https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/08/health/p ... gfooterold
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Science News

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Interesting, indeed. Hats off to the lady for her perseverance too!
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

From Wikipedia wrote:In plane geometry, the einstein problem asks about the existence of a single prototile that by itself forms an aperiodic set of prototiles, that is, a shape that can tessellate space, but only in a nonperiodic way. Such a shape is called an einstein, a play on the German words ein Stein, meaning one stone.
You must have heard of Penrose tiles which uses two kinds of tiles. Last week, David Smith, Joseph Samuel Myers, Craig S. Kaplan, and Chaim Goodman-Strauss, constructed an einstein. Here is a YouTube discussion with some of the authors where they discuss the problem and their solution.

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Reminds me ofthe novel Doctors by Eric Segal,

https://www.yahoo.com/news/catatonic-wo ... 30389.html
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Another interesting article, how liver diseases are being treated with experimental therapy using fecal pills.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ealthy-gut

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/crapsul ... ts-2427300
srini

Post by srini »

Seeing news updates that ISRO may postpone the Chandrayaan-3 to Aug 27th by assessing the situation just 2 hours before planned landing on Aug 23rd 6pm IST. If lander health and conditions of moon are deemed not favorable then it would be postponed to 27th it seems.

Now the skeptical "me" doubts if this whole assessing conditions for favorable landing is done to ensure megalomaniac Modi-Ji's gracious presence at ISRO as he had to be out of country on 23rd for BRICS summit in South Africa. Now by doing any such stupid postponement what they are not telling is the lander which is supposed to last just 14 earth days time for science experiments will lose 4 precious days if landed at the same proposed landing site or need to change landing site at the last minute to have the same 14 earth days of existence. They haven't officially said anything on their twitter updates but just letting some scientists speak to media about this alternate plan.

I already think one erstwhile superpower Russia damaged its reputation by crashing Luna-25 on to Moon by rushing their mission to land on south pole of moon just before India does. Why don't these authoritarian leaders realize that's not how science works ?!! Just to satisfy their whims and fancies, they have been putting these wonderful science missions to jeopardy.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

^^^ That is not fair, Srini. You started with a suspicion that this could be because of PM Modi's BRICS commitment, and then proceeded to take the assumption to be a fact, I think. If he was such a megalomaniac, I am sure they would have delayed the launch by 4 days, way in advance. The dates for BRICS and the dates of launch and landing of Chanrayan-3 were all known well in advance (right?).

If they are doing this just a day before the announced landing, I have to think that they really are concerned about something right now (and it is not Modi) - and that sounds rather ominous.

I will agree that with Modi, there are a lot of occasions when we feel that "if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck" (mostly because he doesn't seem to care to prevent such suspicions and goes about doing whatever he does, with a bit of arrogance or over-confidence that people will trust him anyway).

But it is very rare, if ever, that anybody shows even a speck of duck poop to establish that it actually was a duck in the end though. That is my problem.

(I say that as someone who also constantly get these same kind of suspicions as you, about PM Modi... but at the end of the day, I always end up not finding any definite evidence that can really shake my trust in his having India's interests first in his mind, even if I continue to feel that he is not always right in his analysis of what is good for India)
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Most politicians actually think that what they are doing is best for the country policy-wise. They may be stealing some money but they think that it is the cost of keeping them in power, which is best for the country. From Hitler to anyone to Modi. Rarely, do we have someone who is intelligent to know that their policies are dufus and still do them. In essence, why would they? For example, if they knew the policy was crap, they know in the long run it will be shown up. Unless the policy helps them a lot, they wont' do it.

Having said that, and one can never prove what one thinks, there can be two cases. 1. Modi thinks that Hindu-populism is good for India and not a threat to our country. In which case, one must challenge his capability. Or, 2. He thinks that this brand of populism is good for him and does not care about the country. That is he knows it is bad but for his "gaddi" he supports the majority bullying. (Or thinks that he can go to a point and not risk civil war, etc.).

Neither sounds very impressive to me.
srini

Post by srini »

>> Well you're right, they are just suspicions Jay and I will also be glad to conclusively find my suspicions wrong as they instill some confidence in me about institutions here. My suspicions can be deemed as mis guided if things turn out in 2 ways.
1.After pre landing assessment, ISRO goes ahead with its original plan of 23rd landing.
2.ISRO postpones it to 27th but Modi doesn't show up in the ISRO mission center. For gods sake he will be returning on 26th from a 4 day foreign visit for BRICS followed by Greece visit, doesn't he after all need a break?

I don't have any political leanings, i say things as i see them. I am not a blanket critic of Modi. I do appreciate the good things NDA has done to Indian space sector by allowing startups and private investment thereby creating a sustainable eco system for it in India...these startups industry is contributing to ISRO's pilot science projects and manufacturing the components and instruments locally which is all good and all that ISRO needs to do is do technology transfer where needed and monitor work progress of the milestones.

My suspicions are not limited just to Modi, i suspect Congress party and the UPA rule from 2004-14.I suspect UPA deliberately ignored manufacturing sector to allow China get ahead in the game. Raghuram Rajan had been prime advocate of focus on services at the cost of manufacturing, he and UPA may have received kickbacks from Chinese Communist Party for being helpful.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^If anything, Modi can get higher mileage by watching it overseas with the BRICS leaders in attendance. More to be gained there than doing it in India.
srini

Post by srini »

>> Athithee, if he does that he would be called a statesman. But he is mere 'politician', he won't do a thing unless his electorate is watching him on widescreen do it.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^why couldn’t he share the screen and let the electorate watch him? No matter where he is, he is only watching a screen too. It’s not like he’s in a parallel spacecraft watching the landing.
srini

Post by srini »

Duh.. you are too naïve to be a politician (at least in India :p ) because that's not how a politician does Photo-Ops. Your physical presence is very much required and you have to be seen along with the ISRO director and congratulate them (or hug and console them if it fails!) to take part of the credit from a successful mission.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I fully understand. What I am not is a didactic conspiracy theorist. I’ll just leave it at that. All I want is the mission to be successful this time. It’s an incredible feat for the nation. We all know where the credit lies. I’m not naive to not understand how the Indian politics work.
srini

Post by srini »

People used to write off about lot of suspicions as conspiracy theories until wikileaks kept lot of those conversations and evidence in public domain. I will also leave it at that!