WTA Tour/Non-India Fed Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: WTA Tour/Non-India Fed Cup

Post by prasen9 »

Sabalenka-Linette is the other. Rybakina-Sabalenka if it goes by seeds but chances of things (meaning both) going by seeds is maybe 35%. :-)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rybakina was quite brilliant in her victory over Swiatek, and was clinical again today in beating Azarenka. The first set was close, with several breaks of service. But it was all Rybakina in the second set, apart from a service break for Azarenka at 2-5, but followed by yet another break for Rybakina. The Wimbledon champion has an excellent service and killer backhand. The forehand is pretty effective as well.

Sabalenka has yet to lose a match, or even a set, so far this year. But I would still put Rybakina as the favourite in the final, despite Sabalenka being the higher ranked player.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rybakina is brutal. That serve is booming and the strokes are powerful. If she is finding her shots, it is game over. I too think she is the favorite. I like watching all tennis but I think Wimbledon and then the Aussie Open (not to the same extent as W) reward power a bit more and so from a watching perspective I like it a bit less. It will be interesting to see them in the French Open when the clay will equalize things and give the (slightly) weaker players a fighting chance.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rybakina and Sabalenka have been blown away by Ons Jabeur this year at Wimbledon.
Vondrousova usually chokes in finals -- she has a silver medal from the Olympics and a FO runner-up trophy to prove it. Jabeur looks like the favourite in the Wimbledon final this year. An Arab and Muslim champion for the first time, looking very likely now.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sabalenka's ex-boy friend, Konstantin Kolstov, appears to have either committed suicide or died accidentally (jumped off a hotel balcony when drunk). The initial reports said he was her boyfriend, but she herself tweeted that they "were no longer together". Kolstov wasn't staying with her, but had just followed her to Miami to try and sort things out with her. Sabalenka had arrived in Miami with her new partner (not yet publicly identified), travelling in Grigor Dimitrov's private jet. Dimitrov really has a jet-setting lifestyle, despite the lack of Slam achievements.

Before this clarification, I found it very odd indeed that Aryna Sabalenka planned to continue playing the Miami Open a couple of days after her partner (boyfriend) died, possibly jumping off their hotel room balcony. But of course, he was no longer her partner, and they were not living together in Miami, which now makes the situation a lot more understandable.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I read fallen off the balcony while drunk. But, the police seemed to tag it suicide. Then, jumping off the balcony would be more like it. But, maybe the police is not sure and made the more polite call? Anyway, tragic. When I first heard it, I thought that it is yet another CTE case. But, seems like not? Rugby is possibly the worst wrt head injuries, imho. But, NHL also has people violently beating up opponents with only a wrap on the wrist penalty.