Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Ramkumar Ramanathan thread

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:28 pm Then why is he continuing to play? What’s he trying to prove and to whom?
I assume he thought that his injury has gone away. Sometimes you know only when you play competitively, how badly some physical ailments affect your game. If the bad back is the reason, he should take some more time off. He did win a lot of points on his own serve to hang in there today, so things may not be that bad and he thought he was ready to shake it off and start winning. I am just guessing.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

He did come back to play a doubles match on the same day. Doesn’t look like injury issues when you can play back to back matches and be able to win at least one of them. :-~

(QF) (1) Ramkumar Ramanathan/ Parikshit Somani 7-6 6-2 Dimitris Sakellaridis (GRE)/ Stefanos Sakellaridis (GRE)
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

He should probably just shut it down and only play doubles.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Dinesh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:06 pm He did come back to play a doubles match on the same day. Doesn’t look like injury issues when you can play back to back matches and be able to win at least one of them.
If it is a back pain that comes up only at certain postures etc, one can probably mask it with positioning and alternate shots in doubles, where the shots are often more compact and requires less power. If the return of serve from AD courts or something is where it happens more, he can play deuce courts. Experienced doubles players like him can probably do things like that and still win a doubles match or two. But even small physical ailments are enough to bring your singles game whole notches lower, as you have to run left and right and and hit shots with power or you get eaten up. That is why doubles guys play 10+ years more than singles guys!

It was never an injury that made him feel he couln't play, it seems. But it looks like a persisting condition with his back, which is troublesome.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sanjay wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:39 pm He should probably just shut it down and only play doubles.
Why do WE want him to shut it down? It is not like we have a whole crowd of other singles players of top-300 quality clamoring to be noticed, on whom we can spend our fans' time :) ...

I don't want him to shut it down. If he feels that the issues may go away, let him try playing singles till he gets convinced that he can't do it. I will only suggest taking enough time off to let the issues go away, rather than be foolish in hurrying back.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Top seeds Ramk and Parikshit Somani have reached the doubles final at M25 in Spain getting a walkover in the SF. They will meet the second seeded pair in the final.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

sameerph wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:02 am Top seeds Ramk and Parikshit Somani have reached the doubles final at M25 in Spain getting a walkover in the SF. They will meet the second seeded pair in the final.
They lost 6-3 7-6 in the final round. Still a good result for someone like Somani who’s trying to get his doubles ranking up.

For Ramkumar, he’s back in the challenger circuit next week with Luca Margaroli at the Montechiarugolo Challenger where he won’t be playing singles (unless the qualifying draw is in desperate need of alternates). Or perhaps, he’s trying to take a break from singles that week.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Ramk finally gets a main draw win at least in doubles at challenger level. He and Luca Margaroli upset 4th seeds in Italy.

At Montechiarugolo Challenger 75, Italy (Clay)

[R1] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / Luca Margaroli (SUI) d. (4) Luis David Martinez (VEN) /Andrea Pellegrino (ITA) 62 36 10-1

Next,

[QF] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / Luca Margaroli (SUI) vs. Alessandro Giannessi (ITA) /Thiago Monteiro (BRA)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

He needed a win of any kind, badly... I hope this will help slowly settle him back into a calmer mindset, and start a resurgence of sorts. At least I can hope. I am not giving up on RamK. He is too talented for us to give up on.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Ramkumar is in doubles final in Italy Challenger.

[QF] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / Luca Margaroli (SUI) d. Alessandro Giannessi (ITA) /Thiago Monteiro (BRA) walkover

[SF] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / Luca Margaroli (SUI) d. (1) Nikola Cacic (SRB) /Victor Vlad Cornea (ROM) 16 64 15-13

Next,

[F] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / Luca Margaroli (SUI) vs. (2) Jonathan Eysseric (FRA) /Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Very nice win!! I think RamK is slowly on his way back... At least I hope so. He has moved up 28 spots in live doubles ranking to #184 with that. He had fallen out of the doubles top-200 this week for the first time in over 4 years. Back up again, and hopefully will keep going up.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

They lost in the finals against second seeds.

[F] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) / Luca Margaroli (SUI) l. (2) Jonathan Eysseric (FRA) /Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) 26 36
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

If Ramk can ever start thinking "I don't give a flying f..." and play just for fun, he will do better, I think. Easier said than done for us who are brought up struggling, competing, and fighting for every advancement. But, I hope at some point, someone can make him do that for one tournament and see the difference.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:30 pm If Ramk can ever start thinking "I don't give a flying f..." and play just for fun, he will do better, I think. Easier said than done for us who are brought up struggling, competing, and fighting for every advancement. But, I hope at some point, someone can make him do that for one tournament and see the difference.
I don’t think i would have been able to handle so many defeats in a row. Hope he turns the corner
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

After 3-4 weeks break, RamK is back to playing singles. He is 12th seed in qualies of Braunschweig challenger 125 and plays local wild card Hendrik Jebens (GER,1136) tomorrow.