This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: National Spelling Bee 2010

Post by jayakris »

Forget about your obsessive hatred for chess, Jay, and celebrate a truly worthy world champion. Only the Americans don't think of it as a sport
Americans are right on a lot of things, though. In many things that the rest of the world thinks the Americans are wrong, the world sooner or later figures out that the Americans were right after all .. But that is another discussion, because my opinions on chess has nothing to do wth what Americans think. Actually I didn't know that Americans think that way and the rest of the world thinks differently... Any data on this? Really?? [Or is it PKB's Nehru-like contempt for all things American? ... I know PKB, that was below the belt :)]

Anyway, I have no hatred at all to chess. It is a tremendous game. Calling it a sport is all I object to. Viswanathan Anand being the world champion is as big an achievement as an individual world championship in any sport, or say a scientist from India getting a Nobel prize. It is a big achievement. You don't have to call chess a "sport" for the achievement to be great. It is THE most enjoyed, most popular, and most respected game in the world, and it stands on its own. If you ask me to name the top 5 world-relevant personalities from India, Vishy Anand has to be one I would include.. No need to call him a sports man for that.

That top chess requires physical fitness does not make it a sport either. To be a top actor in Hollywood also requires as good or better physical fitness these days. Or any dancer needs to be. They are not sportsmen.

Sports for me are the activities where people compete against other people, people's visible body parts move, and how well/correctly/effectively they move directly affects their chance for winning. Necessary condition (not sufficient .. example: dancers, actors) .. The "visble" part was added to exclude singers whose vocal chords do move! Carrom is a sport. Anthaakshari is not. They are all games though. I always considered chess a game. A really great game that I was never good at. I have amazing respect for all who can do well in chess. My brain was too poor for that the couple of times I tried to play....

I don't think there is any sport in Olympics or Winter Olympics that does not fit my definition. It is a pretty simple definition.

Why do you all feel so much need to call chess a sport?? What does it prove to call it a sport?? Would it become any great an activity? Or any less because we call it a game instead of a sport?

Jay
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Carrom is marginally a sport. I would call it a game. I do not think rhythmic gymnastics or synchronized swimming are sports either. If so, then dance is also a game.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

When you bring in the Olympics, I would add another dimension. To me, events where performance is based on subjective aesthetic judgment are not sports. This rules out rhythmic gymnastics, ice dancing & competitive ballroom dancing (believe it or not, they have tried to get into the Olympics). I have no problem with figure skating per se, provided the judgment is on technical reasons only - how many twists & twirls & maneuvers are achieved. But once it is a matter of aesthetics, it is no longer a sport.

Equestrian is another Olympic category that is arguably not a sport (for humans anyway).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I generally agree with that. I didn't want to get into it. I too hate events with subjective judgements... Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jayakris wrote:
Forget about your obsessive hatred for chess, Jay, and celebrate a truly worthy world champion. Only the Americans don't think of it as a sport
Americans are right on a lot of things, though. In many things that the rest of the world thinks the Americans are wrong, the world sooner or later figures out that the Americans were right after all .. But that is another discussion, because my opinions on chess has nothing to do wth what Americans think. Actually I didn't know that Americans think that way and the rest of the world thinks differently... Any data on this? Really?? [Or is it PKB's Nehru-like contempt for all things American? ... I know PKB, that was below the belt :)]

Jay
Yep, totally below the belt (on the Nehru jibe), but then I suppose so was my "hatred for chess" line. You are a bit obsessive about this though, Jay. We have heard you often enough on this topic, and many (most?) of us disagree with you -- and will not change our mind just by you repeating it! So, let it lie!
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

equestrian events, despite being primarily driven by the horse's ability, has the notion of "people's visible body parts move, and how well/correctly/effectively they move directly affects their chance for winning.". so it must be sport.

jumps and twirls, would that mean that the floor exercises (with ribbons) in gymnastics qualify as sports?

subjective judgement - the "barbaric" sport of boxing has it. the judges subjectively determine whether a punch has landed or not....

figure skating - the current olympic champion (from US) did not land a quad and still won the gold. the russian guy went and complained about not winning the gold despite landing a clean quad jump. they tried to reduce the subjective part of judging it and still we continue to have the controversies.

what about pushups and pullups as a sport? "visible body parts move" here and we can all sit and watch how many pushups a guy can do in 10 minutes, then have a marathon event on it. may be even have "synchronised" pushups event. ofcourse we will have a ladies event and possibly "mixed doubles synchronized pushups" as well!!

ice hocky is a sport, carrom is a sport and a game, chess is a sport and a game played by millions, cricket is a sport, shooting a bullet over 50 meters into a stationary target is a sport (even though, only your index finger moves and presses on the trigger!!) heck India even won a olympic gold in one of those right?

cheers
kujo
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Kujo, if you're replying to me, then note that I said subjective aesthetic judgment. Many sports allow subjective judgments to the referees/scorers, including cricket (LBWs), boxing, baseball (balls & strikes), basketball (when is a charge a charge?) etc. But these aren't based on aesthetics - they are based on a reasonable reckoning of an event, subject to human error. My problem is when aesthetics are explicitly included.

For example in figure skating - there are two sets of scores which get added to make the final score. One is technical - i.e. how many spins or pirouettes or whatever are included. The other is purely based on how 'beautiful' it looks to the judge. The second automatically disqualifies it as a sport for me.

Equestrian - I've never been clear how much the horses vary. Are they chosen at random? Or does each competitor show up with their own horse? If the latter, then doesn't it seem like the horse, rather than the rider, is the athlete? But I admit there is a grey area there.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

For a game to be called a sport it has to involve a change of shoes!
suresh

Post by suresh »

S_K_S wrote:For a game to be called a sport it has to involve a change of shoes!
LOL. Welcome back Sam.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

suresh wrote:
S_K_S wrote:For a game to be called a sport it has to involve a change of shoes!
LOL. Welcome back Sam.
How about Kabaddi? :) Do they wear shoes?
suresh

Post by suresh »

Yes, in kabaddi you take off your shoes -- that counts as change in footwear :rofl:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: US National Spelling Bee!!!

Post by jaydeep »

Another Indian kid won the US spelling bee champion 2011 ... Her name is Sukanya Roy and the 14-year-old spelt the word cymotrichous to won it.

Round by Round Results - Bee' 11
suresh

Post by suresh »

NOOOOO. Not again :-)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

suresh wrote:NOOOOO. Not again :-)
I m posting only final result without getting into any controversy ... :devil:
MelissaDaisy99

Post by MelissaDaisy99 »

Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.