Asian champions trophy

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Asian champions trophy

Post by arjun2761 »

India is just a tick behind England at world #4. Hopefully, a win should get us back to #3.

Malaysia and Korea are at 9 and 10 while Pakistan at 16 is now ranked behind Wales.
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

:bounce: :bounce: Akashdeep Singh... What a blinder
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

We won 4-3 in the final against Malaysia after coming back from being 1-3 down at half time. Did not see today's match but looked like we were on the way to our one customary bad performance per tournament. Thankfully, we came back strongly in second half.

Akashdeep scored the winner in the final. So, does he stay now ?
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Akashdeep, for the entire match was sloppy inept and fumbling untill that goal which has given him a unfair, undeserved unjust,unmerited lifeline.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Rajiv wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:39 am Akashdeep, for the entire match was sloppy inept and fumbling untill that goal which has given him a unfair, undeserved unjust,unmerited lifeline.

We need players who can deliver when stakes are high. What matters is that he has scored a winning goal in finals of big tournament. So how can you drop him :devil:
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

Akashdeep winner was a splendid one ... India had almost 3 times more circle entry than their opponents but somehow could not score ... Akashdeep scored when mattered most ... It was an outstanding goal which saved us ... Tie breaker iwould have been a lottery
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:28 pm
jayakris wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:45 pm
Saffron Lenin wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:37 am I think this tournament is nail in the coffin for Akashdeep singh, he will not be selected for Asian games!!! Most probably, Abhishek will replace him!!!
Aren't you being overly optimistic?
No!!! I am being realistic here...
Ok, seeing the comments above, I think you were overly optimistic :(
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Rajiv wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:39 am ... until that goal which has given him a unfair, undeserved unjust,unmerited lifeline.
Unabashed, unequivocal, unmerciful and unmitigated unleashing of understandable unhappiness over his unquestionable unworthiness.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

^^^ :D :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

arjun2761 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:16 pm India is just a tick behind England at world #4. Hopefully, a win should get us back to #3.
We are now ranked #3 behind only Netherlands and Belgium. I am not sure how realistic the rankings are. Germany are at #5 and Australia at #6. I am sure they will pose more than even challenge to us.
srini

Post by srini »

India defeated Belgium 4-1 just couple of months back in June. Its a different thing we may have won with other countries which were experimenting but I think our resident expert in hockey ssp said that he thought Belgium was playing full strength so our ranking above them may hold but when other countries start playing their finds from these developmental teams along with their national players we may start losing to them. I feel we should’ve been little more adventurous in trying out some junior players.. at least 1-2 players should have been tried in all the matches for Pro league.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

srini wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:54 pm India defeated Belgium 4-1 just couple of months back in June. Its a different thing we may have won with other countries which were experimenting but I think our resident expert in hockey ssp said that he thought Belgium was playing full strength so our ranking above them may hold but when other countries start playing their finds from these developmental teams along with their national players we may start losing to them. I feel we should’ve been little more adventurous in trying out some junior players.. at least 1-2 players should have been tried in all the matches for Pro league.
We are ranked lower than Belgium, not above them. I am surprised about Germany and more so Australia who are ranked #6. Has their game fallen so much in recent times ?
srini

Post by srini »

Oh got it.. so maybe Fulton insider knowledge about Belgium helped us. I think our team may not do well against Germany or Australia if they tried developmental teams in Pro league. We can be sure every team will be back with their best which includes the “find of tour players” from Pro league along with national squads
ssp

Post by ssp »

Great comeback in Q3 & 4. Despite our ranking and spending, we have been cr*p in Asia. Our record is rather embarrassing, so good to win this tournament. I've only seen highlights of the final, so will pass judgement on the performance for now.

Regarding Akashdeep: I have been a critic since about 2013 or so. The guy is lazy, inconsistent and is even worse than Mandeep! There can be no bigger insult than that. Both of these guys are handicapping our results. But the selectors will see Akashdeep's winning goal and overlook the 100 shitty things he did in the whole tournament.

From the highlights, I noticed Amit Rohidas could have done better in 2 of the goals we conceded. This is another player I have little confidence in, yet the selectors look at only his PC defence. My argument is that another player would be taking these duties and could perform well (as this is an a skill that you can work on with practice, whilst if you can't trap the ball or pass 5m or score from 1m..for a decade or so, then you are not going to learn now!! :mad: )

I think we have missed 2 big opportunities to blood in new players. Firstly, in the Pro league and here at the ACT. We need 2 defenders -to replace Surender Kumar and Amit Rohidas- Sanjay has been tried out and has done well. I'd try Shardanand Tiwari too. In attack need to to try Mohammed Raheel and Pawan Rajbar. I also liked Shilanand Lakra, but he seems to have been banished like dozens of other promising forwards! Against the like sof China or Pakistan (!!) we could have tried out new faces without the risk of losing.

The Spain 4 nations tournament was also a chance to try some new players. There was nothing at stake there. Can't work out what the selectors' long term plan is.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is no plan. They are just rubber stamps.