Ramkumar Ramanathan thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Dinesh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Ramkumar Ramanathan thread

Post by Dinesh »

Ramkumar is in the Montpellier ATP 250 entry list for Doubles with Phillip Oswald. Tournament starts in the week of Feb-6. He will not get a chance to play singles with his rank of #412.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

At the Montpelier 250 Ram makes common early exit's in 2023 compared to the same period 2022 where he used to go deep.

And now has fallen down to the 125 in the live rankings, which is basically in the 300's by singles standard and would need atleast 5 to 6 Challenger wins just to be in contention for the next GS entry.

This slide in doubles too has happened due to adhoc planning and keep playing with random players without forging a stable partnership, in the last one month alone has paired with 3 different players and in the last 12 months has played with astonishing 20 different players which in itself looks like record for a player who was ranked in the 50's for a period of time and was top 100 for the entire year.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

For the record, at the ATP 250 in Montpellier, FRA (hard)

[R1] Philipp Oswald (AUT)/ Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) l. (WC) Maxime Cressy (USA)/ Albano Olivetti (FRA), 36 64 8-10]
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

RamK will be at the Luagno challenger (Italy) for doubles next week, playing with Jonathan Eysseric (FRA,97). He had not entered the qualifying there, but I think he would have been 2 or 3 out of the list anyway. If he has reached there, maybe there is a chance for him to make it in as an ALT tomorrow, I guess.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

^^^, This Challenger is in Switzerland and not in Italy, Can he regain his last years doubles form remains to be seen as this year hasn't started on a promising note.

But in a significant development, has finally listened too what I told him 8 -10 months ago to work with Qureshi, and next week in Hungary will team up with him, from Dubai traveled to Lugano to give last minute OS entry even though not playing with Aisam this week as he (Qureshi)was comitted to Dustin Brown ,And also my good Tennis buddy in Hkg at the Kowloon Cricket Club has family relations with Qureshi.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ OH yes, Switzerland :tomato: ... And nice to know of the plans with Aisam. He is a nice guy at a point in his career where he might not get too upset at RamK's emotional antics and might even help get him out of the trouble he puts himself into. Others might not have the patience for that.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

^^^ The only concern I see in this long overdue partnership if the desired results can be achieved.The situation today is bit different when I was pleading to form a partnership when both of them were ranked in the 50's.

But this year Quereshi too seems to be struggling and like Ram has lost 70% of his matches .
So here Quereshi is burdened with dual responsibility of not only mentoring and coaxing Ram but even has to take care of his own playing form.
So let's wait and watch.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Also looks like his singles career is going to take a backseat now. With his current ranking of 414, he is finding it difficult to get into even qualifying draws for challengers. Good thing is he has 0 points to defend for next couple of months. So, even one off week he can get a run somewhere he can improve his ranking which will help him get into qualifying draws of challengers.

I see him in the entry list of Biel Challenger 100 in Switzerland in 2 weeks time which is on indoor hard courts. He has chosen to skip India M25 series it seems.

Would like to have him a go at singles still for a couple of years more. He did show even last year which was an otherwise horrible year for him that he can win matches against top 100-150 level players on his day.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This week too RamK lost in first round of doubles at Lugano 26 67(1). His woes in 2023 continue.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Yes the woes in 2023 seems to he unstoppable and today got comprehensively beaten in straight sets at the Hungarian Challenger in the QR1.
When I say the draw playing against a 800 ranked player who has played not more then 7 to 8 singles tournaments in the last 14 months and most of them Futures compared to nearly 37 tournaments played by Ram , a win was on the cards to set him on track , but despite this still failed to stich a win with a worrying breadstick scoreline in S2

Just seems to be playing his matches without any planning and focus and when you have this type of inputs how can one expect a different output, and the end result eventually will be the same as the input.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think he should just come to India and play the Futures to get back on track. His singles ranking is in free fall, and losing week after week in qualifiers will not do his confidence any good. Rajiv, please advise him accordingly. These 4 weeks in India are a good opportunity to build a bank of points.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:39 pm I think he should just come to India and play the Futures to get back on track. His singles ranking is in free fall, and losing week after week in qualifiers will not do his confidence any good. Rajiv, please advise him accordingly. These 4 weeks in India are a good opportunity to build a bank of points.
Next week he is the Biel challenger qualifying draw and doubles field with Balaji.

After that he will be returning to India for M25 in Mysore and than M15 in Chennai the week after.

Good that he is playing some singles at lower level. Right now he is losing in both singles and doubles. So, probably he needs to gain some confidence by winning some matches in singles and then there a lot of time for doubles after that.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

OK, looks like my advice reached him telepathically :p
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Great that he will be at Mysuru and Chennai!
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:52 pm Great that he will be at Mysuru and Chennai!
Mysuru? My hometown! Where and when is this?