ICC Twenty20 World Cup, South Africa (11 - 24th September, 2007)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ICC Twenty20 World Cup, South Africa (11 - 24th September, 2007)

Post by jayakris »

I was all excited thinking NY Times carried a big cricket article on the sports page or something, written by somebody in the US, but was quickly disappointed that this was written by someone from Delhi and was published as "Memo from Delhi" in the asia-pacific section - ie, just a "time-pass" article for some curious onlooker to read while stuck at the airport or something.

S O R R Y.  Cricket is not going to hit US media - there isn't one writer in any newspaper who knows anything to write on it, or can get something published if he/she wrote something.

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Sorry little off-topic, today I recieved mail with this message ...  :Offtopic:

JO JEET TA HI REHTA HAI WO SIKANDER,
JO HAARKAR JEET TA HAI WO BAZIGAR,
AUR JO HAARTE HAARTE JEET JATA HAI WO HAI APPNA " JOGINDER "
Sathya

Post by Sathya »

Jaydeep, can you also put the meaning of this or at least pm me the meaning so that I can enjoy.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Wow, sathya is worse than me in Hindi??? .. You are the first one I know who is worse than me!! ..  Even I understood that one.

Jay

PS:  These should go in the T20 jokes thread in chit chat, but as it is an unmoderated forum, we cannot merge any posts to a thread there (can only move a whole set of posts as a new thread there, as I did yesterday) ..
Last edited by jayakris on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

This news item is interesting, i think the hockey players have got a point.
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... sh/221388/
Even though, one could give counterarguments like they were playing at home, wasn't against the top European teams, but still thrashing S Korea 7-1 should any day merit some reward !!!  :roll:
P.S.: Jay, not sure which thread as it crosses hockey and cricket.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

There is a discussion going on inthe "Misc. news on Indian hockey" thread already .. Scorll down at index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=212583.135

Jay
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Despite the success of the World Twenty20, the ICC has insisted that it will not replace the 50-over format and that the limit of seven Twenty20 matches per Test-playing nation each year will still carry on despite its popularity.

Speed plays down Twenty20 hype 
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

:damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

See what I have been complaining about all along?  These guys are so out of touch with reality, that it is not even funny.   This is asinine.  Seven Twenty20s a year?? What kind of crap is that.   How many times can cricket get a golden chance to take the next step and lose it???
The Twenty20 version has, however, appealed to a wider fan-base and has been widely covered in both USA and China, according to Speed.
What planet is he living in ??? Widely covered in the USA.  Yeah right; and flying monkeys exist.
"It's the perfect vehicle for cricket to develop in new countries. This gives us another opportunity, a different vehicle to go after those different markets. "Cricket is already a niche sport in the USA. There are lots of Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, West Indies playing cricket, so we can build on that. Twenty20 is a great opportunity to do that."
Blah, blah.   Like they are going to get anywhere selling a game played by non-white guys.  Sorry, I have to be non-PC on this.   This man needs a dose of reality.

Jay
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Vested interests dude. vested commercial interests.  figure it out.... :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Just get those commercial interests to get "vested" in Twenty20.  What is the big deal?

It can't be too difficult to play 25 T20s instead of 15 ODIs and have the same airtime for making TV money, and a lot more chance to sell it in India which is where the money is now.

May be he is just saying this to make sure that the currently schedule ODIs do not go down in flames (because it is really bound to happen very fast, because that is such boring cricket).

Jay
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

It may not be that easy to switch the "vested" interests...

I think there are some underlying TV broadcast contracts with BCCI especially, that specifies how many ODIs to be played (minimum) over the next 4 or 5 years. ICC may also have some TV contracts related to their ODI World Cups.

Those contracts will definitely force ICC to maintain a minimum number of ODIs per year, which effectively precludes more Twenty-20 matches.  i.e) BCCI/ ICC's own greed in obtaining those multi-year multi-million dollar contracts may work against them and help boost the yet to be born ICL's prospects!!  Ironic isn't it?!

:)

cheers
-kujo

Edits
ps: Actually, it would be ironic only if ICC wants to promote 20-20 and can't do that, because of their own contracts.
Last edited by kujo on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Definitely ironic.  But shortsightedness in cricket officialdom has never been in doubt.  Jay
puneets

Post by puneets »

Have a look at this...disgusting, but not unexpected.
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1123656

MUMBAI: One would have thought that the 15 cricketers who brought India the glory at the Twenty20 World Cup were the heroes being felicitated at the Wankhede Stadium, but a look at the dias would have suggested otherwise.

The front row was filled with BCCI top brass and Maharashtra state ministers with skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni the only Team India member finding a place among the 'elite'.

akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

Not a bit surprised  :roll:. For those of us who believe sree is all adrenalin, check what he said about the presence of mind in the catch he took:
Reliving the catch of Misbah-ul-Haq, which was the most decisive moment in final, pacer S Sreesanth said he moved a bit earlier which helped him take the catch without any problem.
"When he (Misbah) moved, I also moved back. The improvement in fielding was because of Robin (Singh) Sir," he said.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

akmohanty wrote: "When he (Misbah) moved, I also moved back. The improvement in fielding was because of Robin (Singh) Sir," he said.[/i]
I don't understand.. how can he move back outside the circle when Misbah also moved (Presuming Misbah moved before Joginder completed his delivery action)... Assuming that he was at the circle (when Joginder was running to bowl), going back would have taken him outside the circle (which would result in no-ball) :kookoo: