Misc. news about Indian hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

mugu
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Misc. news about Indian hockey

Post by mugu »

jayakris wrote:Anyway, I too was surprised why he, of all people, was picked for player of the year!!! .. I was more surprised that nobody here had asked why till PKB asked... So, what is the deal?
Jay
He has been V. S. Vinay till the IHF announced the probables for CT05. From then on, he has been Vinay as well as VINAYA. I heard the other day, one of the commentators saying his name is VINAYA. Will try to check it out in due course.
As for his selection as a candidate for `player of the year' award, yes, I too am surprised. I was also surprised the other day when he was chosen `man of the match' .
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I was puzzled at that name change to Vinaya - I was pretty sure I had always heard VS Vinay before, and I too heard the commentators yesterday calling him Vinaya!

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Vinay appears to be a bit of a blue-eyed boy. What has he done to earn nomination for world player of the year?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

i changed the name of this thread from "Good news about Indian hockey" to "Misc. news about Indian hockey"

Till KPS Gill goes, or he hires a top foreign coach, there will be NO good news about Indian hockey. Absolutely none. Mark it down.

Jay
puneets

Post by puneets »

that was a good move on your part Jay.
No news is good news for a team which came in LAST at home in the Champions Trophy.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

PTI report on Indian Hockey's 2005 Performance (?) ...

Year to forget for Indian hockey

Jaydeep.
shaili

Post by shaili »

Has anyone posted the HT 4 part series on Indian Hockey? I am not sure if it is available in the online version. Today they featured 'Killing Fields IV' in the print edition, Mumbai.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Shaili,

mugu posted about it in the Champions Trophy thread.
It's a one-time free registration.
Here's the link to HT e-paper:
http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/login.aspx
India1989

Post by India1989 »

Sloppy performance by Indian team. I guess the women's team did better then us.

India finished last in Champions Trophy. That is a shame for a country which once boosted of winning 6 consecutive olympic gold medals.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Read the latest twist in FIH quest to kill Asian hockey

http://www.indianhockey.com/html3/10mar06.php

I can see India failing to qualify for the Olympics. Although with Gill/ Kothikumran's efforts we may fail to qualify even if the Europeans didn't manipulate their
power/control on international hockey.

Shame on the respective Asian hockey Federations for allowing YET another 'flawed' ruling.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The IHF desperately needs someone like Dalmiya to come in and take on the Europeans. FIH has been steadily altering the rules of the game to deprive us of our natural advantage, and now they are even attempting to get away with cutting us (and other Asian nations) off from the major tournaments. Outrageous, and utterly sad that nobody is doing anything about these repeated travesties.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

Have wondered ever since this debate was triggered in the Indian newspapers and on websites, what the fuss is all about.
India has three chances to qualify:
1) Win Asian Games or
2) Be in the top 8 in the FIH ranking at the end of World Cup 2006 (Sept 2006) (Not top 6 as is being made out) or
3) Win a qualifying tournament
This is exactly the chance Pakistan will have, Germany will have (they will have to win European nations championships, corresponding to Asian Games), The Netherlands will have, Spain will have or England will have.
So where is the bias?
If we say Germany and Spain have a better chance to figure in the top 8 (presuming that, let’s say, Holland wins the continental championship) than India, then so be it. They are better than us. Simple. Why are we cribbing about it?.
Remember, Europe will have 1) Germany, 2) Holland, 3) Spain, 4) England, 5) France, 6) Belgium, 7) Poland, 8) Russia while Asia will have 1) India, 2) Pakistan, 3) Korea, 4) Malaysia, 5) Japan, 6) Thailand, 7) Bangladesh or something close to that.
Which looks to be the tougher of the continents?
Wouldn’t it have been easier for the Europeans teams to qualify through the old system (five continental champions, host, plus six qualifiers from a qualifying tournament) than the present one? If that be so, then why are the Europeans making things more difficult for themselves?!
Even after we fail to finish in the top 8 of the world ranking list we will be able to compete in a qualifying tournament (without any of the top eight teams of the world plus China) and if we win that we are through. That means, assuming that we are No. 9 in the world, we will at best have No. 10 and/or No 11 with us (unless a rank outsider won one of the continental championships!). If we can’t hope to achieve that even, do we deserve a place in the Olympics?
Somehow the Indian media has spread the impression that this is beyond India’s capability and this is a method devised to keep India out. I can’t see how!
Every sport, where there is a quota system, has devised tough qualification procedures for Olympics. We have to accept the fact and stop thinking about Europeans out to destroy Asian hockey. The FIH President and others have time and again said that India is needed very much for hockey to survive at the world level. More people watch the sport here than anywhere else, on the ground, on TV. There are more sponsors in our country for the game than anywhere else!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I read the FIH report that details the changes in the Olympic qualifying rules, and I came to the same conclusion as mugu has written in this forum.

Why are Indians afraid of the new changes?

IMHO, it has to do with inability of the Indian hockey team to win a tournament. If India has to qualify for the Olympics in hockey then the team has to:

- win the Asian Games gold medal
- do well in the World Cup and other tournaments to maintain or improve on their ranking
- win one of three qualifying tournaments

Read the new rules and what they mean to teams from various continents.

New Qualifying Rules for Olympics

Guide to Olympic Qualifying

World Men's Hockey Rankings as of Dec 2005
India1989

Post by India1989 »

Well what days have arrived. We have to worry about qualifying for olympics. my god!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

The Sports Authority of India has ordered eight eight new artificial turf hockey fields at a cost of Rs. 20-22 crores. According to the DNA report, some of the places getting the new hockey fields are Mumbai’s Kandivali centre, Coorg, Gandhinagar, Patiala, Kolkata and Rourkela. The National Stadium in New Delhi will get floodlights.

Eight new artificial turfs for India

BTW, the report was written by Manish Kumar. Is he the same person who used to write hockey reports for The Times of India?