Indian Premier League (IPL)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Premier League (IPL)

Post by prasen9 »

Franchises are not idiots. They will promote foreign allrounders if they perform. Everyone has biases. Maybe the foreign allrounders should be told to perform or dropped.

Umran and Avesh Khan need to figure out how to bowl in domestics before being rewarded. They are crap at the domestic level and not equal to the others I talk about below. Charak is even more crap than these two. We should not confuse these different cases.

Krishna should get fit and then we should try to develop him. He should be close to being ready and has done well in ODIs, etc.

Arshdeep is ready for T20Is and should be given a good, long run.

Siraj should be tried in T20Is and is an automatic in the ODIs, I think.

It's just been five matches. But, we see after Shami, Deshpande, Siraj, and Arshdeep, unfortunately, Harshal has been the best pace bowler followed by Bhuvi. None of the others have done well. The juniors are getting lots of chances and Umran perhaps is the one who is getting close to learning how to bowl. Show us that you can bowl in the IPL and then we will consider them for the national team.

How good is this Deshpande guy? He seems like a wicket-taker but gets hit.
Rajkumar Sharma
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Bhuvi & Harshal has been worst bowlers in present time, they picked wickets but have leaked high amount of runs. Harshal depends on slower tracks to make himself effective with slowers and cutters else he provide 2-3 sixes easily in an over .Bhuvi has lost high amount of pace and has been getting hit in important overs where he was best around 2017-19. Siraj should never be tried in T20Is, he is doing well in longer format and should continue playing 2 format, should'nt be injury proned. Franchises & Captains have huge role in developing an allrounder, Pandya & Jadeja are too big examples. You can't defend promoting Russel based on his ability as he has done nothing for the franchise in last 3 years,whereas Shardul has shown glimpses of improvement with his batting its the management he needs to provide him the stage to evolve as an allrounder
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Would love to see Umran, Avesh, Charak getting smashed by bowling at 150+ then 120s Bhuvi & Harshals who has got nothing left to give anything more in national colours
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

To each his or her own. I am sure you would love that. Unfortunately, I do not have that particular kink. I actually love seeing a slower bowler like McGrath flummox everyone. Brute force does not tickle me. Skill under adversity does. That said, even more than the beauty of bowling, I care badly about winning games. So, in that aspect, I do not care about people bowling fast or slow. I care about people getting wickets and keeping runs down. The bottom-line. On that account, unfortunately the headless chicken bowlers Umran, Avesh, etc. are getting smashed worse than Bhuvi and Harshal. How bad are they to be able to bowl that fast due to brute force and yet get hit by our domestic batsmen? Sorry, I get no joy seeing a very fast ball going to the boundary outside the leg stump despite a full length dive by the keeper. But, if you do, more power to you. Umran and Avesh are your men. Enjoy them while the rest of us weep.
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Mcgrath in Bhuvi & Harshal :-) and in other Indian bowlers :D Its a brutal wish. Sorry i dont want to see your failures playing WC after WC in the name of so called " experience "and giving those rubbish excuses on getting punched in knock outs. By the way failures have already made whole nation weep in every WC exit since 2011 and now the nation needs a change. 2007 & 2011 WC wins came when tough changes were made by MSD shattering dreams of playing WCs of many experienced ones .Again an environment is growing up through upcomming WTC final like it had been with every WCs in last decade. Hope Rohit takes a brave decision and give some peace to the weeping nation
Rajkumar Sharma

What a League :-) Marcus Stoinis is getting prepared for WC by getting bat & ball whereas Prerak Mankad one of the upcomming allround talent is warming in the bench :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Absolutely, I don't want to see failures either. I don't want to see not only international failures but current domestic failures such as Umran and Avesh either. Replacing international failures with domestic failures is going backwards.

McGrath in Bhuvi is your creation. I never made any claims about them together except that these bowlers are not brute-force bowlers. My point is that I love seeing bowlers who can bowl not just brute force hurlers without brains running in and being hit out. Bhuvi at least gave us 23.96@6.96. I'd take that against some blind hurlers.

McGrath was just a point. I never said Bhuvi or Harshal are their class. The point is I do not care how much of a brute a bowler is. I care about them being bowlers. Bhuvi is perhaps 0.5 McGrath and Harshal is 0.25 McGrath calibre with respect to bowling. But, the point of bringing McGrath in was showing that there can be different types of bowlers. Just going by raw speed would have left McGrath on the benches. I do not care if the bowler is fast or slow. Fast failures are no good to me. Junk them all and only let in those who succeed in domestics.

Changing 0.5 McGrath with 0.25 Bhuvi will get us nowhere.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

If we really have to promote untested or failed domestic players, take a chance on someone with some class, etc. who is an allrounder. Hangargekar has been good in the three matches. It is still too early but we should keep an eye on him.

The best bowlers so far have been: Siraj, Shami, Piyush, Jadeja, and Hangar. Unfortunately, Hangar's batting has been piss poor in FC, List-A, and T20Is but let's hope it is just small sample size and he will improve. If not, and we want a spinner who can bat Axar has been great. Or pure bowler: Bishnoi. Backup pacer would be Arshdeep but he cannot bat. And, we can handle only so many of these bowlers who are useless with the bat. We have to go down to Harshal Patel. Hardik has been bad in this IPL so far.

The night is still young.

But, KKR is total crap. :-(
Rajkumar Sharma

prasen9 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:29 pmBut, KKR is total crap. :-(
KKR isn't crap but their team management that includes Pandit, Nayar is totally crap, they still think Russell & Narine will perform like before and have'nt figured out that opposition has found their weakness and in last 3 season they have been a total flop show.Russell struggles against spinners and for pacers idea has been to bowl at fourth stump line, Narine isnt a same bowler after changed action. Both Russell & Narine can't be automatic choice in KKR playing XI anymore. David Wiese has been doing well in other league can't warm in benches based on Russell's reputation, just like Delhi getting destroyed by playing Shaw. Gurbaz, Weise, Roy, Lockie should be their foreigner choice. Mandeep & Anukul average players you can't drop them for Narayan Jagadeesan. Vaibhav Arora & Harshit Rana are good bowlers should get chance instead of Umesh
& Kulwant Khejroliya
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Not only in KKR, now even in national team reputation rules over performance and selectors is ready to provide 50 to 100 matches to them. Out of form players loves to spend time in bench with national team then playing domestic cricket. Yes Prithvi Shaw, Ryan Parag can smash the bowl for that they will play whole IPL season

Pace bowling allrounders should be developed through A team.At present we dont a one dimmensional talents in top order.
Rajkumar Sharma

Trent Boult is very much underrated bowler. A bowler who doesnt needs condition to swing the ball.
Mukherjee Babu

Post by Mukherjee Babu »

Like the national team tried & tested ones are looting their franchises. Umesh Yadav getting chances after chances whereas tall talented Arora & Rana not getting a single game.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I agree that KKR is playing washed-up players and they should be dropped. But, they did an awful job in lining up replacements. That is, not only do they not have good players, they also do not have promising, young replacements. Basically, people who have done well in the other domestic tournaments. For example, Harshit Rana. He has been absolute crap in the two matches he got. Over 50 runs/wicket and over 10 runs/over. We don't have any domestic players who are ready? That is someone who has played 1-2 years of domestics (or more) and shown promise? Rana has done well in FC cricket but only got 5 matches. And 2 T20 matches where he has been smashed. In other words, the management has done an awful job identifying talent, deciding when to shed old junk, as well as failing to identifying promising youngsters. Having said that, I'd say crap as he is, put Harshit in. Maybe he will figure it out. The oldies are junk anyway. For the next season, get some promising backups to plan for contingencies.

Vaibhav Arora is one good, young player and should be given chances.

I see no evidence not to say that KKR is total crap.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Old man Dhoni seems to be captaining well. Old batters Dhawan and Rahane are playing phenomenally well. The best leggie has been Piyush Chawla, another oldie.

I am not calling for any of these to be brought into the team but the point is that the youngsters should not expect anything to be handed over to them. Only NTTV is performing very well and I think he will be given a chance. I hope it is not in the 15 carrying drinks, etc. type of chance but a sustained chance for 15 matches or so to let him develop.

The Impact XI so far (in order of impact/match without including those who have not played at least 3 matches): Dhawan, Siraj, Rahane, Piyush, Shami, Arshdeep, Axar, Jadeja, Ashwin, NTTV, Mohit. All but NTTV are India or ex-India players. The new guys cannot expect to fail match after match (although several have not been given consistent chances) and expect an India cap to be handed over to them. As I said, if you fail in domestics, you have pretty much no chance to succeed in internationals. Ishant and Hangar were the others who have only played 1 and 2 matches respectively. Why is Hangar not being played or given chances? He is a very promising allrounder (or can be).

Going by batting/bowling separately.

Batting: Dhawan, Rahane, NTTV, V. Iyer, Gaikwad, Gill, Yashasvi.

Apart from three oldies, we have a crop of young batters: NTTV, Rutu, Gill and Yashasvi. All very talented and deserve full runs. We should throw out the crappy oldies and try these folks.

Pacers: Siraj, Arshdeep, Shami. Best bowler who can bat a bit: Harshal.

The young bowlers have been all crap. Failure should not be rewarded. Unfortunately, Harshal is still the best among bowlers who can bat a bit and bowl pace. We need to find some good pace-bowling allrounders. Hangar should be given a full run. Is he injured already?

Spinners: Piyush, Jadeja, Varun, Ashwin

No young spinners doing that well. Varun should be given a chance but given our pace-bowlers who cannot bat, Ashwin may be a better bet than Varun.

Again, I am not saying that these are the only ones who should be selected but the point is that instead of going ga ga over failed bowlers who are brutes and can hurl the ball fast, we should focus on our young batter crop, who have performed relatively well. While trying to find pacers who can bat and some young wrist-spinners too.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Is Virendra Sharma the worst umpire! His calls have been pathetic. He probably has the highest number reversal rate

Of all the lefties, Jaiswal seems to be the pick of the lot. He needs to be part of T 20

Rohit Sharma should retire from white ball cricket

Too many injuries to our bowlers, Bumrah, Khalid, Mohsin , Chahar. I am worried if Siraj is next. They are getting overworked. Something is wrong with the set up.