How to Make Your Young Child Successful in Sports?

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

How to Make Your Young Child Successful in Sports?

Post by BSharma »

Many Sports-India members have young children and want to pass on their enthusiasm for sports to them.  Invariably the questions come up of how to introduce the young children to sports; what sports are best suited to them; how can we help the children to become better athletes; how can I encourage my daughter to participate in sports; do the young children need a special diet; when can the children start doing strength training, and should children undergo sports physical. 

A year or more back, I had e-mail exchanges with a Sports-India member about some of these issues.  I had passed on to him some of the sports-related activities I did with my children as they were growing up and what I did to improve their coordination and strength.

Here are links to some articles that our Sports-India members might find useful in making their children enjoy sports.

Children and sports: Choices for all ages
This article written by the Mayo Clinic personnel discusses how to help your child to choose the right sport and how to improve your child’s sports skills with age-appropriate activities.

Exercises for Young Athletes
The article published by American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons recommends certain stretching exercises that young athletes can perform before participating in any athletic activity.

Do You Know How To Feed Your Child Athlete?

How Parents can Encourage Girls to Play Sports
Adapted from the Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity, The Centers for Disease Control offers tips to get girls involved in sports.

Strength training: OK for kids when done correctly
Mayo Clinic offers the ABC of strength training.

Taking the Pressure Off Sports Competition

Sports Physicals
All that you would want to know about sports physical examination performed by a physician.

Female Athlete Triad

Performance-enhancing drugs and your teen athlete
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Re: How to Make Your Young Child Successful in Sports?

Post by BSharma »

I started this thread so that people can access some of the relevant information on the subject of getting your child enjoy sports, but also to let members share their ideas, thoughts and experiences of what worked for them and what turned out to be a disaster.  I am sure that all of us can benefit from each others knowledge.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

My advice to parents - let your child play multiple sports from 7-12, then pick one sport in consultation with the coaches, find a coach for that sport, get the child the resources he/she needs, make it clear that school gets top priority, get out of the way, love them no matter how well they do.

P.S. Be careful even giving "encouragement" because what you think is encouragement might be putting pressure on the child.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jai_in_canada wrote: My advice to parents - let your child play multiple sports from 7-12, then pick one sport in consultation with the coaches, find a coach for that sport, get the child the resources he/she needs, make it clear that school gets top priority, get out of the way, love them no matter how well they do.

P.S. Be careful even giving "encouragement" because what you think is encouragement might be putting pressure on the child.
Jai_in_canada has beautifully expressed his views about “encouragement” of young children in sports.

Sports-India members include professional tennis players, professional tennis coach(es) (where is Prof. these days?), club level players, college/high school level players, casual tennis players, parents of talented junior players, and tennis enthusiasts.  I seek your input to some of the following questions and take the discussion into any area that you feel will help us turn our youngsters into lifelong tennis players.

Please keep in mind that this thread is about encouraging children to become good players rather than discussing how to turn them into future world champions.  The latter requires input from professionals.

- When is a good age to introduce tennis to Indian youngsters?

- Does introducing badminton prior to tennis to youngster make it easier to develop tennis skills?

- Which other sports should youngsters play to become decent high school level tennis player?

- How easy is it to find public tennis courts in cities in India, Middle East and South East Asia?

Dhruv/moderators, please move this thread into a more appropriate section if you think so.  I started this thread in the tennis section because many members play tennis or read/write in the tennis related threads.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

I am surprised that this very important topic has elicited little response.  Aren't there SI members with kids who they want to develop into tennis players?  Don't the members have any ideas on this topic?  Aren't there folks with experience coaching kids?  Aren't there parents who have raised kids and have lessons to share on what to do, and what not to do?  Everybody laments about the state of Indian tennis.  But you reap what you sow.  Are we only interested in the fruit, not the root?  Tennis player development is very much like farming.  Players do not sprout overnight.  In the Davis Cup thread people are talking about using DC ties to "groom" upcoming players.  That's like saying we use the harvesting season to make the plants strong.  The seeds, the cultivation techniques, the "soil" richness needs to be addressed.  Strong plants will follow.  Then India will have a problem with harvesting the rich produce.  Come on people, let us hear more about this from you.  If not, stop moaning about Indian tennis.

P.S. It is more than player development.  Development of tennis administraion, marketing and financial management is also important.  That is, the "farmers" also need to be educated so that they use the latest techniques on the "saplings."  OK - enough from Farmer Jai! :D
shaili

Post by shaili »

Sorry Farmer Jai,
I dont have any kids.... :D
Will definitely post in this thread after I do.
Shaili
suresh

Post by suresh »

My wife and I want only one thing for our kid -- he must grow up to be a happy and good person. Everything else is icing on the cake.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Suresh - That's what Dr. B is talking about - what is the best way to put the icing on the cake?  Now we are mixing metaphors - can a farmer put icing on the cake by planting a seed and cultivating it.  :roll:

Shaili, your response is very cute, but come on, you must have some ideas as a young person about what parents are doing right and wrong.  :D
10nis_ace

Post by 10nis_ace »

Dr. Bhushan has raised a very interesting topic for discussion. Here's my $0.02, for whatever it's worth:

When is a good age to introduce tennis to Indian youngsters?
It’s never late to get introduced to tennis. Tennis is a sport for the lifetime. The age that kids would get introduced to tennis would vary by circumstances I would guess. From what I’ve gathered there is vast range of age when players have been introduced to tennis. Majority of the ATP players (McEnroe brothers, Agassi, Courier, etc.) started playing tennis when they were 6 years or younger. Federer started at 8, Rohan Bopanna started at 12. There are some who are totally dedicated to tennis right from an early age whereas some like Federer and Nadal play a couple of sports till they are about 10-12 years old and make a decision as to which sport to pursue full-time.

Getting them to start playing the game the right way is the key. For parents who are better prepared, generally when your child is 5-6 year old, getting them to hit with you and taking them to the tennis lessons would be the way to start, imo.

You would know within a year or two as to how much talent your child has. It won’t go unnoticed and you would know from the coaches too if they see a sparkle or shades of brilliance in the child. A good experienced juniors’ coach would be able to spot the talent and get a sense of how far can the kid go. However, it would vary from child to child. Many are late bloomers and some might just peak too early and have challenges developing further.

Does introducing badminton prior to tennis to youngster make it easier to develop tennis skills?
From personal experience and given how different and at times non-complementary badminton skills are from skill requirements of tennis, I would say it does not help at all (except things like overheads). There is no concept of a swing in Badminton. The shot-making in Badminton is primarily based on wrist snaps (a no-no for tennis strokes) with little shoulder movements. There are no multiple ways a shuttle cock can be hit (i.e. flat, top-spin, unders-pin, etc.). The fitness requirements are different too. Badminton is more anaerobic energy based whereas tennis involves both aerobic and anaerobic components.

Which other sports should youngsters play to become decent high school level tennis player? Soccer and basketball are good as complementary sports.

I like the recipe that Jai provided for sporting success of a child. It sounds very balanced for the all-round development, academic as well as athletic.
Sathya

Post by Sathya »

Thanks Bhushan-ji for having started this topic. I thought of asking some of the members here on how to go about making a good sportsperson. Now you have started this excellent thread to help me.

I have 2.7 year old son and wants to encourage him on sports. Here is my view:

1. Select the school which not only gives importance to academics but to all sports activities as well
2. Select the school which has got multiple sports facilities like Foot Ball, Tennis, Volley Ball and Basket Ball to name a few. In fact, many schools I have seen in Chennai have a small piece of land claiming that to be a play ground.
3. Parents, as Jai has pointed out clearly should introduce the child to many sports and let the child choses based on his / her liking after consulting with coaches and parents. Important thing here is to get our child gain as much knowledge and interest in sports and games
4. Parents must accompany or even take part along with Child in these activities if possible that will encourage the child very well. I still remember when I played volleyball my mom used to get upset whenever I go to ground (morning and evening). But that extra-curricular activity only secured me the seat in my college.
5. Parents should regularly read Sports-India Forum and also participate to gain more exposure. Also, when they teach child on internet / TV, they should select such good sites / programmes on sports. If you program the child's brain earlier, then I think that will stay on forever.
6. Once the child develops interest in specific sports, if affordable and possible, parents can even learn coaching on that sports so that they can contribute to initial development of Champion in the making. Later on, they can leave that job to expert coaches.
7. Never get upset if the results are not getting produced. Try other alternatives possible.

Some of the points are repeated as I share the same views.

Looking forward to gain as much knowledge as possible from this discussion.

Regards,
Sathia
Father of a child who wants to be Father of a sports person and if possible Father of the CHAMPION
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Our members have made excellent points about  proper encouragement of children and how to introduce children to sports.

Perhaps, it is time to move to Part II  :D.

What specific drills or activities can parents do with their young children to get them ready for specific sports.  For example, Sathya is a volleyball player and what advice would he give if a child is interested in volleyball, but has never played it.  What specific drills should parents do with their child to get him or her prepared for volleyball.  Please start your answers with activities for beginners and then take us through advanced level activities.

Can members write about tennis, soccer, hockey, basketball, table-tennis, golf, badminton, athletics, cricket ( :oops: :wink:), swimming, and other sports?  I will share my views in a few days, but I did not want to hog all the space in this thread.  :oops:  I have coached soccer and baseball (including T-ball) at 5-year level as well as at advanced junior level.

Addendum:

Having children of their own is not a requirement to discuss this subject.  I am looking at people such as Arun, "gurvinder", Shaili, Sandeep, Kumar, etc - all of them active players (but having no children of their own, yet) - to share their knowledge with us.  Shaili has a deep interest in sports and I would like her to comment also on how to get girls to become more interested in sports.
Last edited by BSharma on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Many sports require running and for a child to become good at a sport or to enjoy sport as a recreational athlete, proper running is important.

I am aware that Sanjay is an exceptional runner and there are other SI members who are good runners.  Can they share their knowledge of how to make young children into better runners?
x_y_Z_a

Post by x_y_Z_a »

Some of the things that I suggest:

1. Create an atmosphere where the child gets to see / observe as many sports as possible - watching  TV / live games as possible ( this could start as early as 1 year onwards)

2. Encourage the child to take part in all kind of sports / games by providing facilities and encouragement. Child's aptitude / liking is the most important. Please do not force the child to take up a sport which it does not like.

3. It is very very important to select the right kind of school where enough sports and facilities exist and they have a history of producing champions in atleast some disciplines. This is a proof that they will encourage the kid later on when the kid starts participating in competetions.

4. Encourage studies as well as sports - both at equal level to start with. You can give lower priority to studies once the kid starts showing keen interest / seriousness in sports. Please do remember that studies are also important even if the kid is excelling in sports. End of the day study helps the child even in sports.

5. Let the kid decide which sports it likes. Once they become serious in any discipline, other sports should be lower priority, time permitting.

6. Parents' involvement and encouragement is very important  in the development of the kid - but please do not interfere with coaching etc. unless you are sure that what is being done is harmful to your kid.

7. In addition to the sports, the child should be doing the necessary physical training as well.

8. Use the help of experienced athletes ( uninvloved with the kid ) to choose the right kind of coach / trainers.

9. Please encourage the kid based on improvements shown in the sports rather than just the results. Similarly, do not scold / punish the kid for a loss. Rather sit with the coach / kid to analyse what improvements are needed and discuss them much later when the kid is receptive.

10. The parents have to sacrifice a lot to encourage the kid - by way of quality time being spent with the kid during the game, training etc. Provide as much resources required for the kid's sports as possible. Try hard to get sponsorship for the kid ( not easy as we all know).
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Thanks x_y_Z_a for your wonderful and practical advices for parents.  Some members may not be aware that x_y_Z_a has a child who is a very gifted student-athlete in India. 

I have a question regarding #4.  My friends in India often complain that their children do not have free time to participate in sports because academic competition is so tough; however, I have learned that some young SI members are good in sports and have graduated from premier institutions such as IIT.  Can studies and recreational sports coexist in Indian schools?  Players such as Karan and Sania have to sacrifice studies to play sports all over the world, but this thread is really not about them and is about Indian children growing up to be all-rounder. 

PKB grew up playing sports daily in India and continues to do so now.  An ideal role model for Indian sports is a person like PKB - good in sports and studies in school as well as staying actively involved in sports as a player and spectator/sports facilitator in later life.  I would be interested in learning what he has done to pass on his upbringing to his children.  (If I have not mentioned anyone by name, it is because I do not know enough about your background.  :oops:)
Sunil Yajaman

Post by Sunil Yajaman »

Thanks Dr. Sharma for inviting me to write on this topic. I'm sharing some thoughts which I think may help parents realise their duty as Tennis parents.

Tips for Tennis Parents

• Firstly, it is important that you don’t take over the role of a coach
• Have faith in the coach & let him work on your child.
• Encourage the child to play variety of sports until they are 12 / 13 yr old.
• Motor skills are developed in the earlier years (between 3 – 8 yr in phases), play with them or encourage them to indulge in outdoor sports from a very young age. Any outdoor sport will help them develop co-ordination skills & become an athlete. Focused training in a single sport should commence from 12 yr onwards.
• According to a research among successful Professional Tennis players, it is a fact that they were able to play any stroke by the time they are 12yr.
• Mini Tennis is a very important tool to introduce Tennis to children between 4 – 10 yr old. With plastic bats & sponge balls, they can easily learn the complete stroke & not just push the ball to keep it in.
• Look for schools which would encourage their involvement in Sports.
• Always talk positive to the child.
• How he is at home reflects on the Tennis court. Make sure he is in good spirits all the time.
• It is important that you be a good Tennis parent, be supportive & encouraging to your child.
• Develop a Winning Habit: This starts at home. You can help develop this winning attitude by encouraging maximum effort during practices and games, rewarding their improvements in mastering skills, and supporting your child to try their best.
• Remember that no one plays to lose & your child needs you more when he loses. Look out for the effort he puts in a match not the result.
• Avoid criticizing the child.
• Make the child independent (In India, parents are very protective of children & often that leads them to be dependent).
• Try not to be present at the time of training / coaching (You wouldn’t go & sit in your child’s school to see how studies are going on!) or even travel with your child too much for tournaments. It helps if actually the coach travels.
• Have Patience. It takes a long time before your child can emerge as a successful player (in professional level).
• All players can’t be champions. You have to accept the fact that your child may not be able to achieve what YOU expect him to.
• Save a lot of money in the earlier years, you will need loads of it at a later stage of your child’s career.
• Tennis is a big Lesson for LIFE. So, let your child play the game of Life

Perfect examples for parents are the ones of Jelena Dokic / Monica Seles / Mary Pierce to name a few. Whatever the problems there have been between these players & their parents, they have also been very influential in their developing years. I’m not sure if their downfall started after they moved away from their parents due to some problems.

I have closely followed the Mirzas, Imran & Naseema, parents of Sania Mirza who in my opinion are the main reason for Sania to reach where she is today.  Not only they have sacrificed a lot for Sania’s career but also have been very positive & supportive ever since she was a young kid playing under 10. They just did things a Tennis parent has to do perfectly & we can see the result of it today. Be a good role model for your kids. The will to win is important but the will to prepare to win is of greater value.

Finally, you need to take a decision when it matters. In my professional experience, I’m convinced that it is not possible to balance between Tennis & Academics (unless parents move away from the craze for professional courses In India). It is an adventure, you don’t know finally whether your child will make it or not, but, today there are enough opportunities to make a good living out of Tennis if one doesn’t become a champion. Perseverance is something which should be taught & encouraged. So what if Michael Chang won the French Open at the age of 17 during 1989, 1990 title went to 30 yr old Andres Gomez

Dr. Sharma's questions:

- When is a good age to introduce tennis to Indian youngsters?

Introduction & developing a love for it could start as early as 3 years. BUt, let me tell you that there is no definite age.

- Does introducing badminton prior to tennis to youngster make it easier to develop tennis skills?

Any sport will compliment the other sport. Unlike the old school of thought, Badminton could help the player to learn the use of wrist in Tennis which is very importnat in modern day's Tennis.

- Which other sports should youngsters play to become decent high school level tennis player?

Any outdoor sport. In my opinion, the ones which would help them more would be Basketball, Football & swimming

- How easy is it to find public tennis courts in cities in India, Middle East and South East Asia?

Pretty diffcult I should say. Peope are forced to send their kids to Tennis Coaching centers, Clubs or Hotels,  as community courts are very few if not non existent.

Sunil Yajaman