Multiple identities in an anonymous forum

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
10nis_ace

Re: Multiple identities in an anonymous forum

Post by 10nis_ace »

LOL on that one Jai.
Though #1 should be easy to fix for Dhruv. Put the IP address check along with the user-id check in the 'Applaud/Smite' validation routine. There would be ways to bypass that too, as someone can easily simulate a new ip address using various available ways. But at least that will be a good thing to have on board.
Last edited by 10nis_ace on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

jai_in_canada wrote: Top 5 Signs that one individual is using 3 User Ids
:notworthy:

It's time that you added five more signs to your list and post in the Top Ten thread.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

I couldn't think of 5 more signs that an individual has three ids!!  :( :oops:
I racked all three of my imaginary brains!!
puneets

Post by puneets »

It's time that you added five more signs to your list and post in the Top Ten thread.
BSharma - So you will not allow top 5 lists to be posted there :(
just kidding :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jai_in_canada wrote: The real problem will be when the same person has multiple ids and they start arguing with each other.  :kookoo:
Thanks for this.  I am getting ideas!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

This thread is turning into pure greatness :) ... LOL at that list, jai.  Jay
puneets

Post by puneets »

This thread is turning into pure greatness  ... LOL at that list, jai.  Jay
I don't think this was written by Jay!
Varma

Post by Varma »

Its     sad  that some members  ,   who hardly    ever had   multiple identities  ,  can   down   grade  a few members  who have   been in top  four  of this   forum  in     successfully   maintaining  multiple identities    for  the last   several  years  and  in  that  area has   defeated all  other members including   certain  ccs and cjs .  Its   further  shocking   that the    people  who  are    knowledgeable   and   are   mature   have  not  only   ignored this   tirade  against  this memeber(s) , but also    joined   the  bandwagon  by  basing   their   opinion  on  some proven  facts , reliable information and   undeniable  style and  pattern.

When    one   of  our   serious  members    is   wearing   several   identities  ,  according   to  me   (s)he   is   best in doing so  ,  fighting  different   people on   different   threads  and    supporting   his / her other   identities'   views  while  doing so  ,  it is     disturbing  to see  some  forum    members   try   to pull  him  /  her down  just  because    last few  posts  have  been  only  too  revealing  .

(S)He   is   one  of  the  brightest  unisex   member of the forum  ,  according to  me  (s)he  is the  brightest .   but i  will  call  him / her  one  of   the    brightest   because    many   forum    members   are  ,  some    how  ,  not    sympathetic   to   him / her _  may   be   they   see  him / her    as   a  threat in  not    letting  them    express  their    realistic  views  on   his / her favourite player .  There   are  so many    other things I   can   point out  but I  wish some     senior  members  who  know  facts  should    come   forward  and   stop  this  tirade against  him / her / them.

;)

- Varma
Last edited by Varma on Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

This thread is turning into pure greatness  ... LOL at that list, jai.   Jay
I don't think this was written by Jay!
ROTFLAMO! .. I do use LOL, though rather very rarely, puneets .. Yeah I am pushing 45, but I have been on the internet from about as far back as when Al Gore invented it :) ... From late 1986 and the usenet days .. Heck, I was the first (and really the only one) to report the second tied test in history to the internet, within an hour of the event, having heard a shortwave radio commentary! ..  So, sometimes I remember the more youthful days and stuff like LOL coming out first :)

I have even been an impersonator on the internet once.  Created a userID called "Sonia Singh" and actually had a ton of fun with a few desi grad student guys at UT Austin around that time.   Left hints on the internet discussion forums that the nonexistent lady was interested in one of those guys, the guys really started searching for the girl, etc etc :) ...  Those were the early days when guys did not even think of impersonation etc.

My biggest prank was in about 1996 in the early days of football recruiting services on the internet.  I created a nonexistent bluechip high school player called "Gotch Yarbrough" whom Texas was supposedly recruiting (but to cover up for how nobody had heard of the guy, I said it was because he is a super talent from a smaller school in British Columbia, Canada!).   Put it on the internet as rumor.    One recruiting guru, David Garvin in Texas, bought the thing hook, line and sinker - and had it at his phone call-in number for a few hours "there is a breaking story of a bluechip recruit called Gotch Yarbrough" etc etc ...   It took him a few hours to realize his folly by looking at that funny name once more, but the internet was ablaze by then.   I felt really bad for Garvin, but I really did not expect anyody to buy my prank.  Anyway, Garvin hardly survived in recruiting much longer. 

Oh yeah, I have done stuff like that .... :)

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
puneets

Post by puneets »

Varma  :notworthy:  :notworthy:
suresh

Post by suresh »

Great stuff -- it is fun reading it early in the morning! Varma is awarded an A-grade for effort and Jai gets an A for creativity (yep, quiz week is coming up).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Varma .. highlarious, like some say in the US :) .. Jay
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Varma, your post is bang on!!  :rofl:

And, Jay, shame on you for impersonating Sonia Singh!! :D  My brother in law went to UTA around the same time that you did - but before he married my sister.  I'll ask him if he knew a Sonia Singh!!  :devil: 
Imagine if he says "yes."  :roll:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Here I am sitting in the Intensive Care Unit and laughing away and the nurses are wondering what happened to a usually serious looking doc.

This thread is rocking.  woohoo

Thanks Sunitarao for giving me a hearty laugh.  I owe you one.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Gotch Yarbrough. Most excellent, and very reminiscent of a Bart Simpson phone call.

I thought I was an Internet old timer, but Jay has me well beat. I was first active on rec.sport.cricket in the early nineties but that would have been long after the tied test.

On topic - whatever happened to colinjones?