General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

frozen84
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

atp tour info

Post by frozen84 »

good day guys..

how does one register for playing in atp..i thought itp's ipin registration was enough..but once inside i found only futures tournament list..big disappointment.. :-(

now atp is seperate registration i heard..but how..!

njoi..
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: atp tour info

Post by jayakris »

The IPIN registration you did was for ITF (International Tennis Federation), which is the IOA-recognized international federation for tennis for a very long time, from the amteurs-only days of tennis. They conduct all the futures events (below $25K prize money), and the 4 grand slams. ATP is the professional organization that was formed in the 70s and they introduced high prize money events in tennis. Both ITF and ATP work together, because ATP gives ranking pts for ITF events. Every player that starts off plays a lot of futures events to bring the rankings up, till they can enter the ATP events and play those. ATP conducts the challengers and higher events, which are mch fewer in numbers than all the events that ITF conducts at the lower ad junior levels around the world, but the ATP events are much more higher-profile.

I don't know what the procedure is, to register for ATP's players-only site (http://www.atp-playerzone.com), but it is about $300 or something per year for membership. It may be open only to players who have played at some ATP events - but I'm not sure. There is really no additional info at the playerzone except for the latest entry lists for the events (and the one-page tournament details sheets, which ATP tries to keep away from the public because of some phone numbers of supervisors, official hotels and tournament desk in there).

Other that the ATP's public site, http://www.atpworldtour.com, the best site for info is simple site, http://www.stevegtennis.com where the events and details are available in a slightly easier and less-jazzy format. SteveG also keeps the tournament details sheets without phone numbers.. The third site of interest is menstennisforums.com (where some people post ATP's inside info on entry list updates after they are released at the playerzone - basically "stealing" them). The preliminary entry lists of the tournaments till the initial entry lists are released, are not in a "liftable" format at playerzone (and they change constantly as players enter), and so they are not available at menstennisforums or anywhere else.

Bottom line - there is no need for you to get access to atp-playerzone.com unless you are a serious player (usually in the top-1000 of ATP ranks). You are not missing much info of interest from there. When you are at a level to play the ATP events, just talk to the tournament supervisor and you would find out how to get access to the ATP site, but you will need to pay a few few hundred $$ per year for that.

Jay
frozen84

Post by frozen84 »

hello guys..good day..
thnx jayakris for sharing such valuable information..they are very helpful..
i would like to share some as well..

here is the telephone number for atp office at monte carlo..+37797970404
a sweet lady would answer your call with a memorable accent..
when asked about information on registering for atp though her only reply was a fax number (0037797970448) and request for passport and email address to be faxed..i would then receive an email with some details on atp tour registration and stuff..i hope..

i am planning to send it today night..will update you later..
frozen84

Post by frozen84 »

no updates yet..:(
frozen84

Post by frozen84 »

talked with that lady myself at last..

i must have atleast 1 atp point to join this https://atp-playerzone.com of atp tournaments..

but it does not mean i cannot play an atp tournament..yes..if i request and if my request is accepted by the atp tournment director, i could play..but that is just a possibility..i must welcome myself to the real world..where on earth will such thing happen i wonder..!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That was what I was saying above - that I thought you had to be listed as an ATP players (ie, having and ATP ranking point from playing ITF events) to get an atp-playerzone account.. If you are a player, you should find an ITF event that you can enter (usually in the qualifying rounds where one may be able to enter without any ranking) and move up the ranks before thinking of ATP. Make the main draw of an ITF futures event and win at least a round, to get ATP pts.. Not sure why you are desperate to jump the gun and join the players' website though!

Jay
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Dude, not sure why you are engaging this guy at all! :)

Can't seem to dig and find things on his own, on the web. Can't seem to read and understand what is written, even when you handed him all the info.

Wants to get a visa to Europe, reduce food expenses (boil an egg), participate in European Futures events, don't get out of the hostel room... :kookoo: Doesn't have a single ATP point so far! If you are a player, just play one of the many Futures events around the world or even in India, and win 1 round first before embarking on such ideas!!
i just had a few ideas to cut costs..

1. no eat out in restaurants..make ur own food..yes start with a simple boiled egg now..
being non-vegetarian helps a lot here as protein source..
2. no tour..be inside ur 4 walls of hostel room bothering ur neighbours doing push ups/sit ups/crunches..3. no buying souvenirs for family, friends..
4. not thinking too much about money but only when it is time to spend them..
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

kujo - I have infinite patience, sometimes :) .. I try not to make judgments/conclusions on a poster (at least in my response) as long as the posts are not violating our policies, even if we go "you cannot be serious?" about them .. For all I know, frozen84 is 15 year old boy with decent tennis talent from a small town in Madhyapradesh with nobody knowledgable around to ask about it - and we helped. He could well also be 22 year old you-know-what yanking our chains, or perhaps a 30 year old misguided soul who happened to hit a few balls hard with extra-energy after a chicken-tikka lunch and thought he just may have it in him to come up in pro tennis (good luck!). Who am I to judge him? .. Either way, well, we have still done our job of putting some info out there that somebody else may find useful. That's all :)

Jay
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

point taken, you have put the info out and done your part.

If you ask me, I would pick your first option (probably 18yr old...) This person has a passport, has internet access, talks to random lady in Monte Carlo (makes an ISD call), sends a fax to ATP office there, has no clue about ITF, ATP