Cricket World Cup 2011 - India is the World Champion!

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Cricket World Cup 2011 - in the sub-continent

Post by sameerph »

Prashant wrote:It would be absolutely unconscionable to drop Raina at this point - I don't think that should even enter their minds. Ashwin for one of Nehra/Munaf, and keep the rest the same I think.
It seems Nehra is anyway in doubt due to fractured fingure. So, most probably it will be Ashwin for Nehra in the final. Not sure if Gambhir is fully fit as he did not field yesterday. If not, Yusuf would replace him. Else, rest of team should be same.

SL also face injury worries both for Muralidharan & Angelo Mathews.
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

Sameer - the commentators yesterday said Gambhir had a "hamstring strain". He started the Pak innings on the field but left very shortly after. No idea how serious that is.

I am guessing Nehra hurt his finger on that attempted catch off Afridi. I was kind of shocked that Nehra even got close to that, he has improved his fielding.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Prashant wrote:It would be absolutely unconscionable to drop Raina at this point - I don't think that should even enter their minds. Ashwin for one of Nehra/Munaf, and keep the rest the same I think.
We should NEVER EVER play without Raina!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Prashant wrote: I was kind of shocked that Nehra even got close to that, he has improved his fielding.
Fielding and bowling fast are functions of effort. The whole team was trying their level best. No wides until past the 30th over. Munaf bowled close to 135kph. I think what this shows is that these guys do not put in 100% for some gulli-danda series against Sri Lanka but when the stakes are high, they put in their best efforts.

On another note, Pakistan over-achieved. They had only three good ODI batsmen Misbah and the Akmal brothers. Younis Khan has never really succeeded in ODIs. They left out Fawad Alam, Shoaib Malik, and Mohammad Yousuf. And, Mohammed Hafeez is a mercurial ODI bat. Nasir Jamshed has batted better than him in the chances he got as an opener. It would have been tighter if the better Pakistani bats were in the team.

Ashwin for Nehra would be my substitution irrespective of whether Ashwin is fit. Otherwise, the tail is too long and Nehra may not have two good days in succession. If Gambhir is fit, Yusuf comes in. Raina is a superb fielder and a dogged trier on Indian pitches. He should be a certainty in the XI for games in India. For overseas matches on fast bouncy pitches, may be the opposite is true.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Wrong decision. Wrong wrong wrong. If it is true.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

I don't think, it is that wrong:
1. SL, PAK players play spinners better than fast bowlers.
2. According to Dhoni, his judgement says ( well anybody could be wrong, but he is captain), it looks to be seamer friendly track.
3. Nehra is certainly out having sustained fracture.
4. We have lot of good part time spinners but no medium pace bowler in our team.

All this maybe the reason why Sreesanth may get nod. He can certainly bat/field better than Munaf too. He needs to control his emotions a bit. Ashwin looks great( but not better option than Bhajji) but SL would probably play him much better than say Aus/Eng/SA batsman. Will come to know tomorrow.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I hope he proves me wrong if he plays. However, Sreesanth has no line or length. Fast or not, pitch or not, opponent playing spin or not, a pace bowler who bowls one to two bad balls an over is a liability. On the other hand, Ashwin has bowled well with the new ball and takes wickets. Anyway, whoever plays and whatever happens, I hope the batsmen score big.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Dhoni says team went hungry before semifinal

I thought he was speaking metaphorically. May be, the team should not have breakfast on Saturday as well!!
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Tax exemption to ICC for Cricket World Cup

The minister did not get his wish but at least he is willing to make a case and acting like the sports minister not cricket minister or a BCCI puppet.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So Nehra is out. I hear it is one of Ashwin, Pathan, and Sreesanth. Whatever be the choice, I am sure the player will be inspired to do his best. Go India!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

prasen9 wrote:So Nehra is out. I hear it is one of Ashwin, Pathan, and Sreesanth. Whatever be the choice, I am sure the player will be inspired to do his best. Go India!
I think finally it will be Ashwin. That will be fair considering how well he has bowled in the opportunties he has got.

Angelo Mathews missing out is also a big blow for SL as it will affect the balance of their team. They are already not so good in terms of batting lower down the order. Now, it will be further depleted.
genius

Post by genius »

samaraweera and chamara are solid bats but they lack explosiveness and striking ability.

to put them under pressure, a above par total is required to expose this. or they can grind their way around 4-5.5.

And this time we have a realistic chance.last time, only australia chasing would have been a slim chance and ganguly even spoilt that.

i hope the players are calm and confident (as i am) and produce the best for the day without stupidity like the ball zaheer bowled to misbah!

our best should trump SL's best!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

SL win the toss & bat first. Shreesanth in for Nehra.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Sreesanth is doing his level best to keep SL in good shape. Every time the other bowlers throttled down, he came in & conceded easy runs. Now Sanga & Mahela are chugging along. Why do we pick this guy?