Indians in US College Tennis

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indians in US College Tennis

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^Did you mean as a doubles prospect where he is #3? NCAA doubles players do well on tour quite often soon after they start.

#53 in singles at the age of 23 doesn't generally indicate anything more than a journeyman in singles.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

What about Samir Banerjee? He seems to have disappeared after joining Stanford.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

He didn't do too well against the evil guys :-) but the good guys won the tussle even though the 32nd ranked Samir dropped his match.

Big Slam on the Farm
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Said by someone with a school who has tree as its mascot vs. the majestic grizzly bear.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Hey, no tree, no food. :-) Bears have been a nuisance throughout human history while trees have been our friend nourishing us. You like things that eat us or things that give us food? :p Bears are evil I say. Try to hug a real one for starters and you'll see. :-)
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:29 pm He didn't do too well against the evil guys :-) but the good guys won the tussle even though the 32nd ranked Samir dropped his match.

Big Slam on the Farm
Ah, I am with you then! :D

(my dad is a cardinal. I so wanted my kid to go there but hopefully for grad school)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:Offtopic: While I generally root for the good guys, I have found the behavior of some of the Stanford fans to be exceedingly snotty and deplorable many times lacking class. I condone good-natured ribbing but condescension and showing off is really awful and I can't support that. In reality, Berkely is a great school and I like the culture and ethos of that university. When, it comes to sports, then, of course, we need to support the Trees instead of the grizzly Grizzlies. :-)
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:09 am :Offtopic: While I generally root for the good guys, I have found the behavior of some of the Stanford fans to be exceedingly snotty and deplorable many times lacking class. I condone good-natured ribbing but condescension and showing off is really awful and I can't support that. In reality, Berkely is a great school and I like the culture and ethos of that university. When, it comes to sports, then, of course, we need to support the Trees instead of the grizzly Grizzlies. :-)
Was the spelling of "Berkely" deliberate? :D
The reason I ask is Texas Longhorns make fun of us Texas Aggies by calling us "aggy". If course the Aggies have their own ways to diss the 'horns.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sanjay wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:33 pm Was the spelling of "Berkely" deliberate? :D
Sorry, no, a typo.
The reason I ask is Texas Longhorns make fun of us Texas Aggies by calling us "aggy". If course the Aggies have their own ways to diss the 'horns.
:-)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:51 pm ^^^Did you mean as a doubles prospect where he is #3? NCAA doubles players do well on tour quite often soon after they start.
#53 in singles at the age of 23 doesn't generally indicate anything more than a journeyman in singles.
I was thinking that he would end up in the top-25 by next year (this is his first year at the top division level)... That, coupled with his #1 ranking in doubles, would indicate a poor-man's Mahesh Bhupathi type potential. Top-350 in singles and top-75 doubles by age 26 or 27, maybe?

But DK Suresh Ekambaram has had a terrible March and has lost 5 or 6 of his last 8-9 matches, though to some top players, and has fallen to #90 in the latest rankings this week. His is still part of the #1 ranked doubles team with a 20-3 record though. I think he will recover in his singles rankings too. Can't say much more till he plays out this college season.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:42 am
arjun2761 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:51 pm ^^^Did you mean as a doubles prospect where he is #3? NCAA doubles players do well on tour quite often soon after they start.
I was thinking that he would end up in the top-25 by next year (this is his first year at the top division level)... That, coupled with his #1 ranking in doubles, would indicate a poor-man's Mahesh Bhupathi type potential. Top-350 in singles and top-75 doubles by age 26 or 27, maybe?
Remembered another one who did well in college tennis post Somdev, Saketh Myneni. I think he was better going to top 30 or so in NCAA singles rankings. Ended up with career high of 137 in singles and 74 in doubles in ATP ( not yet done in doubles).

It will be great of Suresh can get close to what Saketh although it will be not be easy to go that level in singles.

Maybe too early till he some more pro events to judge where he is now.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Team rankings change quite a bit in college tennis. Kids graduate, coaches change and the transfer portal makes it easy for good players to leave if they are unhappy. Florida was so high a year ago and after Bryan Shelton left, they are no longer ranked high. The extra year Covid requirement eligibility will also be relaxed next year. I think the conference (big 5), depth of the bench and the position that a player plays on the team matter a lot. The most important of course is the coach and the support staff. I see rankings fluctuating every week and honestly they don’t mean much.

Of all the teams that I saw at the recent indoor nationals, I was most impressed by Ohio State. I was disappointed watching Duke and USC teams. The quality of play was subpar and they were loud and making terrible line calls. Harvard is winning quite a bit but I was surprised to see how hands off Sanam and Rueb were in the practices and matches. They recruit well but I don’t see players developing much over the years. All great college level teams but pro tennis is a different ball game. Those first two years in college are super crucial for development if one has pro aspirations. Can’t go by college ranking and extrapolate.

I personally also think Nishesh should get out of college if he is serious about pro tennis. Tough to balance academics at Stanford and high level tennis.

Anyway just my two cents.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yes, team rankings don't matter a whole lot. U. of Texas has the #1 and #2 ranked singles players and four players in the top-51 ranks, but is only ranked #12 as a team, while Wake Forest U with the #22 player and Dakshineshwar Suresh at #90 is ranked 4th. Because WF has 4 players in the top-105 singles rankings and they almost always take the doubles point because they have the #1 ranked doubles team in Suresh and Coons.

Individual rankings in singles and individual doubles team rankings are rather legit though. I was only making a guess based on the expectation of Suresh making it to top-25 after NEXT year after 2 seasons at the Division-1 level, along with top doubles performance that he could become a poor man's Mahesh. Or maybe like Saketh...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

jayakris wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:42 am But DK Suresh Ekambaram has had a terrible March and has lost 5 or 6 of his last 8-9 matches, though to some top players, and has fallen to #90 in the latest rankings this week. His is still part of the #1 ranked doubles team with a 20-3 record though. I think he will recover in his singles rankings too. Can't say much more till he plays out this college season.
He has had a nicer run in the last 5 matches, with wins over #50, #92, #104 etc... He has now moved back up to #54 in the rankings yesterday. I am glad to see that he is getting to play a lot of quality matches against these top-100 college players.

He and Holden Koons continue to remain as the #1 doubles team. Me likey :)