ICC Twenty20 World Cup, South Africa (11 - 24th September, 2007)

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

10nis_ace

Re: ICC Twenty20 World Cup, South Africa (11 - 24th September, 2007)

Post by 10nis_ace »

Puneet wrote:
Ok..if this is your metric, then also have a look at Sreesanth and Bhajji's figures in the finals.

Sree - 4 overs, 44 runs , 1 wkt,
Bhajji - 3 overs, 36 runs, 0 wkt.
In terms of averages for the whole of this T20 WC tournament, Jogi is the last in recognized bowlers just above Yuvi and Viru.

India bowling averages:

Player Mat Overs Mdns Runs Wkts BBI Ave Econ SR 4 5 Ct St

RP Singh 7 24.0 0 152 12 4/13 12.66 6.33 12.0 1 0 1 0
IK Pathan 7 22.0 1 149 10 3/16 14.90 6.77 13.2 0 0 0 0
Harbhajan Singh 7 23.0 0 182 7 2/24 26.00 7.91 19.7 0 0 3 0
S Sreesanth 7 23.0 2 183 6 2/12 30.50 7.95 23.0 0 0 2 0
AB Agarkar 3 8.0 0 75 1 1/35 75.00 9.37 48.0 0 0 0 0
Joginder Sharma 4 14.3 0 138 4 2/20 34.50 9.51 21.7 0 0 2 0
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

jayakris wrote: SaniaFan - you may be missing the point that "coming through and doing what it takes to win in the end" matters a lot.  A *whole* heck of a lot, even when luck may have something to do with it.  Of course it does not give anybody a ticket to be in the team for ever.  Only the right to get more opportunities to be tested.   You must recognize that there is more to all this than plain playing abilities (especially in Twenty20).

Jay
I may have missed a point but it seems you have missed the whole line. Where did I say that it does not matter to do it in the end but we have to also see that whether peson has really done it or it has just happened.
puneets
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by puneets »

In terms of averages for the whole of this T20 WC tournament, Jogi is the last in recognized bowlers just above Yuvi and Viru.
Tennis_ace -

He's the FIFTH bowler. He's in the team as an all-rounder..to replace Agarkar (who gave 19 runs in the 19th over against Pak). He's advertised to be a hitter, a better batsman than Agarkar.

I had already posted these stats yesterday, and we even had a small discussion.

If one were to go purely by stats (which in itself is a futile exercise), then Jogi will give 6 more runs (in his 4 overs) than Sreesanth. So if Jogi really knows how to whack the ball, then there is not a great deal left to distinguish them.
Last edited by puneets on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I think atithee is right we should have a separate thread to discuss this(whether there should be changes in the world cup winning team or not). This thread should be left alone to enjoy the success of Indian team. Infact all the post reagrding the discussion on Sreesanth and Joginder sharma should move to the new thread
puneets

Post by puneets »

-- End of discussion.

I'll take my argument with 'Born a Libran' offline 'cos I see him everyday.  He's a very good friend of mine and we watch most of the matches together (at his place) ;)
SriramP

Post by SriramP »

I was watching a discussion on CNN-IBN (including Chris Cairns, Ayaz Memon, Rajdeep Sardesai among others) before the finals. Each panelist was asked his 'defining moments' of the Twenty20 tournament, and some of them were interesting.

For me , it was Sreesanth's double blow in the SF and his reaction after getting Hayden.
puneets

BBC 'distorts' Shoaib's post-match comments

Post by puneets »

According to the BBC article, Shoaib said:
"I want to thank everyone back home in Pakistan and around the world - sorry we didn't win, but we did give 100%."

while in reality it was

"I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

Very poor and biased reporting from BBC, and an uneducated comment by Shoaib Malik.
He might have said it under pressure, but you never know
Last edited by puneets on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SriramP

Re: BBC 'distorts' Shoaib's post-match comments

Post by SriramP »

There were a lot of comments written on Mukul Kesavan's cricinfo blog, where he raised the issue.

I am among the ones who would give him the benefit of doubt. I am sure he meant Pakistanis. It would be better if he speaks in Urdu especially when an Indian/Pakistani is interviewing so that he can convey what he means.
Last edited by SriramP on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I thought about posting this comment included in the preview of the final on the BBC site, but didn't.  Since this new thread started, I am posting it now.  I regard BBC highly, but this didn't make sense then or now.  Bringing back Agarkar and dropping Rohit?  Why, oh why would anyone think of that?

India could bring back Dinesh Karthik and Ajit Agarkar for the Sharmas - Rohit and Joginder - but their main concern is batsman Virender Sehwag, who has a similar problem to Nazir and will undergo a pre-match check.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

What was amazing was Nazir had this groin injury during semifinals (when he used a runner) and they had the gall to request for runner during finals!! And India played it smart getting Yusuf Pathan instead of Sehwag...
Born a Libran

Post by Born a Libran »

I am actually giving up on this discussion about JS.  I have not seen him bat and can not discuss anything on his batting abilities.  On his bowling abilities, he is a 2-3 overs middle overs man in a 20 over set up and a 5-6 overs man in a 50 over set up on average.  Off course, things change when the conditions support either him or the spinners more.  This is my impression though.
indiansportsfan

Post by indiansportsfan »

What is mind-boggling about JS though is that he along with Ranadeb Bose were the leading wicket-takers in Ranji the past season. And that too at an average of 15 runs per wicket which in any standard of cricket is stupendous!! And both bowlers are of the same dibbly dobbly military medium pace variety. This can only mean one of 2 things:
1) Either the level of Ranji has deteriorated so much that even bowlers of this calibre are so successful, or else
2) We have started preparing (overly) green tracks for Ranji, where just keeping a steady outside-the-off stump line with a little swing will fetch you wickets.

I suspect its more the 2nd case, in which case I think it will be better if we slow down on green tracks, but instead focus on more firm and bouncy tracks, that will help us in playing in AUS and RSA. Bowlers like JS and Ranadeb will come a big cropper in these countries because of their lack of pace and bounce.
ssp

Post by ssp »

To be successful in Australia & SA we definitely need fast, bouncy pitches in domestic cricket.

If Joginder & Ranadeb were the most successful bowlers than standards have certainly slipped!

India's biggest weakness is playing fast bowling abroad. That's why we have so few  series wins in Tests, but in the last 5-10 we have at last produced good pace bowlers who have given us a chance compared to the 60s & 70s when we had Abid Ali, Madan Lal, Solkar & even Gavaskar opening the bowling!
puneets

Post by puneets »

Todyay's issue of New York TImes has an article on the fast-paced 20-20 cricket:

If It’s Hip, Fast and Furious, Is It Cricket?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/world ... ref=slogin
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Quote from New York TImes article above
Much was made of the fact that the captain, Mr. Dhoni, grew up in an uncelebrated eastern city called Ranchi. The batsman S. Sreesanth, it was said, defied cricket manners by being unusually aggressive. The bowler Joginder Sharma was celebrated as the son of a small shopkeeper who could afford to buy no more than a cloth ball for his son.
you mean "bowler S. Sreesanth" and "tennis ball"? :)
Last edited by kujo on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.