Super Bowl

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
gvhvhg
Please enter the middle number: 1

Super Bowl

Post by gvhvhg »

Who are you guys cheering for? I pull for the underdog 99% percent of the time, this being the exception. I feel that the Patriots are a no-frills champion team....they have no one guy who fills up the box score, they just have guys who know how to win, Tom Brady is the ultimate competitor. In a way the Patriots are not your typical favorite, because I do not think that they are given the credit they deserve, perhaps that is why Im for them.

Anyway its tied at 14 and the 4th quarter has just begun...With Tom Brady leading the way this is exactly how we want it....I say New England wins 24-21 on an Adam Vinateri FG once again :D
gvhvhg

Super Bowl

Post by gvhvhg »

actually make that 27-24 but the same ending
gvhvhg

Super Bowl

Post by gvhvhg »

haha i got it right the first time....even though i got the specifics rong :D
suresh

Super Bowl

Post by suresh »

Sad day for PKB and me. (PKB, do ou follow the iggles?). Us "iggles" fans were sitting with our
fingers crossed hoping that our guys would win this time. I hope
we don't have to go another three times to win the superbowl.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Super Bowl

Post by BSharma »

I spent my evening with my friends at a Super Bowl party - a bunch of Indians with no strong feelings for either team. I became a Dallas Cowboys fan in 1975 when Roger Staubach was the Q-back and I saw my first football game. There was a big rivalry between Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas and New York Giants, and Dallas and Minnesota Vikings. I often went to the Cowboys stadium to watch the game and rooted for the Cowboys, or another NFC team if the Cowboys were not playing in the Super Bowl.
PKBasu

Super Bowl

Post by PKBasu »

Normally, an American friend here invites me to watch the SuperBowl with him early in the morning. I didn't make it this time, partly because it is my daughter's birthday and I wanted to be with her this morning -- and partly because this is the first time (in the 11 years since I left the US) that I haven't followed the (American) Football season at all. As I was driving into work this morning, I was astonished that I hadn't even switched the TV on for a short time this morning to check how the Eagles were doing; time and distance appear to have gradually obscured my interest in baseball and (American) football, I reflected, although other aspects of the American influence (such as reading the IHT as a proxy for the NYT) remain...

I did follow the Eagles in the old days (even went to a game or two) and also Suresh's (and my) varsity side (which usually won the Ivy League title when we were there); ironically, I do occasionally check the Ivy League scores (more in basketball than Football though). I would've rejoiced if the Eagles had finally won the Super Bowl, but since I am ashamed to admit I don't even know the name of "our" current quarterback, my regret at today's loss is strictly limited...
(Actually, there is also a more prosaic explanation for why I wasn't anywhere near watching the Super Bowl today: the American friend is away holidaying in Vietnam today...I did phone him last week -- with the intention of discussing Super Bowl plans -- but he said he would be away. So perhaps I haven't been so completely de-America-ised yet!).
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Super Bowl

Post by Kumar »

I watched with my friends and I was so mad.. This was the game eagles should have won in their sleep ..

McNabb stinked the whole place big time.. and their last two possesions was just so stupid.. with them going into huddle after every snap..

Suresh do you have a set box to watch it in madras? why is madras still using setbox when no other city does it..
suresh

Super Bowl

Post by suresh »

Kumar wrote:I
Suresh do you have a set box to watch it in madras? why is madras still using setbox when no other city does it..
No, I don't have a set top box and hence can't watch ESPN/Star Sports because I think
that us consumers are being taken for a ride by the various networks. It is rather
annoying that only Madras has accepted it -- I hear that parts of Delhi also do it. The
Tamil channels cleverly avoided this by going free at the last moment and so the
majority of the consumers are fine or don't care.

PKB, the quarterback is Donovan Mcnabb, who in many ways is similar to Randall
Cunningham from our times -- he is black and is a multiple threat with his mobility.
Randall and to a certain extent, John Elway were the first QB's to run with the
ball successfully. I do not follow the Iggles closely but keep one eye open.
PKBasu

Super Bowl

Post by PKBasu »

Having read the newspaper reports, the name of McNabb (which was a dim memory until yesterday) did come back to me. He does appear to be better than Cunningham (which is actually a huge compliment), considering that the Eagles are now consistently winning their Conference.
People talk about the Red Sox, and the enduring futility of Boston teams. Of course, now the Patriots have helped turn it around for Boston teams, and the Red Sox have turned into a Cinderella side.
Surely people should now start talking about the inability of Philadelphia sides to win anything since 1983... (since the days of Dr J, Julius Erving, when the Sixers dominated the NBA). Nowadays, the Flyers are a very competitive side, but they too seem to fall at the final hurdle. The Phillies made the World Series in my last year in the US IIRC (1994) but lost to the Blue Jays in the sixth game. And the Sixers (despite the presence of Iverson) don't seem to make the grade either....
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Super Bowl

Post by Kumar »

Anonymous, that probably excuses the "atrocious" last 5 minutes, when the eagles went into huddle every time instead of "no huddle" offense.. Also it was just mind boggling to see westbrook catch the ball on the first snap of the last drive at 4 yard line (middle of the field) with defenders swarming all over him (that led to eagles losing close to 25 seconds)..
He should have probably dropped the ball..
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: Super Bowl

Post by Kumar »

Wow ... what an upset...  All New york fans should be jumping up and down when NewYork Giants beat New England Patriots 17-14.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Kumar wrote: Wow ... what an upset...  All New york fans should be jumping up and down when NewYork Giants beat New England Patriots 17-14.

Though not a NYG fan per se, I am jumping up and down.  Patriots let their unbeaten record and past titles get to their head a bit once they beat the Colts.  Brady and the model etc. was probably a distraction too.  Toward the season end, they were no where close to playing as good as they were playing early in the season.  I have to hand it to Randy Moss though -- what a turn around in his eventful career.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I can't ever be thrilled when a NY team wins[no Philly fan can] :-) So the Manning family adds another super bowl ring to the family chest. Congratulations to the Giants for stopping the amazing run of the Patriots. With the Celtics dominating the East -- there was a good chance for Boston winning all the three major professional titles this year. If Celtics win this year, then the Patriots will have the "worst" result in Boston!
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Yeah!!  Finally, some team from that Boston area is on the losing side!! I've never watched a more entertaining super bowl!! What a great defense!!  What a team!!  (Man)ning is the man!!
Last edited by gbelday on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.