Sourav Ganguly - One of our Greatest Captains!

As the other sports forums seem to have taken old to some respect, well here is a cricket forum. NOTE: This forum will be heavily moderated and can be revoked at any time is discussions go out of hand.

Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Ganguly's omission from the team - your opinion

Post by Sandeep »

I agree with PKBasu, but in the whole episode I didn't understand why Dalmia is supporting Ranbir? He is the one who made him president.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Very well said PKBasu. Exactly my thoughts but you have put it in a better manner.

These Ganguly bashers go to any extent to bring him down. In the whole episode I am astonished that no one ever criticized Chappel or Bhogle for their unprofessional behaviour.

Shibi I don't know if you have read this, if you didn't please do read.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s119/st81551.htm
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

This guy Anil is writing some super articles on Sportsnetwork. Another one bang on target: -

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s119/st81600.htm

Shibi this is for you: -
As coach, Chappell is not authorized to change the team captain mid-stream and as a long-time veteran in cricket he should have been well aware of that. That is the prerogative of the BCCI's selection committee, as chairman of selectors Kiran More has re-iterated after the news broke.
Away from the eyes of media, Chappell has been churning up tensions within the team that increasingly make it look like a disjoint team, in stark contrast to the unified group built up by captain Sourav Ganguly for the last five years.

Constant complaints to the BCCI about the team, and a now familiar sourpuss look at most press conferences, are doing him no good. Nor is his lack of man-management skills helping to build team spirit.
shibi

Post by shibi »

PKBasu wrote:Shibi is indulging in the sort of distortion that the Indian press revels in.
I.
I know there are many ardent Ganguly fans out here and PKBasu is surely one of them. So I am not surprised by such comments.

The goings-on in the team meetings/ private talks are not for the whole world to know. For Harsha to ask that question, it is clear that someone had leaked the things to him. Ganguly could have easily refused to answer the question instead of suggesting that it is true. The whole episode suggests that it was well planned. And one doesn't have to be a sooth-sayer to know whom Ganguly was referring to.

If Ganguly has had any complaints against Chappel he should have taken it up with BCCI rather than telling it to the public. That’s my point. I am not saying that Chappel was right but something that happened in private should have been kept private for the sake of the team. If this incident had happened with any other team, it would have been his end as captain. But in India, he will prosper at least till Dalmia is in power.

Shibi
shibi

Post by shibi »

nothingnew wrote:
There is nothing much happened and it is only press which is making a big issue out of it. I mean never Ganguly mentioned that it was Chappel who suggested him.
It was quite clear who he was referring to.
Shibi since you said this let me ask you, which portion of Ganguly's speech you thought reflected that Chappel asked him to do so? Right from Dravid to Ranbir, it could be anyone. What made you think that it is only Chappel?
Anyone who follows Indian cricket knows that no indian administrator/ manager has the the courage to even suggest such a thing to Ganguly. So by elimination, its can be none other but Chappel.
This was your quote now . It was the same you who said this earlier: -
What's wrong with that, considering Ganguly's dreadful form?
Considering Ganguly's form, Chappel's suggestion was quite valid and was in the greater interest of the team. But considering the fact was Ganguly was chosen as captain for the tour, Ganguly had the right to play, which he did.

Shibi
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Considering Ganguly's form, Chappel's suggestion was quite valid and was in the greater interest of the team
Chappel's suggestiong is valid if he was Chappel the cricketer. But now he is Chappel the coach and it is silly on his part to say things which affect players and teams moral.

Wright also coached India and there were some differences between him and Ganguly (Ganguly wasn't in form even at that time) but everything was dealt in a professional manner. There is something seriously wrong with Chappel.
shibi

Post by shibi »

Sandeep, Wright and Chappel are two different personalities. Wright was softspoken and preferred to stay in the background. Chappel has a strong personality and likes to make known what he expects from the team. Only time will tell whether Chappel's style will be effective with the Indian Team (provided he continues).

Shibi
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Chappel has a strong personality and likes to make known what he expects from the team.
Definitely, asking Ganguly to score a century and prove himself is demanding and I agree with Chappel if he would have done that. But asking captain to step down is nothing but humiliating a player, if that is what is strong personality then I would like to see chappel bidding adieu as Indian coach. Please leave Chappel if even though not intentional your way of coaching is affecting teams integrity and unity which Ganguly has built for past 5 years!
shibi

Post by shibi »

Here is a clash of personalities. Ganguly has a strong personality and so do Chappel. It is not something new, people already knew it before Chappel was hired. But somehow people assumed that they could coexist and build a stronger team.

No player is bigger than the team. So if the team's interests warrant the exclusing of a player, even if he is the captain, so be it. Only the official version should be that he was injured or something of that sort and not 'dropped'. And everthing should be within the team and not for the whole world to know.

I can understand Ganguly's frustration. He was trying to score runs and what a better opportunity than against a team like Zimbawe. My point is that he could have taken the frustration directly with the coach or with the BCCI rather than to the press.

Shibi
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

My only point is that he could have taken the frustation directly with the coach or with the BCCI rather than to the press.
Shibi dude he didn't go to press :damn: . Harsha Bhogle has asked him like 10 times about it and the question was "if he was suggested to step down" and Ganguly's answer was a mere "yes" . Neither he said it in a bad tone nor he suggested it is chappel who did it. And infact he took it in a positive manner and said that motivated him more and all. And there is nothing wrong in what he said!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Ganguly takes india to first series win outside subcontinent and his captaincy will be assured for another decade!!! :devil:

He hits century against zimbabwe and he will take that to bed for next ... months!!! :devil:
shibi

Post by shibi »

Kumar wrote:Ganguly takes india to first series win outside subcontinent and his captaincy will be assured for another decade!!! :devil:
Well said Kumar. That sums up everthing.
nothingnew wrote: Harsha Bhogle has asked him like 10 times about it and the question was "if he was suggested to step down" and Ganguly's answer was a mere "yes" . Neither he said it in a bad tone nor he suggested it is chappel who did it. And infact he took it in a positive manner and said that motivated him more and all. And there is nothing wrong in what he said!

Sometimes a mere look can suggest more than a thousand words
Sometimes words 'unsaid' explain things better than words said

It is clear what he was actually hinting at. But if you fail to see it or doesn't want to see it, I cant help.

shibi
SriramP
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by SriramP »

I didn't understand what was so well said by Kumar there.. That was Ganguly-bashing without any facts... and was in poor taste...!
SriramP

Post by SriramP »

I don't understand how differences can creep up so soon... just 2 years ago Ganguly was was taking a lot of advice from Greg chappell... and when Greg was nominated as one of the prospective coaches, I thought Ganguly was happy with it and probably would have hoped for Chappell to become the coach..! All of a sudden so many differences... still we are speculating I know as there is no clear evidence that it was indeed Chappell who asked ganguly to step down... but whatever is happening is not good for Indian cricket and hope it is resolved soon... without removal of the coach or captain..! I still hope it is some outside force (administrative members) trying to create a rift and not someone inside like Chappell..! It could actually be some administrative member using Chappell as a pawn in this power game..!!

I don't know why Harsha did that.. The guy is generally good and I have been a fan of his presentation since years...! I didn't listen to it but read the article on sportsnetwork and it did sound like Harsha crossed the boundary..! But during or until 2002 Natwest series, I didn't notice any kind of hatred between Harsha and Ganguly as PKB said in one of his posts.. Did something happen after that series which caused this ? The guy who wrote a wonderful article on sports journalism on the same website also mentions Harsha as one of the role models of sports journalism in India which I agree with... How come this sudden change... ? Am I missing something here..?
puneets

Post by puneets »

HT reports
It’s either Ganguly or me now: Greg
Pradeep Magazine
New Delhi, September 16, 2005

Sourav Ganguly is right. He was indeed asked to step down by coach Greg Chappell. But he wasn’t supposed to talk about it. This was to remain amongst him, the coach and Rahul Dravid to whom a rattled Ganguly had turned for advice.

An incensed Chappell has now let it be known that he has had it with the skipper. “Either he stays or I stay,” he is reported to have said.

So what made him ask Ganguly to step down? And why on the eve of the match? These decisions are surely not made just a few hours ahead of a game.

In a way, it seems, Ganguly asked for it.

The skipper had been in two minds for a while about a slot in the team — whether to choose his favourite, Yuvraj Singh, or Mohammed Kaif, the man in form in the triangular series that preceded the Tests.

So he went to the coach, asking him for his opinion. Chappell told him either was fine with him and it was the captain’s call. But Ganguly insisted, asking for a “frank opinion”.

Chappell should’ve warned him. But he didn’t. The “frank opinion” was devastatingly frank: “I think both should play as they’re in form and it’s you who needs to sit out as you’re out of form and you need to work on your game.”

This completely threw Ganguly. He sought out his deputy, Rahul Dravid, who rushed to the coach. “This is not the way to take Indian cricket forward,” Dravid argued with the legendary Australian cricketer.

He even sought manager Amitabh Chowdhary’s help and finally everything was sorted out. Ganguly kept his place in the team, and he also went ahead and picked Yuvraj.

And everyone in the know agreed that not a word of this exchange should get out. Ganguly didn’t keep his end of the deal. And that has surprised insiders.

Those who know the two well, insist that the last has not been heard on the subject.