban »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:46 pm Welcome back Anirban. Hope your next post is not after 17 more years. Don't know if I will be alive then. :-)
Ki bolchhen Sir, aapni nishchoyi shustho bhabey thakben (What are you saying Prasenjit Sir!!! You'll definitely & healthily be there) :D However, it has no correlation with time gap of my next post :D
Anirban

Post by Anirban »

sameerph wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:03 pm
Anirban wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:18 pm Hi All, Just wanted to understand Sumit's chances of qualifying for Paris Olympics (Singles)... As I can see 10th June is the cut-off date & with the upcoming Clay season (His prefered surface) he is in with a shot I believe particularly when we take the 4 players per NOC rule... As per my understanding, as on date, a back of the hand calculation puts the cut-off at around WR#80 (Around 725/730 points) - Only considering top-56 direct entries from latest ATP rankings (Draw of 64 = 56+4+4). If somebody knowledgable can kindly elaborate on this further... Thanks!
Welcome back, Anirban.

Usually the cut falls lower than 80 which you mentioned. In the last 2 Olympics, the cut has fallen to around 100 or even lower in case of Tokyo.

This year too there is a competing ATP 500 tournament in Washington on Hard courts, that will be played during the Olympics. Olympics will be played on clay courts at Roland Garros. So, some of the players who are not good on clay may just prefer Washington over Olympics.

So, Sumit might even make it with his current ranking and should certainly make it in if he makes it close to top 80 by cut-off date.
Thanks Sameer Sir, much appreciated!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

As per details in the tournament thread, Sumit won a round in his first tournament on clay this year in Marrakech and lost in a close match in second round against 4th seed.

He is 8 out from qualies draw at Monte Carlo ATP 1000 next week. I doubt if we will see that many withdrawals in a couple of days. He could have entered Madrid Challenger 100 but did not. So, I guess if he does not make it to Monte Carlo qualies, he will skip that week to train.

The week after that he is 6 out from main draw at Bucharest ATP 250 and 8 out from Munich ATP 250 and in the qualies draw at Munich. So, his preference that week is for Munich but I guess if he gets in Bucharest he may go there as he did this week.

The week after he is that Madrid ATP 1000 qualies.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

sameerph wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:13 am He is 8 out from qualies draw at Monte Carlo ATP 1000 next week. I doubt if we will see that many withdrawals in a couple of days. He could have entered Madrid Challenger 100 but did not. So, I guess if he does not make it to Monte Carlo qualies, he will skip that week to train.
Now he is 1 out of the qualies for Monte Carlo!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

As Sameer was checking and reporting on whatsapp, Sumit should be in now, as Carballes-Baena just won his QF at Marrakech, which means he won't be able to get to the qualies at Monte Carlo by tomorrow. As per Sameer, there are also 4 other guys (Sonego, Novone, Kotov and Pedro-Martinez) in the Monte Carlo qualifying list who are playing ATP QFs today at Marrakech and Estoril, and not all of them will lose. There will be at least a couple of players who can't make it to the Monte Carlo qualies as they are playing this weekend.

So Sumit is safely in, for the Monte Carlo qualifying draw!!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

And he is officially in the Monte Carlo Qualies list now!
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Hurray, he is in!

Does anyone know how the points work for each level of the tournament?