Indian Swimming Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Swimming ... (Teen phenom Khade cooking!)

Post by gbelday »

He shows a lot of promise guys!!  I haven't been so excited about Indian swimming since the days of Khazan Singh!!  He definitely needs to be handled properly.  We still have to keep in mind that swimming isn't really a 'rich' sport and endorsements and sponsors will be tough to find.  There isn't huge prize money to be won in the international arena.  So basically, he needs  a lot of help and if there is any fund raising effort going on, please post it here.  I am willing to contribute whatever I can.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Swimming federation of India is saying it will do it's best for Veerdhawal :-

http://www.hindustantimes.in/news/181_1959488,0007.htm

The region from where he comes from i.e Western Maharashra has been politically most influential in Maharastra & falls within rich sugar belt. So, he is likely to get a backing from industrialists & politicians in that region which can be useful in raising funds.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

He seems like the type of guy that the Mittal trust should sponsor.   

However, swimming is a sport that is very muscle intensive at the higher levels so Virdhawals timing will not improve automatically as one would expect simply based on age progression (at least as much as would be expected elsewhere).  Therefore, the challenge will be to find a coach who also understands his physique -- he seems to have the correct height and wing span.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Our fear is turning into the truth ... Veerdhawal Khade is facing shortage of cash for his future training ... As per his family and coach's estimation he needs Rs. 15 lacs (Rs. 1,500,000) for next 17 months training up to Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics ... But until now nobody is coming to help him ... Still no help from Swimming federation of India and Maharashtra State Government ... His Bangalore coach is asking him to affiliate with Karnataka, so Karnataka state government will willingly help him ... Mittal trust should seriously consider his case and stand behind him.

What happened to BCCI's plan of helping other talented sports persons? They decided to allocate Rs. 40 crores (Rs. 400,000,000) per year from their budget to help other sports ... Really sad picture of seeing this struggle by this phenomenal talent.

Jaydeep.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

Jaydeep, if there is a news report to this effect, could you please post the link? Or else give a gist of the story and indicate which paper? Thanks.
mugu
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Hi mugu,

Its in today's local marathi newspaper ... Sakal.

Here is the web link but article is in marathi.

Financial Problem for 'Mission Beijing' of Veerdhawal

Jaydeep.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

By the way, I had left a crypticl note a few days back about the doping angle, and had then heard that there does not seem to be any talk of this in Khade's case, though it exists in Indian swimming ... Forgot to post here.  mugu had PM'ed too - his silence was not to imply anything.

I hope Khade can get the proper help from some quarters.

Jay
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

More Khade news.....

http://www.hindu.com/2007/04/08/stories ... 561700.htm

Nice to see him get international training offers....but the sponsorship situation still looms.....i'm not too worried though, i'm sure something will come through for him, he is simply too large a talent for SOMEBODY not to want to sponsor him.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

amr090 wrote: ... he is simply too large a talent for SOMEBODY not to want to sponsor him.
In fact, just the opposite seems to be developing, with many sponsors/agents/agencies in queue. The Sports Authority of India looks to have staked its claim (its right for `first call') to sponsor him completely till the Beijing Games, but, as it happens with any Govt-sponsored venture, the paper-work seems to be taking more time than desirable. Khade will surely have his sponsor/s.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks , Jaydeep for sharing that Sakal article.

Some of the facts mentioned in the article are a bit perplexing ( which many of you would not have understood as the artice is in Marathi) .
E.g His father says that he had to spend about 2 dollars for a water bottle.in Australia & they had to spend 2.5 lakh rupees for this event (world championships). He also says that they will have to spend about Rs. 15 L for taking part in tournaments in 4 countries before olympics.

Do the swimmers have to pay out of their own pocket even when they are representing the country ?

Otherwise , the article looks like intended to appeal to prospective sponsers to support Khade.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

jaydeep wrote: Hi mugu,

Its in today's local marathi newspaper ... Sakal.

Jaydeep.
Thanks Jaydeep. I was curious as to what could have been written in such an article at a time when people were making efforts to support the boy. Since it is in Marathi, I may have to ask one of my Marathi friends to translate it for me. Yet, I can understand the basic argument, especially after sameer has given some of it above.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sameer, as per my knowledge swimming federation doesn't support our players for these tournaments so we always see very rare occasion that our swimmers r participation in international meets (other than Asiad and Olympics where government lift burden of expenses) ... So these swimmers needs to participate in these events with spending their own bucks.

Jaydeep.

PS. Mugu as per ur suggestion sending u the PM of translation of an article.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Some positive things r happening after Sakal's article ... Sakal is started collecting donation for Veerdhawal Khade's Olympic preparation with their own contribution of Rs. 100,000, they r planning to stop collecting contribution once figure reaches to Rs. 1,500,000.

Also after this article many individuals r coming forward and directly contacting Mr. Vikram Khade ... Until now 20 individuals send cheques to them.

Atlast Maharashtra state government is coming ahead to help him ... As per report in next 2 days they r planning to declare Rs. 500,000 prize money and a flat for Veerdhawal.

Jaydeep.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

why the hell are they giving him a flat...he needs money for training not a freaking house! the governments are so dumb, give the guy top training not a house...
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Hey, he can sell that flat :)  Take whatever comes your way!